Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 129 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: US Open, Flushing Meadows
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 00:38 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 12:07
im just speechless....

DANIELA HANTUCHOVÁ * MARIA SHARAPOVA * DOMINIKA CIBULKOVÁ * SERENA WILLIAMS * ANNA KAROLÍNA SCHMIEDLOVÁ * ANA IVANOVIC
ROGER FEDERER * DAVID FERRER * ANDY RODDICK * PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU * LLEYTON HEWITT

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 06:06 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 06:07
Hi, I'm Pat, I'm usually a lurker, but I was actually at the match today (which alone made the result inevitable), and this is what I saw:

First, Parmentier was on. Her serve worked, she got to a ton of balls, and she didn't miss. Right off the bat, Daniela hit two great winners in the first game, but she still got broken because anything less than great came back at her. Whether it was because of just this or other things, Daniela was visibly frustrated for most of the match. She shrugged her shoulders at her traveling party at least thrice. She missed a number of shots by thatmuch and was very unhappy with a number of the resulting line calls, and talked to the umpire about it multiple times in the 2nd set. She actually did finally get an overturn out of her in the final game. She also asked the umpire something early in the 1st set, but I don't know if that was over a call or not.

I didn't see any actual crying, but there was one time in the 2nd set she came back over to the side I was on, and it did kinda look like she might have been during the changeover. I also didn't see any signs of an injury - no grimacing, limping, or anything like that - but something was definitely off all day long.

And to note, the match before hers was a men's match where one guy was up 2 sets to none and up a break late in the 3rd, and it ended up going all the way to a 5th set tiebreaker. Just something else that could have added to her frustration before she even got out there.

Profile WWW

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 08:38 

Local Time:
Good news! Dani will play in mixed doubles with Mark Knowles from Bahamas :)

Last edited by jolka5-15 on 31. August 2011 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 09:28 

Local Time:
Thanks very much nynescar for ur report on the match. I seems it just wasn't daniela's day. I hope we hear her side of it.

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 11:23 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 11:07
didnt see this coming.. :o I thought she was in form and could blast Parmentier away, maybe she was nervous...we dont know :(

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 12:10 

Local Time:
When I saw the result I had to do a double and triple check because I just couldn't believe it. Parementier had done nothing of note this year while Daniela had had so many good wins and had been playing so well. It seems Pamentier had a great day when she was in the zone and everything went right for her and and so many things went wrong for Daniela.

Daniela said that she'd been out for six days with her foot injury in that New Haven fashion show video so maybe she was hurt worse than it seemed but she's playing both doubles. Ravi Ubha, who's a tennis writer for ESPN speculated on his twitter that "The foot injury that forced Hantuchova to bail from NH must still be bothering her. About to exit in little more than an hour vs. Parmentier" The third slam this year that Daniela goes into injured and she's lost in the first round here and Australian and almost did at Wimbledon. I don't know if the court was a factor with Daniela being on an outside court and the surface is meant to be slower this year, or at least slower than Cincinnati, and probably having to wait around This is so disappointing and it must be devastating for Daniela. I just want to give her a hug and tell her it's going to be okay. Daniela's strong and resilient and she'll come back from this.

Shit happens, Li Na and Kvitova both lost, even Usain Bolt lost.

Hopefully Daniela can have decent runs in the doubles and have some fun and salvage something from this tournament.

Thanks for the match report, nynascar, it's good to have a match report from someone that saw the match.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 12:30 

Local Time:
Mixed Doubles draw, top half:

Liezel Huber USA (1)
Bob Bryan USA (1)
v
Anastasia Rodionova AUS
Christopher Kas GER

Melanie Oudin USA
Jack Sock USA
v
Vladimira Uhlirova CZE
Filip Polasek SVK

Daniela Hantuchova SVK
Mark Knowles BAH

v
Christina Fusano USA
David Martin USA

Barbora Zahlavova Strycova CZE
Philipp Petzschner GER
v
Vania King USA (5)
Rohan Bopanna IND (5)

Yaroslava Shvedova KAZ (3)
Max Mirnyi BLR (3)
v
Olga Govortsova BLR
Marcin Matkowski POL

Natalie Grandin RSA
Jean-Julien Rojer AHO
v
Taylor Townsend USA
Donald Young USA

Yung-Jan Chan TPE
Mariusz Fyrstenberg POL
v
Ana Ivanovic SRB
Nenad Zimonjic SRB

Nadia Petrova RUS
Jamie Murray GBR
v
Elena Vesnina RUS (7)
Leander Paes IND (7)

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 12:44 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 05:07
Thanks for the good report nynascar. while disappointed I am glad she wasn't emotional and coming apart on court. You win some and lose some and yesterday was her day to lose. Unfortuantley it was round one of US Open.

Hope she can have some fun in mixed and ladies doubles and then take a break.

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 14:26 

Local Time:
Hi, I'm Pat, I'm usually a lurker, but I was actually at the match today (which alone made the result inevitable), and this is what I saw:

First, Parmentier was on. Her serve worked, she got to a ton of balls, and she didn't miss. Right off the bat, Daniela hit two great winners in the first game, but she still got broken because anything less than great came back at her. Whether it was because of just this or other things, Daniela was visibly frustrated for most of the match. She shrugged her shoulders at her traveling party at least thrice. She missed a number of shots by thatmuch and was very unhappy with a number of the resulting line calls, and talked to the umpire about it multiple times in the 2nd set. She actually did finally get an overturn out of her in the final game. She also asked the umpire something early in the 1st set, but I don't know if that was over a call or not.

I didn't see any actual crying, but there was one time in the 2nd set she came back over to the side I was on, and it did kinda look like she might have been during the changeover. I also didn't see any signs of an injury - no grimacing, limping, or anything like that - but something was definitely off all day long.

And to note, the match before hers was a men's match where one guy was up 2 sets to none and up a break late in the 3rd, and it ended up going all the way to a 5th set tiebreaker. Just something else that could have added to her frustration before she even got out there.

I was also at the match and totally agree with this assessment. Dani dind't seem into the match after getting broken in the first game. She hit some great shots, but Parametier got everything back. Line calls were horrid though, many of Parametier's 1st serves were way out but called good. When Dani was serving to stay in the match, she was up 40-30, Parametier hit a ball that was at least six inches long. Dani protested with the chair at this point (who overturned another horrid call that went against Dani earlier in the set), but to no avail. Its a shame as this would have made it 5-4 and it would have been a totally different match. I think the line judges were exhausted and overheated from the match before that. I didn't notice any crying, but she was definitely aggitated out there. Too bad as she's better than this, but life goes on and I'm sure she'll be able to pick up the pieces and move on. I saw the Kvitova match and I will say that Dani played much much better than she did.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 15:02 

Local Time:
Thanks mhs139. It's good to hear from those who witnesseetie match. It seems that parmentier played very well adding with bad line calls. A lot of daniela's bad losses come when she's on small courts so maybe that is a factor. Eg. Martinez sanchez petkovic last year..

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 15:10 

Local Time:
Thanks mhs139. It's good to hear from those who witnesseetie match. It seems that parmentier played very well adding with bad line calls. A lot of daniela's bad losses come when she's on small courts so maybe that is a factor. Eg. Martinez sanchez petkovic last year..

She should have been on the new court (17) as this would have suited her popularity. Still no excuse though, she did hit some beautiful shots. There were moments of brillance. Her forehand was on and powerfull her backhand was her downfall.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 15:33 

Local Time:
She should have been on the new court (17) as this would have suited her popularity. Still no excuse though, she did hit some beautiful shots. There were moments of brilliance. Her forehand was on and powerful her backhand was her downfall.

Thanks for the reports,hope you're not too depressed. Her BH let her down badly in her last match against Zvonereva too,there were some terrible misses.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 18:59 

Local Time:
Thanx to all for the summary...

Although it's a damn pitty Daniela had one of her bad days right now... It was really a good chance here with that draw... Nevermind, we still love you Dani. Hope she will enjoy her doubles :)

Everything in life happens for a reason

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 19:12 

Local Time:
Every court at Indian Wells has Hawkeye, so I don't see why the US Open can't have that, that's another disadvantage about an outside court, plus the line judges and umpire won't be top notch. With Hawkeye, Daniela would have had the chance to challenge dodgy calls and get them overturned or at least not had any sense of injustice or doubt about contentious calls. Parmentier played well and credit to her but it's easier to play well when you've got an extra six inches to hit into. Maybe this is handicap tennis with the underdog having a bigger court to hit into, I must have missed that rule change. The more I hear about this match the more it reminds me about the match at the Australian Open with Daniela not being fully fit and lots of line calls going against her. Yesterday Daniela had a bit of an off day, her opponent's inspired and she has no luck with line calls.

I'm just interested, did Daniela have any shots wrongly called out or was it mainly Parmentier errors being called in?

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 31. August 2011 19:54 

Local Time:
I guess one positive is that this is daniela's first opening round lost since indian wells so I guess that's pretty good. It's just a bit scary how she was able to lose that match so quickly after beating the likes of bartoli pennetta recently. She was barely on court for an hour. Really hope daniela can salvage the rest of the season. But this time last year her results were poor so I won't get my hopes up. I wish we could have a few lines from daniela. She must know how disappointed her fans are too so it would be nice for her give us her views on the match. We'll have to wait and see.

On a side note some of the outside courts can feel very boxed in and parmentier is used to playing on outside courts so maybe just felt more comfortable.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 129 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next