HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANIELA        Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 307 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: French Open, Roland Garros
PostPosted: 31. May 2010 19:44 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 04:35
A tough day for Daniela. She played great tennis in the opening set but just couldn’t get into a position to break and Jelena did well to consistently hold on and eventually break through. Daniela really didn’t do an awful lot wrong but found herself a set and a break down within a short period of time.
In the second set she did lose a bit of intensity and Jelena certainly upped her game as the pressure dropped as she took the lead in the match.
What we must remember is that Daniela beat Jankovic twice on clay when the Serb was struggling with a wrist injury. Today Jelena was close to 100% and she really is a great mover on clay when she’s playing her better tennis.
Daniela has certainly shown enough to suggest that she is going to be even more of a threat on the grass and the US hard courts. She’s playing an aggressive game, yet controlled, and is hitting nice and loose off the backhand side (last year she was a lot tighter).
This fourth round showing will be good for her ranking (at least in closing the gap between herself and those above her) and provides memontum into the grass season that she didn’t have last year following her first-round exit. I think we can expect more strong results over the next couple of months from Daniela.

On another note, what a great effort from Stosur today to knock out Henin. Had a break lead in the final set, lost it through nerves, but then still came back to break again and serve out for the win. Serena v Sam will be an interesting match for sure.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 31. May 2010 19:57 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 05:35
Is she approaching the top 20 now?
280pts is not enough... :/

she will be maybe 24 or 25... I dont know... Can somebody correct me?

But there are so many players around Daniela with a lot more points... so Top20 is not likely for Daniela I think :/ she will have to defend 4R wimbledon and US open...

She will have to get a huge succes to get to top20 :/

Everything in life happens for a reason

Tier III Title Holder
PostPosted: 31. May 2010 20:34 

Local Time:
I am a bit disappointed by what Daniela did in the second set. She made a lot of unforced errors. She can't win this way. She never came to the net. I expected more but it's quite a good tournament by the way :-)

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 31. May 2010 21:35 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 00:35
Is she approaching the top 20 now?
280pts is not enough... :/

she will be maybe 24 or 25... I dont know... Can somebody correct me?

But there are so many players around Daniela with a lot more points... so Top20 is not likely for Daniela I think :/ she will have to defend 4R wimbledon and US open...

She will have to get a huge succes to get to top20 :/

Didn't know the gap was that big. No top 20 in the near future, then. And she entered Eastbourne, which has a stronger field :evil:

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 31. May 2010 21:48 

Local Time:

PostPosted: 31. May 2010 22:10 
No comments for the match. I don't want be bad @ Dani. Good luck for grass season :cry:

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 1. June 2010 02:20 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 14:35
I've given up worrying about Daniela's ranking. She's not consistent enough to make any significant gains from her current position. The most i hope for is a couple of deep runs at isolated tournaments.

Hopefully she gets a decent draw at Wimbledon because she has a much more realistic chance of going deep there. Daniela's form this week bodes well for the remainder of the season, but we said that after her marvellous wins over JJ and she backed that up with some pretty poor first round loses. For that reason, i'm far from optimistic. But there's always hope.

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 1. June 2010 05:23 

Local Time:
I've given up worrying about Daniela's ranking. She's not consistent enough to make any significant gains from her current position. The most i hope for is a couple of deep runs at isolated tournaments.

Hopefully she gets a decent draw at Wimbledon because she has a much more realistic chance of going deep there. Daniela's form this week bodes well for the remainder of the season, but we said that after her marvellous wins over JJ and she backed that up with some pretty poor first round loses. For that reason, i'm far from optimistic. But there's always hope.

Well said, I must agree with you. And as I said before, there is no word like consistency in her dictionary so I just enjoy every good run of hers.

About last match, I only watched the first set and I must say she played a very good first set until 4 all. After broken at 4-5, in stead of being patient to come back, she rushed too much and out of nowhere she found herself down a set and a break. But if she can play like in the first set, we will see more good run this year especially after this up and down clay court season.

Overall, RG is a good tournament for her this year. Keep it up Daniela, I hope to see more good run from you.

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 1. June 2010 11:30 

Local Time:
I think Daniela not playing in Birmingham, and entering Eastbourne instead of Den Bosch, is a very bad decision. In Eastbourne she could play a Top 20 player in the 1rst round, and lose, and go to Wimbledon with just one match under her belt. In the smaller tourneys she could at least have two or three wins. I don't know why Daniela has such a high-handed attitude towards the smaller tourneys. Even Sharapova, who's ranked higher than she is, and has achieved a whole lot more in her career, understands that it's a good strategy to enter smaller tourneys to get match-fit. Daniela on the other hand doesn't seem to mind the 1rst round losses. Maybe her sponsors require her to play the bigger tourneys; that could be an explanation. What do you guys think?

Site Admin
PostPosted: 1. June 2010 19:45 

Local Time:
Saw only a couple of games in the 2nd set but had to switch to another channel. Daniela looked like her typical I am defeated and everything is going against me self, I simply didn't want to watch it. I heard there was some questionable line call late in the 1st set which disrupted her rhythm. Quite typical.

Julian, thanks for your concern. I am fine, perhaps more than ever. As for why I've been visiting the forum so rarely lately, there are I think 3 answers. First, my passion for tennis and Daniela's results has gone downhill a little bit. I still follow her results, but not so passionately anymore. My web connection is so bad nowadays that I can't even watch livestreams. Another thing is my job, which takes about 10 hours per day and then I have to travel one more hour before arriving home. Therefore no time to watch Eurosport, from RG I've seen zero matches so far. I hope to see a Berdych match, but I don't feel very optimistic about it. Then there is the fact that I spend a lot of time outside home (jigs, trains, pubs etc. :lol: ) and I am not going to buy a laptop anytime soon. And the most important reason for my absence is my new girlfriend who I want to be with.
Sorry for this massive off-topic, guys. I wish you well and hope that Daniela's future results will bring you as much joy as Indian Wells 2007 brought to me. Perhaps I will be posting more soon, one never knows. :lol:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 1. June 2010 21:54 

Local Time:
I think Daniela not playing in Birmingham, and entering Eastbourne instead of Den Bosch, is a very bad decision. In Eastbourne she could play a Top 20 player in the 1rst round, and lose, and go to Wimbledon with just one match under her belt. In the smaller tourneys she could at least have two or three wins. I don't know why Daniela has such a high-handed attitude towards the smaller tourneys. Even Sharapova, who's ranked higher than she is, and has achieved a whole lot more in her career, understands that it's a good strategy to enter smaller tourneys to get match-fit. Daniela on the other hand doesn't seem to mind the 1rst round losses. Maybe her sponsors require her to play the bigger tourneys; that could be an explanation. What do you guys think?

Daniela is on the tour to enjoy herself and the bigger tournaments are certainly more enjoyable than the smaller ones (and draw bigger crowds). She's financially secure and I would say picks tournaments that she is going to enjoy and that offer the chances of the most points and the greatest potential scalps. She clearly thinks she can still beat the top players when she's at her best so good luck to her. At Eastbourne there are alot of top players but there's no Williams' sisters, no Henin, and no Sharapova - the biggest threats on the tour (besides Clijsters). Players like Wozniacki, Kuznetsova and Azarenka she can beat, and certainly on grass. I am quite surprised that she's not playing Birmingham if she's in the UK because it's a nice tournament with a relaxed atmosphere (the English equivalent to the tournament in Bali I'd say :) ), but then it seems to consistently rain there and matches build up and that's not too good for healthy, injury-free preparation. I see what you're saying about Sharapova (and she clearly benefitted from entering Memphis and Strasbourg - she won both), but I think it's also important to maintain a schedule that permits recovery time. If she plays alot of the smaller tournaments then that would probably mean playing fewer of the bigger tournaments (Sharapova didn't play Charleston, for instance). I would like to see Daniela get lots of wins but I would also like to see her at the big tournaments playing against the top players. It is only in this scenario that a player can maintain a world-class standard and keep-up with the leading women on the tour.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 2. June 2010 02:07 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 00:35
Pretty nice video, she seemed to be in a really good mood ;)

Loved her favorite quote, so true

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 2. June 2010 07:00 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 03:35
Rankings with the 4R results:

1 Serena Williams 8475 still playing
2 Venus Williams 6506
3 Caroline Wozniacki 5970
4 Elena Dementieva 5570 with SF points
5 Jelena Jankovic 5380 still playing
6 Agnieszka Radwanska 4010
7 Samantha Stosur 4005 still playing
8 Kim Clijsters 3890
9 Francesca Schiavone 3890 with SF points
10 Flavia Pennetta 3450
11 Na Li 3395
12 Marion Bartoli 3246
13 Nadia Petrova 3195
14 Shahar Peer 3175
15 Vika Azarenka 3170
16 Yanina Wickmayer 3110
17 Maria Sharapova 3010
18 Justine Henin 2855
19 Svetlana Kuznetsova 2821
20 Dinara Safina 2761
21 Aravane Rezai 2755
22 Vera Zvonareva 2725
23 Maria Jose Martinez 2480
24 Jie Zheng 2325
25 Daniela Hantuchova 2285
26 Lucie Safarova 2075
27 Alisa Kleybanova 2010
28 Maria Kirilenko 1985
29 Alona Bondarenko 1855
30 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 1850
31 Yaroslava Shvedova 1830 Still playing

So, Daniela closed the gap from 780 to 476 points to top 20 which is good. She also closed the gap to #24 (to get 17/24 seed in wimbledon) from 315 to 40 pts. and from the #30 she increased the gap from 300 to 435pts.

If I'm not wrong here are the points that people are defending till Wimbledon (wimbledon included) that could affect Dani's rank
20.Safina: SF at Ordina Open and Wimbledon = 1030 pts
21.Rezai: 2nd round at Wimbledon = 100pts
22.Zvonareva: 3rd round at Wimbledon = 160pts
23.Martinez: 1st round at Wimbledon = 5pts
24.Zheng: 3R at Aegon Classic, 2R at Aegon International and Wimbledon = 190pts
25.Hantuchova: 4R at Wimbledon = 280pts

So, excluding Safina, all of the above players trying to enter top20 have less points to defend on grass than Daniela.. She really needs a good run at some event on grass before Wimbledon to gain some points.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 2. June 2010 15:47 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 14:35
Stosur just took out Serena! I'm so happy for her. She served for it in the second set and didn't manage to take it out but had the nerve to come back at Serena in the third. I'd really love to see her take out the title, if for no other reason than to beat JJ who decided to play her best tennis against Daniela *sigh* -- she's not beating Shvedova convincingly at the moment though, so who knows.

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 2. June 2010 23:50 

Local Time:
I think Stosur will make the final. Jankovic wasn't that convincing against Shvedova and I think with the way Sam is hitting her forehand and serving she'll go through, maybe even in straight sets. I'd imagine Schiavone will be a bundle of nerves tomorrow and Dementieva will capitalise since she's been in the semi-finals of Slams many times before (and has also had some tough losses that I'm sure she has learnt from). A Stosur v Dementieva final wouldn't exactly be a tournament director's pick, but then with the WTA Tour as wide open as it is what can be expected.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 307 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next