Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 674 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Australian Open, Melbourne
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 01:17 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 05:34
First Grand Slam of the Year. Here's a snapshot of her quarter of the draw.

(3)Safina v. Kudryatseva
Makarova v. Rezai
Mayr v. Q
(25)Kanepi v. Q

(19)Hantuchova v. Dellacqua
Craybas v. Johansson
Petkovic v. Q
(15)Cornet v. Koryttseva

(11)Wozniacki
(17)Chakvetadze
(5)Ivanovic
(29)Kleybanova

Drawing Dellacqua is a disappointment, but you cannot complain with the potential second round opponents. Considering the other possibilities, I'm fairly content with Cornet and Safina as the seeded players in her quarter. She beat Cornet in Melbourne last year and really should have won in New Haven had she played even a decent match. Safina, while very good, is hands down the weakest of the top seeds given her lack of an extended track record as a top player. Of course, given Daniela's form over the past nine months, it's a bit silly to look past round one. But being a fan means you have to be optimistic when you can.

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Australian Open
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 01:56 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 12:34
Not a bad draw. 1st round will be tricky but at least she will be on a big court against the Aussie Dellacqua, so maybe the happy memories of last year will inspire Daniela to play some good tennis. Potentially I see hopefully 3rd or 4th round for Daniela but that's pretty much all I will hope for...

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 02:39 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 11:34
Dellacqua's a tricky opponent as she had a good run here last year, beating Schnyder and Mauresmo and she beat Bartoli at Roland Garros and Schnyder at Wimbledon, so she is someone who raises her game at Slams and with the home support, she can be a dangerous opponent. But she got absolutely thrashed by Errani in Sydney and lost to Kimiko Date (one woman veteran tour) in Tokyo qualifying in her last match of 2008. It is a match that Daniela should win provided she plays well, but Dellacqua can give Daniela problems. As Daniela's last year's semi-finalist and popular in Australia and Dellacqua's a top Australian there's a very good chance it'll be on either Laver or Vodafone, so a tv match :bananasrock:

Should Daniela get past Dellacqua, I'd expect Daniela to beat Craybas or Johansson easily enough, although you've got to respect them as opponents.

Daniela beat Cornet here the previous two years and was unlucky to lose in New Haven, but Cornet had a good run in Sydney beating Petrova. While Daniela can beat her, Cornet will feel confident against Daniela.

Daniela has the winning record against Safina and has won the last three matches, but Safina's form and results have been much better than Daniela's since and she'd be the big favourite should they meet.

Fourth round is achievable and given Daniela's results and form since she came back from injury, that would be really good and her biggest winning streak since Indian Wells, although she has to take it one match at a time. Dellacqua and Cornet will both be difficult opponents before then. The Australian Open has always been a tournament where Daniela's done well and where she's had her best slam runs, so hopefully she can keep it up this year.

Apropos of nothing, but why is the Margaret Court Arena not just called the Margaret Court?

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 12:16 

Local Time:
Apropos of nothing, but why is the Margaret Court Arena not just called the Margaret Court?

Because Margaret Court is the woman's name, so if they left it at that it would be like calling a stadium the 'Roger Federer'.

Tier II Title Holder
 Post subject: Re: Australian Open, Melbourne
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 15:19 

Local Time:
In her present form Daniela will need luck to survive the first rounds, but for more she really needs a wonder.

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 15:22 

Local Time:
If I remember correctly, Dellacqua is a hard hitting player. Since Daniela is always having problem with hard hitter, it will be a very difficult first round, given her form right now. I hope she will have a good preparation for this match.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 16:11 

Local Time:
tricky opponent,at least tv match

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 16:30 

Local Time:
Dellacqua will be a hard challenge for Daniela, because she will have the crowd behind her.
If Daniela gets past her, she might reach the fourth round.
But let's see, you can never know.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 19:15 

Local Time:

Because Margaret Court is the woman's name, so if they left it at that it would be like calling a stadium the 'Roger Federer'.

Is it the same Margaret Court who's won more slams than anyone, the Grand Slam in 1970, shares with Daniela the distinction of a career grand slam in mixed doubles but lost to Bobby Riggs?

I really hope you can tell me because I know so little about tennis.

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 19:38 

Local Time:
Dellacqua won't be easy but i think Danka can get past her and move to 3rd Round. Some 1. Round Matches are just great!

Azarenka - Kvitova
Chakvetadze - Keothavong
Zvonareva - Rybarikova

*Nicole Vaidisova*Agnes Szavay*Tatiana Golovin*

*Daniela Hantuchova*Agnieszka Radwanska*Dinara Safina*
Alona Bondarenko*Iveta Benesova*Aleksandra Wozniak*
Elena Dementieva*Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova*Stefanie Vögele*

<3

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 20:02 

Local Time:

Is it the same Margaret Court who's won more slams than anyone, the Grand Slam in 1970, shares with Daniela the distinction of a career grand slam in mixed doubles but lost to Bobby Riggs?

I really hope you can tell me because I know so little about tennis.

Yes, your talking about the same person, that's her. ;)

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 21:32 

Local Time:
Billie Jean King beat Margaret Court in the Wimbledon first round in 1962 and beat Bobby Riggs in the 1973 Battle of the Sexes and got the entire Slam site named after her, not just a court.

Billie Jean King also has a career grand slam in Mixed doubles, just like Daniela.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 22:03 

Local Time:
Quite happy with that draw. Ok first round could have been better, but thats a GS. Hope for a good run and a great result.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 22:22 

Local Time:
Billie Jean King beat Margaret Court in the Wimbledon first round in 1962 and beat Bobby Riggs in the 1973 Battle of the Sexes and got the entire Slam site named after her, not just a court.

Billie Jean King also has a career grand slam in Mixed doubles, just like Daniela.

Wow, I'm impressed.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. January 2009 03:44 

Local Time:
I'm sure you are.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 674 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next