Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Site Admin
 Post subject: Re: Rogers Cup, Montreal
PostPosted: 26. July 2008 05:16 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 11:56
nope she didn't have any points to defend.

Profile WWW

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 26. July 2008 10:26 

Local Time:
Maybe it is really better to skip this tournament and to practice. Although you need match experience, it doesn't make sense if you just lose every time in the first round.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 26. July 2008 11:24 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 10:56
Hmm, well I was surprised to hear originally that she was playing this tournament because she very rarely plays the Rogers Cup despite it being a tier I but its still a bit of a shame that she isnt here, but she has a week off to rest and fine tune her game and hopefully it will come together in the next tournament in Beijing. Its a little event called the Olympics next lol

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 26. July 2008 12:25 

Local Time:
There is no reason for her withdrawing from this tournament, just a schedule change. Yes she would have had a good draw if she had entered (qualifier in round 1), but im glad she is resting before the Olympics and all the hype that surrounds the event.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 26. July 2008 14:37 

Local Time:
Well might as well make the most of this thread as a place to discuss the tournament. Being a Tier I is should be full of talking points

Scott

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 28. July 2008 16:01 

Local Time:
If Daniela's not feeling right physically or mentally, I think it's best that she doesn't play as another heavy loss could really affect for a while, but taking some time off to rest and work on her game would be a lot more beneficial. She can to Slovakia or Sanchez Casal in Barcelona and then go on to Beijing.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Rogers Cup, Montreal
PostPosted: 31. July 2008 18:32 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 12:56
According to WTA's "NOTES & NETCORDS" (issue from July 28) Daniela have missed Montreal due to "scheduling conflict". She is preparing for Olympics in Barcelona now.

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 31. July 2008 19:09 

Local Time:
O rly? I guess I didnt make a mistake then.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 1. August 2008 18:23 

Local Time:
Ivanovic lost to Paszek. Now Jankovic has the chance to get number 1 again this week.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 1. August 2008 22:18 

Local Time:
Go JJ. I like her, she's sweet and cudly. If she plays well then i think she deserves number one. Like Martin says she is a very consistent player and deserves no1 spot.

Stay Safe all from Mathius

Profile WWWYIM

Site Admin
PostPosted: 2. August 2008 06:28 

Local Time:
well JJ lost too, so Ana will remain number 1.

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 2. August 2008 14:41 

Local Time:
Until Jankovic wins a grand slam (or AT LEAST gets to a final) then I don't think she deserves the number 1 spot, even when considering her consistency. In twenty years time I doubt she will be remembered particularly well, unless she gets a major title.
With Sharapova out of the US Open then I think Jankovic will feel she has a chance of getting the number 1 spot as Ivanovic is the only other close contender, and Kuzzy has runner-up points to defend from last year. I hope Ana can hold on for a while longer, but at the moment her performances do not justify her ranking.

The latter stages of this Tier I should be interesting, particularly since there are no top-five players present. Hopefully Cibulkova can see off Bartoli, who seems to have found some form since her loss at Roland Garros. I don't think Azarenka will trouble Safina, arguably the most consistent player this year. The Russian could realistically reach the top-five in the rankings by the end of the year if her run continues. I think the year-end rankings could once again be determined by how well the Williams' sisters do at the US Open and at the rest of the big tournaments at the end of the year. If they don't find any form then the top-ten could look entirely different to what many people expected at the start of the year.

Last edited by asj001 on 2. August 2008 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 2. August 2008 14:43 

Local Time:
Seeing as were discussing this in here as well i might as well post what i did in the WTA Tour Thread about the number 1 spot...

The top of the womens tour is all over the place atm, which is great for the players knocking on the door of the top 20 and top 10 but as for the players right at the top the number 1 spot seems almost a curse or something.

Sharapova had the number 1 spot and faltered, now through injury she is out for months. Ivanovic claims it after a brilliant French Open and now she is struggling with shock defeats at Wimbledon and now this loss to Pasek. The only reason Ivanovic has the number 1 spot still is because Jankovic has bottled it twice.

Jankovic, yes she is the most consistent player on the tour, but when it comes to the big occasion, shes not cut out for it. She reminds me alot of Clijsters. Clijsters, a former world number 1, was no doubt a brilliant player, but she couldnt cut it at the big, big occasions until she claimed her one and only grand slam title. No offence meant to tournaments like Indian Wells and Miami which are great tournaments in their own rights, but when the history of tennis is written, people will be remembered on their performances in the Slams instead of Tier I's.

Jankovic has had two golden opportunities to claim the top spot and has both times failed, she has never even reached a grand slam final, let alone win one. And yes she is by far and away the most consistent but personally I dont think everyone will consider her to be a worthy number 1, especially during this time that the tour is going through after Henin's retirement.

If Jankovic goes on to win the US Open and claim the number 1 spot, then that would shut me up completely, but until then, i have my doubts that Jankovic is that deserving of the number 1 position in the womens game

Scott

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 2. August 2008 20:12 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 04:56
correct me if im wrong but jelena will become number one becasue there wil be more points that ana will lose because she cant defend that other title that she won which will be, i think, at the time of the olympics. so jelena will become number one augest 11th i think.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 2. August 2008 20:17 

Local Time:
correct me if im wrong but jelena will become number one becasue there wil be more points that ana will lose because she cant defend that other title that she won which will be, i think, at the time of the olympics. so jelena will become number one augest 11th i think.

Yes, similarly to Nadal, Jankovic will automatically become world number one, on 11th August.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next