Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Talk about Daniela

Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: News, Articles & Interviews
PostPosted: 16. June 2022 18:11 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 10:46
Tennis Channel to launch Best of Three with host Daniela Hantuchova

The former world No. 5 tests the golfing skills of tennis’ top stars, including Carlos Alcaraz, Belinda Bencic, and Casper Ruud.
By David Kane

Published Jun 16, 2022

Is grass really for golfers? Tennis Channel viewers will get to make a direct comparison with the forthcoming premiere of Best of Three, set to air throughout the 2022 Wimbledon Championships.

Best of Three is hosted and produced by former world No. 5 Daniela Hantuchova and will feature some of the game’s biggest stars in partnership with the greens of the Indian Wells Golf Course, courtesy of General Manager Sven Wiedenhaupt.

A lifelong golf enthusiast, Hantuchova brought the likes of Carlos Alcaraz, Belinda Bencic, and Casper Ruud together for a rare combination of interview and athletic challenge—all on her turf.

“We’re trading one sport for another,”
declares the Slovak star, who played some of her best tennis on grass with a Wimbledon mixed doubles victory and three singles finals on the specialty surface.

Ruud in particular may prove her greatest rival: the Roland Garros runner-up is a notoriously good golfer, frequently sharing his exploits on a separate Instagram account.

The six-episode series is set to air on Tennis Channel in late June; check out the action-packed trailer right here!

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 4. July 2022 19:21 

Local Time:
Dance-off on the line for Daniela Hantuchova and Sania Mirza in latest “Best of Three”

Hantuchova invites the doubles titan to the Indian Wells Golf Course to kick off the Tennis Channel International series.
By David Kane

Published Jul 04, 2022

Sania Mirza reluctantly trades in her tennis racquet for a golf club in the premiere episode of Best of Three.

“This is going to be embarrassing,” jokes the former WTA doubles No. 1, who isn’t exactly an avid golfer, to friend and host Daniela Hantuchova.

Mirza is in the midst of a farewell season, having returned to action after giving birth to her first child in 2018. But before she concludes a career that featured six major titles—three each in women’s and mixed doubles—the Indian superstar stopped by the Indian Wells Golf Course to accept Hantuchova’s best-of-three holes challenge.

“What are the stakes?” Mirza asks.

“How good is your dancing?”
Hantuchova rejoins, putting a dance-off on the line for the loser.

Who has to bust a move at episode’s end? Stream now at Tennis Channel International!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. July 2022 16:40 

Local Time:
Daniela Hantuchova, Tommy Haas play for beers in latest “Best of Three”

Can the two-time BNP Paribas Open champion out-golf the Indian Wells tournament director? Check out the full episode on Tennis Channel International.
By David Kane

Published Jul 15, 2022

Daniela Hantuchova’s golf tour continues on “Best of Three” as she welcomes BNP Paribas Open tournament director Tommy Haas to the Indian Wells Golf Course for another episode of “Best of Three.”

While the two-time BNP Paribas Open champion danced through the premiere with doubles icon Sania Mirza, Hantuchova changed the up the stakes for the former world No. 2:

Haas retired from tennis in 2017 after a career that took him to four Grand Slam semifinals—three at the Australian Open, one at Wimbledon—but didn’t stray far from the sport, presiding over the Indian Wells Tennis Garden each year.

Who has to chug a pint after a tense golf challenge? Stream now at Tennis Channel International!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 23. July 2022 20:03 

Local Time:
Darren Cahill bets Daniela Hantuchova a Vegemite sandwich in latest “Best of Three”

The famed Aussie coach puts his national delicacy on the line as he faces former world No. 5 Hantuchova in a round of golf on Tennis Channel International.
By David Kane

Published Jul 22, 2022

Daniela Hantuchova is back on the greens of the Indian Wells Golf Course for another episode of “Best of Three,” and the stakes have never been higher for the former world No. 5 as she takes on famed Aussie coach Darren Cahill.

“If you lose to me, I want you to try Vegemite,” insists Cahill, who has worked with the likes of Simona Halep and Amanda Anisimova before recently announcing his partnership with Italian youngster Jannik Sinner.

Dancing and beer have previously been on the menu when Hantuchova took on Sania Mirza and Tommy Haas, but this may be just the motivation the “Best of Three” host needs to secure a crucial golfing victory.

“That’s a lot to play for because I’ve tried it once and said never ever [again],” joked the 2008 Australian Open semifinalist.

Is Hantuchova forced to eat her words along with another helping of Vegemite? Tune into the Tennis Channel International original and find out.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 22. August 2022 22:50 

Local Time:
A Story of Progress > Daniela Hantuchová

"My recipe for success?
To be totally honest with myself in everything I do."

For a long time, Audi has set a high bar in the field of modern technology, top quality and driving comfort. The fully electric Audi e‑tron models represent a new milestone on the road to sustainability. Their task is to change the view of electromobility in the eyes of the customer, especially in terms of quality of processing, dynamics of driving characteristics and the use of the most modern technologies.

Cooperation with Daniela Hantuchová, former tennis player and current sports commentator, is a natural connection. It has not only tenacity and determination in common with the Audi brand. In her tennis career, Daniele managed to fight her way to the top of the world, and after it ended, she found herself facing a completely new challenge. Thanks to his will to take advantage of every opportunity and give only the best of himself, he is successfully progressing in this area as well. As a long-term leader, the Audi brand shares Daniela's philosophy and offers its customers a revolutionary change that will once again bring them a first-class experience by combining comfort, innovation and design.

" I'm glad that I managed to get so high. It was a lot of hard work, mistakes..."
Daniela Hantuchová
tennis player and sports commentator

"It's hard to suddenly quit and imagine that you can be equally good at something else."
Daniela Hantuchová

Who is Daniela Hantuchová

A former Slovak tennis player whose name is probably not unknown to anyone. A native of Poprad, who conquered the whole world in tennis. Among her greatest achievements are the fifth place in the WTA world ranking in singles and victories in all four Grand Slam tournaments in mixed doubles. Daniela was introduced to tennis by her grandmother, who in the past belonged to the Czechoslovak elite. She started training in Matadorka from Petržalka. Her exceptional talent soon became apparent, and Daniela won her first tournament at the age of six. After the successes in the student category, international tournaments soon followed. When she was 18, she won her first prestigious tournament on the WTA circuit, the American Indian Wells.

From the beginning of her professional career until its end in 2017, she brought many world successes to Slovakia. However, she did not give up tennis even after leaving; she started working as a presenter and commentator of world tennis events. As Daniela herself mentions, the opportunity to comment on tournaments for the world's media came unexpectedly, but she took it with greater joy. As in tennis, she also tries to be the best and surpass herself when commentating.

"Tennis taught me that the offered chance should be used immediately."

Daniela Hantuchová

@ google translate

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. January 2023 20:52 

Local Time:
Before turning 40, she looks a decade younger: Our former tennis player with the nobility of a French woman has maintained the figure and face of a model for years
SLOVAK CELEBRITIES

Charm, grace and casualness combined with elegance. The embodiment of this description is our former tennis representative Daniela Hantuchová, who has maintained the appearance of a model for many years. To what does she owe her flawless curves and youthful skin?

Daniela Hantuchová will celebrate her 40th birthday this spring, which is not signed at all. We can say without a doubt that she looks ten years younger. Slim line , smooth skin, thick golden crown of beauty ... these are all attributes that make her look so amazing.

Then there's the natural charm she's always exuded. Daniela seems to have adopted the characteristics typical of a Parisian. In addition to grace, grace and nonchalance, she has a sense of elegance in its purest form. She looks for simple cuts with an emphasis on femininity as well as timeless pieces in neutral colors that a woman can rely on whenever she wants to feel comfortable and chic at the same time.

It is no wonder that Hantuchová has a solid fan base to this day. She ended her professional career five years ago, leaving behind a lot of success , but she never completely left tennis out of her life. She found herself moderating and commenting on tennis programs broadcast by the world's largest television stations.

It can be seen that her work fulfills her, happiness radiates from her even from the pictures she adds to her Instagram. Daniela seems to have stopped time, her appearance has not changed over the years. She never made a secret of the fact that it was not a matter of chance. She has always been active and simply cannot imagine life without sports. In addition to regular exercise, he also eats an exemplary diet. He takes care of a healthy and nutritionally balanced diet.

"I still exercise. Many people are surprised when they see me working out and ask what I'm preparing for... For me, it's just a natural part of my lifestyle, the way I take care of my health . The advantage of my sports pension is that I don't have to push myself when I don't feel like it. Fortunately, there are few such days and I really enjoy the exercise ," Daniela told us in one of the interviews.

As part of her skin care, she cannot tolerate a high-quality moisturizing cream , and when she wears make-up, she does not underestimate its thorough removal . Applying a cream with a protective factor is a matter of course for her.

@ google translate

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. January 2023 16:46 

Local Time:
Australian Open 2023: Linda and Brenda Fruhvirtova are among the next generation of tennis stars – and have earned impressive reviews
New year, new generation. LINDA PEARCE looks at some of the impressive teenagers to have made their mark at Melbourne Park this year.
Linda Pearce

There are shades, just maybe, of Venus and Serena Williams in the closely connected and precociously talented Fruhvirtova sisters, the latest products of the remarkable Czech women’s tennis production line.
Not least because the word is that – yes, I know, you’ve heard it before, many times – the younger sibling could even be the better of the two.
And that would make Brenda Fruhvirtova, 15, something extra special, given that Linda Fruhvirtova, 17, has been so exceptional on her Australian Open debut.

And so, given that the sisters both train regularly at the Mouratoglou Academy in Nice, no wonder Serena comparisons are being made, with whispers Brenda will be the top Fruhvirtova in the end.
“Yeah, yeah, we’ll see,’’ smiles former Australian Open semi-finalist Daniela Hantuchova. “It’s still a long way, so I’m always careful with the predictions, but obviously they’re on the right track.
“They’ve got such natural movement around the court, wonderful athletes as well, anyone from the Czech Republic, they are willing to put the hard work in, so that’s one of their biggest strengths, too.’’
“And it’s just amazing the Czech tennis, what they’ve been able to produce over the past few years.’’

Former world No. 5 Hantuchova, from the neighbouring Slovak Republic, has no doubt that both sisters will excel.
“I already saw Linda two years ago, three years ago, and I thought ‘Yeah, obviously they are both very special. They remind me, especially Linda, a little bit of Martina Hingis.
“As far as her shot selection goes, at such a young age, she’s so smart; as far as big points, she played the right way, which is unusual at her age.
“Normally, if I remember myself, I would hit the fence or just make too many unforced errors, where she’s very mature for her age and I think that’s one of her strengths.’’

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. January 2023 16:51 

Local Time:
Tennis stars rate Sabalenka the one to beat, as world No.1 in for ‘challenging’ year

By Marc McGowan
January 24, 2023 — 6.29pm

Red-hot Belarusian ball-masher Aryna Sabalenka is the player to beat for this year’s Australian Open women’s singles title, according to 2008 semi-finalist Daniela Hantuchova.

Sabalenka, who started the year with victory at the Adelaide International, had never gone beyond the fourth round at Melbourne Park in five previous trips but will face resurgent Croatian Donna Vekic in a quarter-final on Wednesday.

“It’s crazy open [for the women’s title], but I would say the favourite is Sabalenka – just the way she’s played, especially against [Elise] Mertens,” Hantuchova said.

“The conditions are quick, and the balls fly quite a bit, so if she serves well, I think she’s a slight favourite above everyone else.

“When Sabalenka plays, it’s always on her racquet. To me, Sabalenka is kind of like [dual Wimbledon champion] Petra Kvitova – if she’s on, you’re kind of just picking up the balls, so she can challenge anyone.”

Hantuchova and Radwanska are also aligned on their opinion that world No.1 Iga Swiatek, who exited the Australian Open in straight sets to Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina, will find it “challenging” to match her dominant 2022 campaign.

Hantuchova said the slicker Melbourne Park surface did not suit Swiatek as much as what the slower, higher-bouncing hardcourts in Indian Wells and Miami would, while Radwanska expected her to thrive during the claycourt swing.

“I don’t think she can back that up,”
Hantuchova said. “Players study and coaches talk, so they are going to try to figure out how to play against her, so, of course, it’s always much harder to do it the second year. If she can win half of that; I think she’ll be happy.”

Hantuchova said the slicker Melbourne Park surface did not suit Swiatek as much as what the slower, higher-bouncing hardcourts in Indian Wells and Miami would, while Radwanska expected her to thrive during the claycourt swing.

“I don’t think she can back that up,” Hantuchova said. “Players study and coaches talk, so they are going to try to figure out how to play against her, so, of course, it’s always much harder to do it the second year. If she can win half of that; I think she’ll be happy.”

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 27. January 2023 18:14 

Local Time:
Daniela Hantuchová: I am gradually opening up to offers to train
Andrej Bučko

today 09:00 |

After years of searching, but also due to pandemic restrictions, this year the tournament of legends returned to the Australian Open in full splendor. True, rather the younger ones, since Stefan Edberg, Ivan Lendl, John Newcomb, Boris Becker or Martina Navrátilová can no longer be seen with a racket like they used to. However, names such as Bob and Mike Bryan, Agnieszka Radwanská, Radek Štěpánek, Tommy Haas and Slovak Daniela Hantuchová enjoy popularity.

No one knows what they are playing for and in what format, but they entertain and attract fans. Daniela Hantuchová is now almost a regular part of these events and fully deserved. She was not only the world number five, the winner of the Federation Cup and a semi-finalist in Melbourne, but also a four-time Grand Slam champion and at the same time the holder of the career Grand Slam in mixed doubles. At the Australian Open, she is now paired with Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska.

Since the end of her active career, Daniela has fully adapted herself to the role of television commentator. "I have been commentating for four or five seasons, I found myself in this position. I know exactly what I can expect from it, I am grateful for it," our former representative told us. At the same time, she admitted that the beginnings in front of the camera were not easy.

"It's more difficult to make a mark in it than as a player on the court. There are not many commentator positions, and commentating from Slovakia for American, British or Australian stations is in some ways a greater success than winning tennis matches. It requires much more focus, effort, studies and discipline. I greatly appreciate that this part of my life is also with tennis and that this career is also working out for me,"
she does not hide his enthusiasm.

The Poprad native doesn't show up at home many times even during her retirement. "I often travel like in the old days as a player. I do all the biggest WTA tournaments for Amazon TV. In the meantime, when I have free time, I am mostly in Slovakia and not far around Europe. Anywhere good golf is played. I hardly pick up the racquet until a few days before I go to play so it's not such a big shame. In October, I played a slightly more serious singles match in Luxembourg, so I prepared a little longer there. It is not so necessary for Grand Slam doubles."

We also asked Daniela about activities in Slovakia and coaching offers. "Commenting with traveling exhausts me quite a bit, to which must be added sponsorship obligations. I only go home to relax and spend time with my family and friends. I get a huge number of offers for coaching work from everywhere. I am gradually starting to open up to this as well. We'll see... So far it's still early on, that it's fresh since I finished, but it's fading and it's pulling me to the courtroom," Hantuchová hinted at her possible next activity.

Agnieszka Radwanská was world number two and before the Australian Open she was also the captain of the Polish team in the United Cup. The Melbourne courts suited her and she reached the quarter-finals in 2008 and the semi-finals in 2014. However, Slovak women always stood in her way. She was first eliminated by Hantuchová 6:2, 6:2, then six years later by Dominika Cibulková 6:1, 6:2.

"They were great players, every match against them was difficult. I was looking forward to the fights with them, although I knew what was waiting for me... I don't remember it in a bad way. Now it's nice that Daniela and I play together on the same side of the net and we only remember the former rivalry. We were just talking about her other memorable match in the 2008 semi-finals, when she had Ana Ivanovic on her racket. She led 6:0, 2:0 and lost in three sets. She was within reach of the final, but tennis is a difficult sport. Sometimes it brings tears, sometimes joy, and it's always difficult to get up after a painful loss," Radwanská shared her experience with our newspaper.

She also returned to the final from Melbourne 2014, in which Dominika Cibulková lost to Na Li 6:7, 0:6: "Cibulková had less chances of success in that match because it was the Chinese woman's favorite court. She used her strong serves and hard forehand, she was unstoppable at the time."

Radwanská has a great successor in Iga Swiatek, who dominated both Roland Garros and the US Open last year and already has three Grand Slam titles to her credit. However, the world number one was already eliminated in the round of 16 with Jelena Rybakinová at this year's Australian Open.

"Tennis is an individual sport where the head is extremely important. You have to learn to accept losses and move on. Iga ran into the Wimbledon winner Rybakin very soon. Everyone has sad days and hard losses in their career, the art is to bounce back from them. Fortunately, we have another Pole in the game - Magda Linette. The whole tournament has nothing to lose. She is a very experienced thirtysomething, she believes in her game. She knocked out several strong opponents, and even if Sobolenko will be a big favorite in the semi-finals, Magda will definitely enjoy it," concluded Agnieszka Radwanská.

@ google translate

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 13. February 2023 19:33 

Local Time:
Daniela’s Denim Dream: Is Hantuchova’s hope for tennis fashion realistic?

Traditional or trendy: Is tennis finally stepping out of its comfort zone?
By Liya Davidov

Published Feb 07, 2023

What has Daniela Hantuchova craving the return of denim on the pro tour?

“I would love to see more of the jeans fabric,”
opines the former world No. 5. “I see the old photos of Andre Agassi, Anna Kournikova.”

On the tour today, WTA players are finding comfort in leggings, shorts and crop tops, while ATP players are experimenting with color palettes and patterns with varying clothing lengths. Even off court and out of sight, players are stepping out of their comfort zones and embracing their inner fashionistas.

All of this sounds almost too good to be true, considering tennis’ reliance on tradition.

From strawberries with cream at Wimbledon to the Honey Deuce at the US Open, to player rankings and boxes, the tennis world takes comfort in its principles. Even fans continue to partake in the respectful atmosphere as the next point commences. Sure, that is contingent on alcohol consumption and the importance of the point, but the decency speaks for itself.

Tradition goes for fashion, too. Serena Williams’ iconic French Open catsuit fashion statement was banned because it “went too far,” said French Tennis Federation president Bernard Giudicelli. “You have to respect the game and the place.”

The backlash wasn’t surprising. But it couldn’t stop what tennis has always done—even if glacially slow: evolve.

In fact, although the young guns are strutting style onto center court, veteran players are less fashionably shifting, sticking to the outfits they know best. Call them old fashioned, but it seems the veterans would rather focus on their game than the shimmer reflecting off of their bedazzled wristbands.

Then again, bedazzled wristbands for the win? As of now, experimental fashion has caught fans’ attention and hearts. Until a player wears a sports bra as an outer layer over a shirt, it’s safe to assume these fashion trends will be widely accepted and maybe even expected moving forward.

So what can be expected in 2023?

Perhaps there’s room for Hantuchova’s jeans and simple dresses to make a comeback. Maybe players will match the court surfaces moving forward: darker colors on clay, all glamor at the US Open, and all fun in Australia. Perhaps bedazzled wristbands have also entered the mix.

And although Hantuchova’s predictions haven’t come true just yet, and nothing bedazzled is in sight, there’s still plenty of opportunities moving forward this season.

Just over a month into 2023, there have been fashion statements that ignite curiosity. From Frances Tiafoe’s splatter paint set to Jelena Ostapenko’s shoulder loofahs, it wouldn’t be surprising if jeans find its way onto the scene. The question remains, which player will be brave enough to make their denim debut?

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. March 2023 19:34 

Local Time:
Laura Robson and former world No.5 Daniela Hantuchova break down the barriers for young girls in tennis

08/03/23 • 3 MINUTE READ

The latest data shows that tennis participation amongst kids is on the rise – great news right?

But, when you drill down into the numbers, as kids start to get older, the gender split in players starts to widen quite significantly, with less girls continuing in the sport.

What’s more, we also know that once playing frequency increases – i.e. shifting from playing once a month to once a week – this gap becomes even greater.

So, what’s causing this growing divide amongst young players?

As girls reach their teenage years, they start to have competing interests and demands on their time, which can often take away from time playing sport. Insights show that during these teenage years gender stereotypes become more defined and they become increasingly self-aware, which can lead to a fall in confidence when it comes to playing sports.

Even in the professional game, challenges and barriers faced by women’s players only continue to develop throughout their careers – as former British No.1 Laura Robson and former world No.5 Daniela Hantuchova know all too well.

‘Weak’, ‘Too emotional’, ‘Afraid’ are just few of the many words and criticisms that thousands of female tennis stars face daily, often receiving critique for factors outside their actual play and performance.

“It makes you angry,’ Robson said at one of our recent coach training days for the new Prime Video LTA Youth Girls programme, designed specifically to get more girls playing and enjoying tennis.

“The women in tennis are some of the strongest people I’ve ever met. It’s about reminding yourself why you started and not caring what you look like on court, because it doesn’t matter.

“I was playing at a really tough time and before me as well, where people would just say things that you wouldn’t get away with these days. It’s about changing those stereotypes.”
If these negative perceptions and language exist at the top of the game then what does that say to young girls looking to get into the sport?

Until you can identify the problem, you don’t stand a chance of creating a solution. The question remains then, what can we do to encourage more young girls to pick up a racket and get involved in tennis?

Research suggests it ultimately comes down to several factors – creating the right environment for girls to enjoy the sport regularly, a focus on fun and developing skills, introducing competition in an appropriate way and the presence of female role models. All of which have been the focus in the design of our new all-girls programme, Prime Video LTA Youth Girls.

Launched in partnership with Prime Video off the back of Emma Raducanu’s historic win at the US Open in 2021, the programme will introduce thousands of girls across Great Britain to tennis, who will then hopefully want to stay playing and competing in the sport.

“It’s important for me to have more girls involved in tennis because I genuinely believe it is the most wonderful sport to be part of at any level,” said Hantuchova, reflecting on the potential impact of the programme.

“I think the less stress, less pressure there is, the more you can enjoy it, so step by step, they start to feel that competitiveness within themselves. You’re going to feel a little more comfortable (participating in Prime Video LTA Youth Girls sessions) and you’re going to be with a group of girls all going through the same issues.”

Following the recent coach training days in London, Bristol, Nottingham and Leeds, over 250 LTA Accredited coaches are now ready to run sessions for young girls in their communities.

“Having more female role models, both at an elite level, but also just female coaches involved in the game as well,” said Dr Stacey Edmonds, Reader in Sports Performance at Leeds Beckett University.

“To get girls involved in sport it’s got to be fun, it’s got to be enjoyable and it can’t just be about winning. I think if increasing participation is the goal, then girls only sessions can be really beneficial.”

Continuing on the theme of female role models, Alex Willis, Trustee at Greenhouse Sports and former Director of Communications at the All England Lawn Tennis Club, added, “It genuinely is that, if you can see it, you can be it. Women who are openly talking about having a sport that they love, having a career that they love and having a family that they love; (its) really powerful.”

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. March 2023 17:45 

Local Time:
Hantuchova on the coronation of Alcaraz in Indian Wells: "He comes from another planet"
Blown away by the week of Alcaraz, which she observed closely as a consultant for Prime Video, the former world number 5 Daniela Hantuchova returned to what fascinates her in the Spaniard.
Lucile Alard March 20, 2023 at 10:26 p.m.

“How much did Carlos Alcaraz impress you this week?
Carlos is from another planet. He has everything. I feel like he has the attack of Roger (Federer) and the defense of Rafa (Nadal) . With his speed and the way he moves, he manages to hit shots we never thought possible. The power of some of his forehands... All the former players who were there wondered how he did that. He takes his tennis to another level, which is crazy to see. Everyone wondered not so long ago what was going to happen in the future, after Federer, Nadal and (Novak) Djokovic. I believe he is the answer. There is nothing to worry about.

We have the impression that he puts more pressure on the opponent than anyone else...
It's true. And the kinda scary thing about him is that he just keeps getting better. We said last year, when he was playing on grass, that he was going to need a few years to become a real specialist. But with the speed at which he learns, it would not surprise me at all if he is already ready this year.

What are the solutions when faced with such a complete player, who has so many options?
I'm only human, I don't have the answer (laughs) . Maybe Novak will have solutions against him and it will be fascinating to see. He's not here (the Serbian is not allowed to travel to the United States due to his vaccination situation and will also be absent in Miami) , so we don't talk about him, but he is such a champion amazing. He can take the ball when it goes up, as soon as Carlos, he will have a say in this sector. He stays much closer to his baseline than a (Daniil)Medvedev, he has the speed to respond to drop shots, and he has the experience. Everyone wants to see this match now. And I think Djokovic will be ready for that.

@ google translate

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 26. October 2023 15:30 

Local Time:
Spoiled tennis players? They don't work in the mine, they have money thanks to men, says Hantuchová
Livesport , 1 h ago

At one time, she was the best Slovak tennis player, reaching fifth place in the WTA rankings in 2003. Daniela Hantuchová (40) put down her racket some time ago and took up the microphone with which she comments on the tennis events for the Amazon Prime streaming platform. She also talked about the current topics of fateful sports for the Livesport Daily podcast, in which she talked, among other things, about the fact that current female players should stop complaining.

About tennis players' complaints about the conditions
"It feels a bit like spoiling. Especially on the women's circuit, where the prize money is what it is, and the girls certainly don't work from four in the morning in a mine somewhere. It's difficult, but we never allowed ourselves to criticize because we knew that the checks we were getting were thanks to the tournament."

About challenging travel
"In terms of traveling and the destinations in which the WTA tournaments are played, on the contrary, I agree with the players. From this point of view, tennis is the most demanding sport that exists. For me personally, it was one of the reasons why I quit. The body could no longer handle the time differences , I kept waking up out of the normal rhythm, it was unhealthy. I told myself that it wasn't worth the money, that I'd rather be at ease in my 60s. It was over the edge."

About night games
"I see what a big tournament entails from the point of view of the organizers. They do it to have the most fans at the matches. For example, in Madrid, no one comes to tennis before 9:30 in the evening and before they eat jamón."

About who will win the Tournament of Champions
"It's super packed, but if I have to pick one favourite, it's Coco Gauff. She won the last Grand Slam, she likes the hard surface, she's a big fighter and she has a lot in common with Serena. She loves the big stage and when all eyes are on her, so that's why I favor her."

There's a half hour interview/podcast but it's all in Slovak.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 28. October 2023 15:27 

Local Time:
Daniela Hantuchová: “For people as active as me, Costa Navarino has it all”

The Slovak tennis player and commentator visited Messinia for a vacation that paired relaxation with sports – and lots of it.
By Paulina Björk Kapsalis

How do you unwind on vacation? For most of us, a lounger on the beach seems the obvious answer. But if you’re like the former world no. 5 tennis player, Daniela Hantuchová, a destination must offer a little bit more in terms of things to do. Match point? A really good, modern tennis center.

Hantuchová, or Dani, as her fans know her, doesn’t sit still for long. During her career as a professional tennis player, she shone both as a singles and doubles player, beat the likes of Serena Williams and Caroline Wozniacki, won seven WTA tour titles, reached the semifinals at the Australian Open and quarterfinals at the US Open and Wimbledon, and became known as the “queen of 3-setters” thanks to her incredible endurance. Today, six years after retiring as a player, she remains a well-known name in the tennis world, working as a commentator at major tournaments, while hundreds of thousands of fans follow her life and travels on social media.

We caught up with her after her recent visit to Costa Navarino to learn about her relationship with tennis today, her love for other sports, and to find out what it takes to make her slow down: a really nice meal, it seems, is the answer.

Thank you for taking the time to talk to us about your love for tennis, and your experience at Costa Navarino! You’re a busy person and seem to be constantly on the move. What do you enjoy most about your career right now?
I love that I’m still involved with tennis. When I retired, I said goodbye to the professional side of it, but I hope that tennis will always be part of my life, because it’s what I love. I enjoy being able to share my thoughts and experiences with the audience when commentating matches. Also, while I’ve always traveled, I now have time to actually enjoy the places and see them with open eyes, rather than just focusing on my own performance.

You certainly have traveled and played tennis all over the world. How does Costa Navarino and the Mouratoglou Tennis Center measure up as a destination?
That is true. I’ve been lucky to see most of the big tennis venues around the world. I have to say I was very happily surprised when I arrived at the Center. It’s bigger than I thought, and you have the option of three different surfaces, which is uncommon at a hotel resort setup – so that’s amazing. Also, the fact that it’s close to the destination’s restaurants and the golf courses is perfect. As I did, you can actually walk straight from the golf course to the tennis court. Obviously, the weather, climate, and natural surroundings make it special as well. I don’t know many tennis clubs where I can play surrounded by olive trees – that’s very, very special!

The Mouratoglou Tennis Center was created partly to host tournaments. You’ve played, won, and in the last years acted as a commentator for countless tournaments. What did you think of the facilities?
I think it has so much potential, especially because of the climate. I would love to see this place grow into a major sports facility for athletes from Europe and overseas in the future. Honestly, if I was still playing and I knew about this place, I would train here quite a bit. I’m not just saying this because I love being there. You can stay calm at Costa Navarino, so you can train super hard, while at the same time also have a good time on the court, which is what you want during training weeks.

What is your favorite surface to play on?
Of course, grass! I was so happy to see the grass court there. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to play on it next time.

Greece hasn’t historically been a great tennis playing country, but lately, with players such as Maria Sakkari and Stefanos Tsitsipas, interest has been picking up. What do you think is necessary for tennis to grow in a country like Greece?
I think the first step has already been taken by Maria and Stefanos. Now, the kids have role models! The second step, as we talked about, is to have the necessary facilities so that kids at any level have the opportunity to train hard. Nothing comes easy, the work ethic has to be there, which means having the right coaches teaching the right methods and techniques. I feel like the player is really created somewhere between eight and fourteen – that’s when the technique is learned and the player is preparing to move on to the professional level. Making tennis affordable for the general public is also important, so that more kids get the opportunity to play.

Can anyone play tennis?
Yes, absolutely! Tennis is for everyone. That’s one of the most beautiful things about it. I started to play because my grandmother was a tennis player. I was attracted to it for its grace and beauty and how wonderful the shots looked, and my fondest childhood memories are of going to the local tennis club with my grandmother, my parents and my brother. We would spend whole days there on the weekends, playing around. I would say the social part of tennis is what draws me to it, even more than the performance part. It’s just such a lovely way to spend time with your loved ones, doing a nice activity. I honestly couldn’t have asked for more, growing up in that environment.

Besides tennis, you’re also passionate about golf. What drew you to that?
Yes. I just love the fact that it allows us to be in nature for four to four and a half hours, and – just like with tennis – that I can share this time with my family. I’m lucky to have been able to explore plenty of courses around the world, and I can compare them. I’ve played some special ones, but I have got to say that it just doesn’t get any better than what we’ve got at Costa Navarino! As for the technical aspect, you’re always being challenged to improve, because it’s very difficult. It can be frustrating at times, as all golfers know, but so wonderful at the same time. Then, having a drink afterwards at the clubhouse… life can’t really get better than that.

You had the opportunity to play golf at The Dunes Course, The Bay Course and the International Olympic Academy Course. What did you think of them? Any favorite holes?
I’d say hole number 2 at The Dunes Course, when the view of the sea appears. On The Bay Course, of course hole number 1, as well as holes 15 through 17, near the Mandarin Oriental and the sea. If you time it well, so you get to hole 17 just before the sunset, it’s quite something. The same goes for anything on the back nine of the International Olympic Academy Golf Course, where you get incredible, breathtaking views. I’d highlight the par-three right in front of the club house, at sunset or in the morning, when the colors are just incredible… Yeah, so many holes! [laughs] It’s really hard to pick one!

Guests at Costa Navarino can enjoy a vast array of other sports too, including watersports, cycling, team sports and more…
For someone as active as me, I believe very strongly that Costa Navarino has it all – like you say, not only tennis and golf. You can go on hikes, walks along the beach, biking… There’s padel now as well, which I’m a huge fan of! And then, of course, you also have the wonderful spa and incredible restaurants to enjoy, so I think everyone can find the combination they need for a perfect holiday.

How did you spend your time here, besides playing sports?
We enjoyed having incredible dinners in so many beautiful venues. I don’t even know where to start. The steakhouse overlooking the 18th hole at The Dunes Course is very special, and we also had a sushi meal with incredible views. Then Parelia restaurant at the W Costa Navarino, right on the beach with a soft breeze for both lunch and dinner… Though actually breakfast was my favorite part of the day! I’m a big breakfast person so I loved sitting by the pool listening to nice music with that variety of choices – you can eat super healthy and treat yourself as well.

My friends and I have been saying how great Greek food is. It’s part of what makes it so special there; you can be active, do all the sports in the world, and eat really good and healthy as well. So, you can enjoy being on holiday, while staying in shape.

Last but not least, we’re curious: how do you unwind?
[Laughs] That’s a good last question! For me, unwinding is actually being active and doing what I love. It gives me so much freedom and joy, and for me that’s the best way to relax – being able to do whatever I feel like. However, I do also enjoy sitting on the beach with a book, chill and talk to my loved ones. I’m a big coffee drinker, and can have breakfast for an hour and a half, easy. So even though I’m super active, I also like to enjoy the moment.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 15. January 2024 20:01 

Local Time:
Match Point Canada
Episode 2 - 2024 Australian Open Preview with Daniela Hantuchova

She'a former Australian Open semifinalist, four-time grand slam champion in mixed doubles, and reached a career high of number five in the rankings!

Former Slovakian player and commentator Daniela Hantuchova comes back to Match Point Canada as we preview the action Down Under at the Australian Open.

Hantuchova offers her perspective on the challenges of returning after a long layoff, how Rafael Nadal fared, confidence at tournaments you've had prior success, and why she believes Elena Rybakina can win in Melbourne.

Meantime, we have a full preview!

We look at both the men's and women's draws, discuss the best matchups ahead, look back at action from Day 1, and pick which Canadian can go the furthest.

All that and more on our latest episode of MPC!

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Talk about Daniela

Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next