Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Bank of the West Classic, Stanford
PostPosted: 28. July 2010 01:06 

Local Time:
|4. May 2024| 14:26
I can only say that this is desperately disappointing for Daniela to have had such a good first set but end up losing.

Just looking at the match stats, the thing that's noticeably is how good Daniela's serve was in the first set while Peer's serve was terrible (only 20% of first serve points won). That changed in the second and third sets as Peer won 79% of first serve points while Daniela goes from 70% first serve points won in the first set to 57% won in the second and third sets while she went from winning 57% of second serve points in the first set to under 40% for the last two. We have to give credit to Peer who dug in and raised her level and she took her chances in the last couple of sets. Peer has been playing well this year.

I think that one thing that's hampering Daniela's serve is her back and shoulder and I wonder just how healthy Daniela is. One thing about her play a year ago was that Daniela was able to sustain her level in the third set and got a lot of wins because of her consistency and fitness but in recent months her play has generally deteriorated in the second and third sets. Daniela played so well in Miami, Charleston and the Fed Cup but she hurt her shoulder in the Fed Cup and since then her results have fallen away and a noticeable trend has been a good first set followed by poor second and third sets like Rome, Wimbledon and here.
I'd also question whether playing doubles did her any good and I think that right now she should save herself for singles and avoid any unnecessary strain and make sure she's as rested as possible for singles. If Daniela gets fit, I'm sure her performances and results will get better; but if she's injured or in pain then it's a lot harder to do well.

One last thing about Stanford is that since 2005 Daniela's gotten to at least the quarter-final in an odd year, but in even years she's lost in the first round.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 28. July 2010 04:34 

Local Time:
|4. May 2024| 15:26
An expected result and another inconsistent performance. Daniela is juts like this and this problem would likely continue the rest of her career. I really think (hope I am wrong though) that she already passes her peak and can never find her best-2007 form again. She might have some good runs here and there but that's it, no more. I personally think she can stay inside top 30 (might sometimes reach top 20) but top 15 is really difficult and top 10 is out of the question.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 28. July 2010 10:05 

Local Time:
I'd just have to accept that Daniela might be a hard person to work with. Maybe she doesn't like to stay with a coach for a long time, or she just doesn't have a clue about what she needs. Eduardo brought her game to a nice consistency (even then she was having R1 losses but much stronger runs), he then gives her the oportunity again, as only coach (no longer in Sanchez Casal) and she dumps him. Daniela stayed with Nigel Sears for almost 5 years,and worked with Angel Jimenez for 2 and a half years. The recent flurry of hiring and firing is new,and I can only surmise that it reflects Daniela's impatience that her game is still nowhere near its best.

I think that one thing that's hampering Daniela's serve is her back and shoulder and I wonder just how healthy Daniela is. I'd be wary of using this as an excuse. It is the shoddy level of her groundstrokes that is hurting her at the moment,and we've seen that when she's been perfectly healthy. I believe she hurt her shoulder during the Charleston event,and then played brilliantly in the Fed Cup.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 28. July 2010 17:49 

Local Time:
|4. May 2024| 14:26
dhantuchova Thanks to all of you for your support, as always :)
about 2 hours ago via web

dhantuchova I'm disappointed but that's tennis. Sometimes it's not good enough and I have to forget it fast and move onto the next tournament.

dhantuchova In the second and third sets Shahar picked her game up. It was a very good match, but unfortunately not with a good end for me.

dhantuchova Good morning :) Yesterday I played a very good first set and felt like everything was working. I was serving and moving well.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 28. July 2010 19:43 

Local Time:
There's a video of the last few points of the match available on Youtube. It's no surprise that Daniela ends the match with 3 terrible unforced errors. :roll:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 28. July 2010 23:03 

Local Time:
heres the video:

Dunno, but Daniela was very risky, thats why the UE... Maybe she thought it would be like first set ... everything going her way :/

hope next time it will be something like this

:D

Everything in life happens for a reason

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 29. July 2010 03:03 

Local Time:
I can't believe my eyes when I saw the last three points. OMG, what were you thinking Daniela??? No wonder you lost the match. Top players always have to take risks but it must be at the right time. It seems like you can't learn anything from your lessons in the past. So disappointing.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. July 2010 10:18 

Local Time:
I can't believe my eyes when I saw the last three points. OMG, what were you thinking Daniela??? It's a good example of how brainless Daniela can be sometimes,too busy fighting the gremlins in her head rather than the opponent on the other side of the net. Let's consider-Peer had already blown matchpoints and made a hash of serving out the match,so she might have been getting extremely nervous. So Daniela makes 3 errors where Shahar merely had to get the return in play. Just ridiculous. :x

PostPosted: 29. July 2010 22:57 
Maria Kirilenko just beat Peer 6/4 6/3. I only hope she can manage to pass a round in next 3 tournaments. Let's see if she can draw a Q or a WC in San Diego. But her results there are pretty dissapointing.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 30. July 2010 13:19 

Local Time:
This shows that maybe it was about Daniela... First set impressive and the last two maybe more UE, like we saw the last 3 points... but thats Daniela. She will always try to hit it. And sometime she just cant do that. :/ In the first set it was going everyting her way. Maybe she thought it will be simmilar in next one...

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 30. July 2010 21:38 

Local Time:
Maria Kirilenko just beat Peer 6/4 6/3. I only hope she can manage to pass a round in next 3 tournaments. Let's see if she can draw a Q or a WC in San Diego. But her results there are pretty dissapointing.
Radwanska just overplayed Kirilenko in 2nd set :/

too many UE, something like Daniela :/

Radwanska keeps everything back :x

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5