Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Talk about Daniela

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 75  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Tier II Title Holder
 Post subject: Re: Articles & Interviews
PostPosted: 20. August 2008 17:28 

Local Time:
|17. May 2024| 22:51
Davenport delivers despite lack of sleep
By: David Borges, Register Staff08/19/2008

NEW HAVEN - To say that Lindsay Davenport and Daniela Hantuchova could have beaten Jill Craybas and Olga Govortsova in their sleep would be an unfair "diss" to Craybas and Govortsova. Except it's almost true.

Still weary from their respective trips from the Olympics in Beijing to the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament over the past few days, Davenport and Hantuchova managed to make relatively easy work of Craybas and Govortsova on Tuesday, winning a 6-3, 6-4, first-round doubles match before a big crowd at the Grandstand Court.

"We both felt like we could have done a couple things a little better," Davenport said, "but we've been really lucky, we've had a really great time this year when we've played together. We try to enjoy it and not take it too seriously ... try to have fun with it."

They'll face the Russian duo of Anastasia Rodionova and Galina Voskoboeva on Thursday.

Davenport said the duo's biggest hurdle was simply getting over their fatigue. Neither player has had much of a chance to sleep since their arrivals from China.

"Mostly on the court," Hantuchova quipped.

Hantuchova arrived in town on Friday after representing her native Slovakia in the Olympics. Davenport has had even more of a whirlwind few days: she and doubles partner Liezel Huber lost in the quarterfinals in Beijing at 1:30 a.m. on Friday. She stayed to watch the top-ranked American doubles pairing of Mike and Bob Bryan lose to Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka, slept from 4 to 8 a.m., then boarded a plane bound for Connecticut, arriving here on Saturday night.

"To say that my head was fully clear ... gosh, it's been hard sleeping," Davenport said. "We were talking about that so much on the court. In doubles, it's about reaction, and it's about seeing that ball and moving towards it. I felt, a couple of times, I could have done a better job with that."

In fact, the whole Olympic experience was a great one for both Hantuchova and Davenport.

"Everybody was so friendly," said Hantuchova. "It didn't matter what sport you were doing, what your ranking was, what nation, what color ... it was like a whole, big family. It was incredible to be a part of it."

The whole article here:

media master
PostPosted: 20. August 2008 18:50 

Local Time:
thx :D

Fan of Daniela Hantuchova since the Australian Open 2002 Other players: Azarenka,Wozniacki,Henin,Safarova,Benesova

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 21. August 2008 10:19 

Local Time:
Hantuchova survives a scare
By: Dan Nowak, Register Staff08/21/2008

NEW HAVEN - The women's draw of the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament looked as if it was going to lose a high seed in the third round Wednesday night with No. 2 Daniela Hantuchova trailing unseeded Olga Govortsova 6-5 in the third set.

With Hantuchova serving, Govortsova had three match points at 30-40 and twice with the advantage when the game went to deuce. The fourth time the game went to deuce, Govortsova returned the ball long and sent it into the net to give Hantuchova the game and send the match into a tiebreaker at 6-6.

Hantuchova won the final three points of the tiebreaker to come away with a marathon 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) victory on Stadium Court of the Connecticut Tennis Center in front of a night crowd of 5,026.

With both players struggling with their first serves and only giving the crowd fleeting glimpses of their typical power game, Hantuchova felt fortunate to get the win. She will face No. 7 Alize Cornet in the quarterfinals today on Stadium Court at approximately 1 p.m. She also will play a doubles quarterfinals match with partner Lindsay Davenport against Anastasia Rodionova and Galina Voskoboeva on Grandstand Court at 4 p.m.

"I was just happy to get through it," Hantuchova said. "At the beginning of the match I was a little bit tight. The match could have gone either way. I was glad how I saved those match points.

"I knew this would be a tough match."

In the third set, Govortsova held serve to go up 4-3 and she broke Hantuchova thanks to four unforced errors to go ahead 5-3. But Govortsova couldn't put away Hantuchova, who seemed to have nine lives in the match.

With the tiebreaker tied at 4, Govortsova hit a pair of wide shots to fall behind 6-4. When she returned the ball into the net on the next point to give Hantuchova the 7-4 tiebreaker win and the match, Govortsova showed her frustration by bouncing her racquet off the court. Hantuchova admitted she's not 100 percent recovered from a stress fracture in her foot that forced her to miss three tournaments in the spring. She said she is feeling much better and hopes to get as many matches in as possible heading into the U.S. Open.

"I'm looking forward to playing Cornet," Hantuchova said. "I beat her twice but she has improved since then. We'll see what happens.

"I'm happy to be on the court and playing because I need as many matches as I can get now. I'll have a busy day Thursday and that is okay. But right now I just want to get some rest."

Source:

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 22. August 2008 10:31 

Local Time:
By: David Borges, Register Staff08/21/2008

NEW HAVEN - OK, it wasn't exactly Tiger Woods limping around Torrey Pines en route to a U.S. Open title. The stakes weren't nearly as high, the injury not nearly as severe.
Still, minus her 'A' game and with a painful quadriceps injury, France's Alize Cornet showed plenty of heart in gritting her way to a three-set victory over No. 2 seed Daniela Hantuchova in a quarterfinal match Thursday at the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament.

After going up, 4-3, in the second set, Cornet went to the sideline and asked for a trainer. The break soon morphed into a medical timeout as the trainer, Elaine Brady, first tended to Cornet's back, then her quad. After getting the quad wrapped with a bandage, Cornet promptly lost the ensuing game but won the next two, then jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the third set and held on for the 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory.

"It was really painful, especially in the second set," Cornet said afterwards, her left quad bright red from heavy icing. "But I've never retired from a match because of pain like this, so I didn't even think about that. I just wanted to play until the end and I tried to keep fighting until the end. It's horrible to retire from a match. Even if the U.S. Open is just after and you have to recover to be ready, I can't do that, it's too hard."

It's the first time in three matches that Cornet, the tourney's No. 7 seed and world No. 18, has defeated Hantuchova (world No. 12).

"I didn't play my best today, I just tried to keep fighting all (through) the match, tried to do my best," Cornet added. "It's good, because I won this match without playing at my best level. It means that I can do better. Daniela is a really, really good player. If I can play better (today), I can go to the finals."

Either way, Cornet was happy to play Tiger to Hantuchova's Rocco Mediate on Thursday.

Full article:

It's All Over for Hantuchova
When Lindsay Davenport and Daniela Hantuchova entered the media center to answer questions following their 6-3, 1-6, 11-9 loss to Anastasia Rodionova and Galina Voskoboeva, Pilot Pen media coordinators asked the press first to ask questions about the doubles match, then to ask Hantuchova questions about her singles loss earlier in the day.

When no one had a question about doubles after about a 10-second pause, Davenport said, "Oh good, OK," and left the podium.

Hantuchova expressed some frustration over her 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 loss to Alize Cornet in the singles quarterfinals. Late in the match, a Hantuchova shot was ruled out. She disagreed but was out of challenges and could do nothing about it. Apparently, chair umpire Yvette Kahn agreed that it was out, as well, according to Hantuchova.

"I saw the mark, and the umpire saw the mark, too," she said. "She admitted it was in, she told me it was just too late to make a decision, which I had never heard about before. It was kind of strange, especially when she was sitting right there. I don't understand why she didn't overrule it."

Hantuchova insisted she wasn't flustered by about a 10-minute delay in play midway through the second set, when Cornet tended to a quad injury.

"After all these years, you're used to it," she said. "There are so many players doing it, there's nothing you can really do about it."

media master
PostPosted: 22. August 2008 15:21 

Local Time:
stupid umpire

i hope she had a go at her :lol:

Fan of Daniela Hantuchova since the Australian Open 2002 Other players: Azarenka,Wozniacki,Henin,Safarova,Benesova

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 22. August 2008 21:12 

Local Time:
|17. May 2024| 15:51
interesting, you know, you rarely hear about daniela getting frustrated like that about a line call or about a time out.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 22. August 2008 22:11 

Local Time:
interesting, you know, you rarely hear about daniela getting frustrated like that about a line call or about a time out.
Actually it's not that rare. I remember many matches when Daniela wasn't very happy about line calls and then lost concentration. Although not shaking hands with the umpire is unusual, that's true. But you gotta understand her given the circumstances.

Tier III Title Holder
PostPosted: 23. August 2008 08:08 

Local Time:
|18. May 2024| 05:51
Actually it's not that rare. I remember many matches when Daniela wasn't very happy about line calls and then lost concentration. Although not shaking hands with the umpire is unusual, that's true. But you gotta understand her given the circumstances.
didnt see the match... did she gave the umpire a handshake? its very unlikely of her not to but as you said 'given the circumstances'

Hrdá fanynka Daniely Hantuchovej

Profile YIM

media master
PostPosted: 23. August 2008 09:09 

Local Time:
don't forget it was at the end of the match, few points later it was over, so i guess she was still in a bad mood
i don't mind she didn't, it's not that bad

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 27. August 2008 11:38 

Local Time:
|17. May 2024| 21:51

In all fairness, i find it hard to think of a match where Daniela hasnt questioned a line call?! lol

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Tier III Title Holder
PostPosted: 28. August 2008 02:03 

Local Time:
|18. May 2024| 05:51

In all fairness, i find it hard to think of a match where Daniela hasnt questioned a line call?! lol

Scott

exactly my thought :P it aint Danka till she challenge line calls which she ends up losing anyway :lol:

Hrdá fanynka Daniely Hantuchovej

Profile YIM

media master
PostPosted: 28. August 2008 15:01 

Local Time:
ok enough talk about the handshake, time for a video about the handshake and discussion with the umpire :lol:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 28. August 2008 15:36 

Local Time:
|17. May 2024| 21:51
ok enough talk about the handshake, time for a video about the handshake and discussion with the umpire :lol:

I skipped straight to the end of the video to see the final point and the handshake, or lack off as the case may be. Very unlike Daniela to not give the umpire a handshake but when i have more of a chance, and some sound, ill have a listen to what is said to that made her not shake the umpires hand

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Site Admin
PostPosted: 28. August 2008 15:41 

Local Time:
I was watching a match during the US Open and one of the players didn't shake hands with the umpire either. I don't remember who it was.

Profile WWW

media master
PostPosted: 28. August 2008 16:54 

Local Time:

I skipped straight to the end of the video to see the final point and the handshake, or lack off as the case may be. Very unlike Daniela to not give the umpire a handshake but when i have more of a chance, and some sound, ill have a listen to what is said to that made her not shake the umpires hand

Scott

i don't see the commotion about it anyway, the umpire said way to early that it's to late to change her mind, so i understand Daniela.
And about not shaking the umpire's hand, i don't think it's a big deal , those things happens. :)

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Talk about Daniela

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 75  Next