Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Author Enter your Message here

hellene fan
 Post subject: Re: BGL Luxembourg Open
PostPosted: 27. October 2009 18:25 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 12:03
some good matches here and there and nothing else to take from this season
i can say was a bad season,will be remembered for SI photos :roll:

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 28. October 2009 03:11 

Local Time:
Well, for me personally, this is a simply bad season of Daniela with lots of matches where she could, would or should have won. If the translation is correct where she said this is a "solid season", then I really can't understand what she is thinking. Towards the end of the season, I do see some improvement in her performance but unfortunately, consistency is still no where to see. I really hope she can take a rest, refresh her mind and think how she can change this "forever-weakness" in her game. One more thing is that Daniela seems to rush too much for crazy shots. In some matches where she controlled this well, we could always see a solid performance. Overall I can see she is slowly getting back to her form but there are still lots of things to work on. I am looking for a solid season indeed.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 28. October 2009 07:11 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 05:03
I don't see it that way. Daniela started the year at 19 and ended at 24. Not moving up but out of hundreds in the hunt, not bad. Record of 39 -24 in '09 and earned $700,000 from tennis matches alone. She has been in the top 40 for 9 years and has earned over $6 million. She is beautiful, obviously intelligent, doing what she loves and traveling the world. I wish her a geat and restful off season and can't wait for her 2010 season.

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 28. October 2009 07:47 

Local Time:
... Not moving up but out of hundreds in the hunt, not bad. ...

Well if you consider that way, then Daniela should be pleased to just stay in top 30. What I mention is the chance that she moves up because she is totally capable of doing that. The problem is she just didn't take her chances. Daniela's game is very good and her ground strokes are also beautiful, she just couldn't take advantage of that to win those "silly" matches against those players she was expected to win. Instead of that, she always struggled in her matches. Sometimes she was playing so well at the beginning and then dropped the level dramatically or just started to play well too late to get back into the match. Her fighting spirit is there, just the consistency is lacking.
For your information, Daniela's goal for this year was to be qualified for Doha, which unfortunately too far to reach with her performance. That is what I am talking about.

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 28. October 2009 14:54 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 11:03
definately this season can be evaluated both positive and negative, depending on the point of view.
For any player who has never been in the top 50 before, the results which Daniela had in 2009 would be simply perfect, excellentand and brilliant.
Personally, if I would earn 700.000$ in one year.. omg that would be an inexpressible materialistic success for me.

But if you take Daniela's standards, 2009 was only average, if not below, and that's what dani-fan is saying.
Of course there are hundreds of players ranked lower than Daniela, and she's still in business, but it would have been better.

These quotes say it all:
Yes. I think overall it was a season of "almosts" for Daniela
with lots of matches where she could, would or should have won

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 28. October 2009 21:01 

Local Time:
For any player who has never been in the top 50 before, the results which Daniela had in 2009 would be simply perfect, excellentand and brilliant.This is a bit of a strawman argument,as Daniela has been in the top 50 since 2001,and has reached as high as no.5 in the world,in a much stronger era.

The money earned is immaterial,as she was set up for life by winning Indian Wells in 2002. If there are concrete reasons for believing this season can be proved positively,I would love to hear them as I desperately need a reason to be optimistic about Daniela at the moment. A year where her end-of-season ranking is lower than that of 2008 despite being healthy is crushingly disappointing. :cry:

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 28. October 2009 23:37 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 11:03
For any player who has never been in the top 50 before, the results which Daniela had in 2009 would be simply perfect, excellentand and brilliant.This is a bit of a strawman argument,as Daniela has been in the top 50 since 2001,and has reached as high as no.5 in the world,in a much stronger era.
maybe you didn't get my point correctly. I didn't use this argument to show that it was a good year! What I tried to say is that the 2009 season was not totally crap since she won't die of hunger, but for her standards (for the reasons you mentioned Daniela's standard is pretty high!) it was rather odd.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 29. October 2009 01:42 

Local Time:
This whole season was a terrible fail. In 2008 Daniela was bedeviled by injury and illness,but no such excuses are available this season. In terms of serving,backhand,footwork and on court temperament she has simply regressed terribly. Plus,she is having a laugh if she thinks the standard today is anywhere near that of 2007 when she did so well. This has been an atrocious season of women's tennis.

My earlier response was more a reaction to this and other analysis that overstated Daniela's season as though it was all bad. No one dominated in the top 10 or the second 10 for that matter all year. Life is made up of woulda, coulda, shouldas. While disapppointing, she still, like many players this year held her own and in the process continued to make a living doing what she enjoys. To some that is success.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. October 2009 01:59 

Local Time:
That 700,000 in US dollars ain't worth what it used to be; I hope Daniela invested the prize money in gold for her sake.

One thing you have to keep in mind when projecting any player's next season is that there is always a 5% chance (or something like that) of a catastrophic fall. Whether it's a bad injury, bad luck with draws or scorelines, or a sudden drop in ability, there's always a few really good players who see large drops in rankings over one year (Srebotnik, Chakvetadze, Zheng, Schnyder, Bammer to one extent or another). From a statistics standpoint, this is known as regression to the mean.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 30. October 2009 17:51 

Local Time:
lets hope for ala dementienva 08 and penneta 09 ,2010 season

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6