Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: US Open, New York
PostPosted: 6. September 2009 20:01 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 06:15
Ouch.

Boy did that suck, fair play to Daniela she tried her best but an even slightly in form Serena, nine times out of ten, is going to pick apart Daniela. Sucks to be bageled as well but its still another 4th round showing, a massive improvement on the two previous years and Daniela now can look forward to the indoor season which is normal pretty productive and gives Daniela some more opportunities to bed herself inside the top 20.

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. September 2009 20:47 

Local Time:
Well, if we are honest, Daniela had no chance of beating Serena. Unless the American has pratically a year off tour and gains a couple of stone in weight, then shows up to a tournament (i.e. Australian Open 2006), then Daniela really has no shot against her.

Serena knows her game, knows the best that Daniela can come up with, and can respond to it in style. Daniela really lacks the power required to trouble Serena in any way, and is not given enough time to be even moderately creative on the court.

I heard a pundit suggest that Daniela could do with gaining some weight and muscle in order to aid her in tackling these stronger, superior opponants, and I would have to agree with this to an extent. If Daniela put on some pounds and gained a little more muscle, particularly in her legs, then she would be a much better defensive player because she would be able to recover much quicker to the centre of the court. Today, Serena just rolled the ball left and right and then smacked winners down the lines. Daniela can do nothing to avoid being heavily beaten by Serena when the American is able to dictate play to this extent.

All in all I'm not that delighted with Daniela's US Open because at the end of the day she beat players that she definately should have beaten. Shaughnessy and King aren't very big scalps at all, and neither is Bacsinszky in all honesty. King is a very good match-up for Daniela, and she definately should have one in straight sets. Had she beaten Shaughnessy and Bacsinszky in straight sets too, then I might have been a little more impressed with her Open.

A fourth round showing is good on paper, but when you look at the players that Daniela has beaten, it looks slightly less impressive. Of course, Daniela does not choose her opponants, but for me, reaching the fourth round without beating a seeded player is very different to reaching the fourth round having had a couple of good wins over high ranked players.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. September 2009 21:22 

Local Time:
Regarding the depth and current level in the women's game; I think its at a low point. Yes there have been some upsets this week, but it is really down to the top players having nothing but power to bring to the court, which is over time going to be matched by youngsters coming onto the tour. Sharapova has rather unfortunately lost her killer serve (which won her the US Open in 2006), and now that this huge part of her game has dissapeared, she is probably going to struggle to get inside the world's top-five and stay there, and may even struggle to get inside the world's top-ten. Similarly Safina is perhaps one of the worst world's number 1 of the Open Era, and serves equally as bad as her compatriot. Ivanovic has lost her game almost entirely, and is a reflection of what happened to Nicole Vadisova (albeit Vaidisova didn't reach the same heights as the Serbian), while players like Kuznetsova are very flashy and lack year-long consistency. We are only getting more upsets because the level of tennis being played at the top of the women's game has dropped substantially.

Thankfully, the Williams' sisters are still around in order to 'carry' the game through this tough time and pave the way for youngsters with lots of talent (like Oudin, Rogowska and Robson) to come through and produce great rivalries and great match-ups, that don't just get determined by who serves the most double-faults. Women's tennis is seriously lacking great rivalries, and even the Venus versus Serena saga lacks the great rivalry factor, not least because they are related, but also beause they have such similar games. Clijsters' return will certainly add some intrigue to the top of the women's game, and perhaps a rivalry between the Belgain and Serena Williams (who I expect to soon be world number 1 again), will add an exciting element to the women's tour over the next couple of years.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 01:00 

Local Time:
Hantuyama are third on Grandstand:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 07:11 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 07:15
disgusting and pathetic perfomance
:twisted: :twisted:

Tier III Title Holder
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 08:38 

Local Time:
In French we say "Elle s'est pris une belle branlée." Serena was better in every part of the game, power, speed, control, angle... The top 10 is too high for Dani :(

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 13:18 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 16:15
I think it's a good thing that the forum was down when Daniela played Serena because i might have said something i'd end up regretting. She was simply outclassed in every category against Serena. No ifs or buts about it. It's disappointing to see Daniela not try to employ any kind of different tactic against Serena - she just sat there trying to beat her from the baseline.. totally frivolous. She seemed to have literally zero game plan going in. Hopefully she gets her arse handed to her to by someone regarding her performance. There's literally no positive spin to be put on it. If she wants to make it anywhere near the top ten again she's going to have to dedicate herself to improving her game. The biggest problem area is her serve. She's certainly not handicapped by height yet her serve is almost a liability. Here's to hoping she has a decent end to the season and dedicates herself to bulking up in the off season.

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

hellene fan
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 14:21 

Local Time:
very well said bmc

hellene fan
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 17:01 

Local Time:
i smell huge upset
huge upset :lol:
yeah, obviously you smelled something else. I suggest to open your window ;)

dont shoot the pianist

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 17:44 

Local Time:
She doesn't need to bulk up,BMC. She served much faster in 2002,and she was considerably leaner then than she is today. It seems to be a plan these days to just roll the first serve in and hope to gain cheap points by accuracy. That isn't going to cut it against the top players-it was noticeable that when she went for the flatter,more powerful serve she had Serena in a lot more trouble. I'm not a fan of the abbreviated service motion either,I hope she goes back to a more fluid delivery.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 17:54 

Local Time:
She doesn't need to bulk up,BMC. She served much faster in 2002,and she was considerably leaner then than she is today. It seems to be a plan these days to just roll the first serve in and hope to gain cheap points by accuracy. That isn't going to cut it against the top players-it was noticeable that when she went for the flatter,more powerful serve she had Serena in a lot more trouble. I'm not a fan of the abbreviated service motion either,I hope she goes back to a more fluid delivery.

I mentioned in a previous post on this page that she needs to add muscle, so I agree with what BMC is suggesting. However, I don't think she needs to bulk up in order to aid her serve, I think she needs to bulk up in order to help her recovery and defense. When playing the power hitters she needs much more strength in the legs in order to get back to the centre of the court after being pushed wide. Yesterday she was able to reach the first wide ball from Williams, but was struggling to get back into position and chase down further wide balls. As a result she is being forced to use that dreadful one-handed stretch backhand of hers that really does nothing to hinder her opponant, and often actually sets her opponant up with a very easy, put-away smash. We'll have to wait and see what happens over the next month or so and over the off-season, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few people that she is working with suggest that she adds a couple of pounds before the start of the 2010 season.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 18:08 

Local Time:
I'm not convinced. She's already a glutton for punishment so far as working out in the gym is concerned(was working out at 11pm in Toronto after a late doubles match) and the last thing we want is Daniela going down the route that Henin and Jankovic did when training with Etcheberry. She bulked up massively in 2004,and the end result was that she was slower than ever. :|

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 19:24 

Local Time:
can we get a stream for grandstand? i don't think so.. :(

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 20:56 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 00:15
Yan just drilled Zheng in the head with a return; she's laughing but that didn't look good.

Daniela is now wearing black nail varnish presumably mourning yesterday's debacle.

And Murphy Jensen cannot pronounce Daniela's name.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 7. September 2009 21:12 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 00:15
Zheng with some bad errors and Hantuyama break back for 5-4.

Nice serving from Daniela to serve it out at love. :)

Second set:
0-2: Didn't see the first game, but Daniela made a DF and two other errors to concede the break in the second game.
1-2: They get the break back. Daniela had a very nice BH down the line winner on a second serve.

Last edited by pmrd44 on 7. September 2009 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next