Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 163 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Author Enter your Message here

Site Admin
 Post subject: Re: Western & Southern Financial Group Womens Open, Cincinnati
PostPosted: 14. August 2009 23:13 

Local Time:
|19. April 2024| 03:16
Pennetta didn't really show anything spectacular (as expected), that's why I am disappointed. Imo this is a missed opportunity.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 14. August 2009 23:41 

Local Time:
It would only have been a missed oppurtunity if Daniela was fresh and fighting fit. Giving up on the doubles was a clear sign she was absolutely knackered,as she only does that in extremis. She even played doubles with raging flu at Wimbledon.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 14. August 2009 23:48 

Local Time:
|18. April 2024| 20:16
Sorry to hear she didn't play well, but she certainly had a valid excuse as other have pointed out.

One important thing achieved here is that she will be a top 24 seed for the US Open (almost assuredly unless some weird things happen with players behind her) which is an improvement from the 25-32 group. I won't affect her potential first or second round matches at all (IMO, that's the most important part of the draw), but her chances to reach the second week are much higher now.

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 15. August 2009 00:01 

Local Time:
Toronto. First Round : Daniela vs Q.

Profile WWW

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 15. August 2009 00:03 

Local Time:
And second round against Serena Williams. :(

Marion Bartoli (13) vs Alona Bondarenko
qualifier vs qualifier
qualifier vs Daniela Hantuchova
BYE vs Serena Williams (2)

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 15. August 2009 04:09 

Local Time:
|19. April 2024| 12:16
From most accounts, it looks like Daniela was simply tired. That shouldn't be an excuse as Pennetta would have been tired too, but all those 2.5 hour matches must have really drained Daniela.
She committed something like 30+ unforced errors, and from reading posts that say she was hitting really flat and making easy errors, it sounds like she was tired and just wanted to finish the point early.

Overall, such a great week for Daniela. I never would have imagined she would beat Zvonareva, but she did, and held her nerve. Simply amazing. The positive is that she's beating players she should be beating and is coming up with a surprising win or two along the way (i.e. Zvonareva, Radwanska, etc).

Ever since her first round loss in the French, she's won her matches against lower ranked opponents, beaten higher ranked opponents (Zheng, Radwanska, Zvonareva) and lost to quality opponents (Safina, Williams, Dementieva and Pennetta who is on a 15match streak). In fact, I don't think Daniela has lost to a lower ranked opponent since Razzano in Dubai (that's if you discount the freak-win that was Dulgheru in Warsaw)

Here's hoping she continues her good form and gets some kind draws. I think Passos is doing well with Daniela!

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 15. August 2009 05:58 

Local Time:
I couldn't take another late night so i was in bed pretty early, but if by all accounts Daniela looked tired or sluggish she kinda has a right to. Although, at the same time, doubles wouldn't have taken a lot out of her but with a lack of recuperation time anyone would seem sluggish after 5 matches in 3 days. I think Daniela should give doubles a rest for a while. I can't imagine that it didn't hamper her singles success in this tournament, which is disappointing because she had a legitimate chance of making a semi final and winning 4 games in a row. I think the positive to be taken is that Daniela could very easily have taken a set against Flavia had the cards been dealt differently (i'd like to think even Daniela could take out a set with a double break ;)) even though she was probably really feeling the pinch from the last couple of days.

She's only been losing to quality opponents for the last couple of tournaments so that's a massive positive that we should all be looking at. She's putting herself in a good position to have a stronger seeding for the US Open and with a bit of luck might be able to bag herself a whole bunch of ranking points.

All in all a good tournament from Daniela. Hopefully she can continue her form and maybe concentrate a bit more on her singles. I'd like to see her maybe take a tournament or 2 off in doubles. Save it for the US Open. But that's my only criticism of Daniela's current everything haha. On to the next tournament!

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 15. August 2009 05:59 

Local Time:
And second round against Serena Williams. :(

Marion Bartoli (13) vs Alona Bondarenko
qualifier vs qualifier
qualifier vs Daniela Hantuchova
BYE vs Serena Williams (2)

Ouch.

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 15. August 2009 09:26 

Local Time:
I actually like this draw - I mean yeah it sucks to have serena in round 2, but if she loses to Serena then she can recouperate in time for US Open. I also think it's good to play Serena as it shows up ones weaknesses.

It will be interesting to see whether Daniela plys in Toronto or not...

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 15. August 2009 13:37 

Local Time:
Well, that was a bit disappointing, i hope she played better in her previous matches. She could have reached the SF if she wouldn't have been tired.

As for Toronto, Serena Williams won't lose to Danka, even if she's in bad form. I hope she can play well and make it a bit competitive.

*Nicole Vaidisova*Agnes Szavay*Tatiana Golovin*

*Daniela Hantuchova*Agnieszka Radwanska*Dinara Safina*
Alona Bondarenko*Iveta Benesova*Aleksandra Wozniak*
Elena Dementieva*Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova*Stefanie Vögele*

<3

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 15. August 2009 13:45 

Local Time:
|19. April 2024| 02:16
Daniela definately had chances in this match, but her forehand let her down hugely. If she had been able to just get some forehands in during that last game of the match then I'm sure she would have broken Pennetta and then been serving at *4-5. I'm not sure that we can blame this entirely on fatigue because her backhand seemed to be fine, and it was that shot that kept her in that last game and enabled her to save six match points.

Yes it was an opportunity to reach the semi-finals, but Pennetta was certainly playing some great tennis, and would have perhaps beaten Daniela even if Daniela had been fully fresh.

Its been a great tournament despite this loss, and Daniela's ranking rises considerably next week, which is great news regarding a decent seeding for Daniela at the US Open.

To beat Zvonareva in the way she did shows the improvements made over the past couple of months, and I think Daniela definately has a shot at going into the second week in New York.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. August 2009 10:08 

Local Time:
|19. April 2024| 02:16
I only caught the last few games of the match with Pennetta and although I was disappointed in the back of my mind I was thinking the whole time what she had already achieved that week and beating Zvonareva has to be the highlight of the season for me considering the comprehensiveness that Zvonareva has beaten Daniela in their previous meetings, added to the fact that a Daniela from just a few months would have folded after a 6-0 drubbing in the 2nd set of a match, to come back and take the final set on the breaker and with it the match shows how much she has come on and her new ranking of 22 is testament to the work she has put in, now a good performance in Toronto and Flushing Meadows would hopefully bring what I have been banging on about, which is a top 20 place, which would be the icing on the cake for me.

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

hellene fan
PostPosted: 18. August 2009 11:21 

Local Time:
I was out for some days,but i managed to see the second set.
fatique was a reason,but not the main,penneta is in hot-form,playing really well
good to see the fighting spirit to save the 4-5 mp's.
anyway a good tournament for daniela

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 163 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11