Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Site Admin
 Post subject: Roland Garros, Paris
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 09:31 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 02:08
imageDates: May 24 - June 7, 2009
Category: Grand Slam
Prize Money: TBA
Draw: 128M/96Q/64D
Surface: Clay/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Sandra de Jenken Eversmann

Official Website:

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: Roland Garros, Paris
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 10:54 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 01:08
Daniela will play Virginie Razzano in round 1!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 10:57 

Local Time:
Quite a good draw considering she is unseeded...

1R Razzano
2R Medina Garrigues[18] or Makarova
3R Bartoli [13]
4R Dementieva [4]
QF Jankovic [5]
SF S.Williams [2]
F Safina [1]

Of course Razzano will have home support, but Daniela can definately beat her if she plays well. And Medina Garrigues is probably one of the best seeds she could have drawn since she retired in Strasbourg with a back injury. However, Makarova is the other potential second round opponant and she has been playing well recently so that could be a tougher match. All in all though, I'm quite pleased with this draw.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 11:10 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 11:08
Yeah, aside from Razzano, this was a relatively kind draw.

I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope that one of the seeds (i'm looking at you Zvonareva) withdraws before play starts. Razzano is the next player to be seeded, and if she gets a seeding, Daniela would play a lucky loser instead! :twisted:

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 11:17 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 11:08
Oh. This is a good draw. One tournament at a time though..

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 11:42 

Local Time:
Yeah, aside from Razzano, this was a relatively kind draw.

I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope that one of the seeds (i'm looking at you Zvonareva) withdraws before play starts. Razzano is the next player to be seeded, and if she gets a seeding, Daniela would play a lucky loser instead! :twisted:

Lol how funny!

Not a bad draw at all! I'm worried about the 1st round draw though...

Site Admin
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 12:13 

Local Time:
I am not so thrilled with this draw to be honest.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 12:26 

Local Time:
|1. May 2024| 19:08
I'm with Martin. I'd have rather seen her play a sub-100 player in round one and get potentially tougher players down the line. Razzano is literally one of the best five or six fellow unseeded players in the draw.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 14:04 

Local Time:
Razzano has had a lot of good wins this year, so the first round will be tough, but I guess it is better than having to play a top10 player.

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 15:03 

Local Time:
This isn't a great draw as Razzano has won the last two matches with Daniela and has had some good results this year. Razzano does play with big flat groundstrokes and doesn't have much margin for error in her game, so if she's on form she's a difficult opponent but if she's off she'll make errors. In that respect, it's a decent match for Daniela as the points will be rallies will be fairly short and Razzano is a better opponent than a retriever. Razzano lost in the first round the past three years, in 2006 it was to Clijsters but in the past two years it was to Sequera and Zakapolova so her recent Roland Garros record isn't great but it's still a tough match.

Medina Garrigues beat Daniela here two years ago although Daniela beat her in Rome in 2007. Medina Garrigues's best surface is clay and she's a retriever so that would be a tough match for Daniela although Medina Garrigues did withdraw from Strasbourg and she lost in the Rome first round to Chakvetadze and in the Madrid first round to Dushevina who Daniela beat the week before in Rome, so there are questions about her form and fitness. Medina Garrigues thrashed Makarova in the Fez final and Daniela thrashed Makarova at the Paris indoors although Makarova got to the Fez and Estoril finals and had some good wins in Miami so she'll have a bit of confidence.

This is the cliche of one match a time as Razzano will be tough in the first round. Daniela avoided one of the contenders but the draw could still have been better.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 16:10 

Local Time:
its a grand slam
daniela plays well, has good coach,i trust the duo
quarters not out of question

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 17:25 

Local Time:
I am not so thrilled with this draw to be honest.

Same here. The whole match depends really on Razzano. If she has one of her good days, it will be very difficult for Danka. If she plays bad, Danka has the chance to advance. The draw is ok, but especially what I've seen from Warsaw doesn't make me believe she will go far here, especially because she didn't even go far at RG when she was playing well. If she's able to play her A-Game consistently, I can see her reaching the 3rd or even 4th Round but definitely not more. I'm really not expecting a lot here, she showed in Fed Cup that she's able to play wonderful, and she showed in Warsaw (even if she reached the SF) that she has Days where just nothing works. It will depend a lot on the conditions and on her opponents. But as you could see in Warsaw, even if she has a good draw, she isn't sure to advance.

I just hope to see some of her real skills, maybe on a bigger court (Razzano played last year on Suzanne Lenglen vs. Zakopalova) and it would be great to see her doing well here.

*Nicole Vaidisova*Agnes Szavay*Tatiana Golovin*

*Daniela Hantuchova*Agnieszka Radwanska*Dinara Safina*
Alona Bondarenko*Iveta Benesova*Aleksandra Wozniak*
Elena Dementieva*Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova*Stefanie Vögele*

<3

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 19:30 

Local Time:
I think Daniela is the one who decides this match against Razzano.

What I saw so far from Daniela, she could really play on a very high level - also on clay - with a great variety. If she is able to do so, Razzano shouldn't be a problem.
If Daniela don't, it is just the other way round.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Site Admin
PostPosted: 22. May 2009 23:11 

Local Time:
You guys should not forget that RG clay is faster than the one in Warsaw. That is a very important factor for Danka. Every claycourt tournament in Europe is different, Warsaw is the slowest one. If you want to make any predictions, never forget this as it considerably influences the match-ups. Rankings are not important, the match-up is. Forget Razzano's results on hard in 2009, this is something utterly different.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 23. May 2009 13:37 

Local Time:
Hope you're right martin. Daniela behaved really immaturely in that 3rd set yesterday and really left a bad taste in my mouth. When your coach is trying to help you,don't mock him behind his back. :roll:

Lenglen played pretty quickly last year,so lets hope Daniela gets to play there.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next