Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: New Haven Open At Yale
PostPosted: 22. August 2012 01:16 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 05:57
Daniela's record Pistolesi since Miami. He wasn't at Indian Wells (Why not?) so between Miami and New Haven Daniela's record under him is 3 wins 8 losses on tour; including Olympics & Fed Cup when she worked with Liptak, it's 6 & 10. Every previous coach had a far better record before Daniela parted company with them.

Liptak, 2011: 10 wins 7 losses, between Stanford and Beijing, top 10 win over Bartoli in Cincinnati.
Cuadrado, 2010: 7 wins 8 losses between Stanford & Beijing.
Passos, 2009: 13 wins 8 losses between Stanford & Beijing, top 10 win over Zvonareva in Cincinnati.
Sanchez Cassal, 2008: 10 wins 13 losses between Wimbledon & Luxembourg although Daniela may have left them before Luxembourg.
Sears, 2006: 13 wins 8 losses between Auckland & Miami, top 10 win over Schnyder in Sydney and defending champion Serena Williams at Australian Open.

I apologise if I miscounted or got wrong exactly what tournament was the last for each coach but this just shows how poor Daniela's recent form has been under Pistolesi and every previous coach has been replaced with superior records prior to parting with Daniela. Daniela's an intelligent woman and determined and ambitious, so I find it believe she isn't at least looking at alternatives. I can't believe she's going to tolerate this without doing something about it. Carlos Rodriguez wasn't coaching and you can see the immediate effect he's had on Li Na. I think a big reason for him joining her was that he was running an academy in China. Krajan was available although he's apparently coaching Laura Robson now so good coaches are available.

This is very left field and he's on sabbatical at the moment, but what's wrong with Pep Guardiola as Daniela's coach? He's staying in New York at the moment, he's a proven winner, used to live in Rome, he completely turned Barcelona around and he turned Messi into the best player in the world. Plus, he uses Gladiator as a motivational tool: Honestly, I think he'd do better than Pistolesi.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. August 2012 01:42 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 06:57
Liptak payed Daniela against Spain when she was clearly hampered by injury. That should never have happened and counts hugely against him. As unimpressive as Claudio has been,he is no way responsible for the injury that has blighted her season.

However I don't know what he has done to Daniela's serve. Since when has she had so many problems with her ball toss?

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. August 2012 01:57 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 00:57
I can't resist, Chungwit. All the time I've been in the Forum, I have gotten a kick out of your signature line. However, with your feelings about Mr. Pistolesi so clear, if Daniela doesn't kick him to the curb soon, you may have to amend it...Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything, except her choice of coach! ;)

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 22. August 2012 18:30 

Local Time:
Daniela basically gave up her season to get Slovakia in to the World Group.

Daniela probably wouldn't have played if she was against a better player than Dominguez Lino. I don't think she'd have played against Medina Garrigues, Martinez Sanchez or Suarez Navarro if they'd been playing. Likewise, if Slovakia had a better no. 3 than Rybarikova then Daniela wouldn't have played. Rybarikova was hopeless in the ties against Serbia in 2010 & 2011 and I doubt she'd have been better against Spain. Cepelova had a good run at Wimbledon beating Medina Garrigues and Schmiedlova got to the Roland Garros junior final so there is some strength in depth. Ultimately, it would have been Daniela's decision to play and I don't think she'd have played if she didn't want to or couldn't. A far worse decision was playing doubles with Gajdosova in Stuttgart a couple of days later when she was obviously injured and had absolutely nothing to gain by doing so.

Who knows, I think Daniela may have wanted to get redemption for the loss to Serbia in 2011. She got so much criticism for that and she admitted it hurt her. This is going over old ground. Dominika beat Jovanovski and Ivanovic retired against her while Ivanovic played great against Daniela while Jankovic was rested and was able to outlast Daniela who'd played the day before. The doubles was freakish as Serbia were hopeless for the first set and and a half but they suddenly started hitting winners at will from 5-1 Slovakia in the second set while Rybarikova absolutely crumbled and I don't think she held serve for the rest of the match. She served for the match twice and blew it both times and she dropped serve to lose the second set and the match, basically it was an errorfest from her and Daniela was essentially playing by herself. Daniela held serve all the way through the final set, she was the only player to do so, but because she lost 3 matches she got the blame. Dominika was picked for doubles this year.

Dominika made a comment after she lost at the Olympics that she wasn't too bothered about losing and that slams were more important to her and she got so much criticism in Slovakia, a lot of it really vicious, that she had to make a statement a few days later saying that she was committed to playing for Slovakia. Daniela, in contrast, got a lot of praise for her commitment and patriotism.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. August 2012 19:29 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 00:57
Daniela basically gave up her season to get Slovakia in to the World Group.[quote="chungwit"]Daniela, in contrast, got a lot of praise for her commitment and patriotism.

At the time, I wrote that I was supportive of Daniela's decision. 4 months have passed, and they've mostly been a train wreck. So, if I knew then what I know now.............I'd still feel the same way. One can imagine that Dani knew what playing against Spain would do to her foot. My belief is that in the days before that tie, if we could have given her a crystal ball and shown her what would happen in the next 4 months, she would have still gone ahead and played for her beloved homeland. I think of how much she must have suffered during that clinching match. I have seen the video of her reactions after the match. I feel that, 30 years from now, that tie and that clincher will be among her very fondest memories of her career, and won't be dwelling on what happened at Montreal or New Haven. Here in America, top players duck out of Fed Cup and Davis Cup with such frequency that the ATP & WTA ought to create a season-ending award for the most creative excuse used to not play for the USA! Some of you won't agree, but I can't see how she's wrong in being a Slovkian patriot, and that the clinching win was truly one of her finest hours.

As long as I'm in this sort of rose-colored glasses mood...For all the losing since her return, how many times has Daniela been blown off the court? Of course many of these losses are to players she would have beaten in the past while controlling the racket with her toes, I know that. But she has been in almost all of the matches, has made some strong rallies. How often do we read of a golfer (it's a good analogy, given her love for that sport) who was floundering for weeks or months, got a tip from a colleague or a coach, made use of that to make a subtle adjustment, and in his or her next round hits every fairway, drains a lot of putts and shoots 62 or something like that? We know that there has been no let-up in Daniela's practice/training regimen. Maybe in these next few days, she gets that tip, makes that adjustment, and then in New York....well, it could happen, so we'd better watch!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. August 2012 19:42 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 06:57
Discretion is the better part of valour. Magdelena has been good enough to win 3 tournaments on the WTA-she is certainly good enough to beat Dominguez-Lino. Plus,the captain has the final word on who plays,and as her coach last year,he would have known all too well the seriousness of the problems with her heel. Yet in his interview on the Saturday night,Liptak said he was sure she would be able to play,injury be damned.

4 months later,we have to watch matches such as the one against Wozniak in Canada where she is still clearly ailing in her movement and consequently producing awful tennis. It remains an unforgivable decision to play her against Spain IMHO.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. August 2012 18:19 

Local Time:
The important thing is that Daniela gets fit and healthy. It took her a long time to get her form back when she came back in 2008, but a good coach would help her so much.

Since she's come back, Daniela's got a 3-2 record when she's worked with another coach (Liptak at Olympics, Cahill at Cincinnati) but she only won one match when Pistolesi's been coach. Pistolesi was the coach in Stuttgart when she played doubles there a couple of days after the Fed Cup and her performances in Indian Wells and Miami weren't that good.

Like Benji said, Daniela always had a good service motion and ball toss but it's terrible under Pistolesi whereas it was always consistent under all her previous coaches. Even in 2010 under Cuadrado when Daniela was really bothered by her back the serve was still solid.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2