Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 142 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Grand Slam Champion
 Post subject: Re: Sony Ericsson Open, Miami
PostPosted: 28. March 2009 17:58 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 15:50
in my opinion she should play a few "little" tournaments ,so that she can get a little bit more match experience and confidence.
If she only plays the "big" tournaments it makes no sense in my opinion if she looses always in the first or second round.
And only with more practise sessions you can't get more match experience...
So before charleston she could play ponte vedra beach or marbella

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 28. March 2009 18:10 

Local Time:
Just watching the tournament today and get the feeling that the swirling wind might have played havoc with Daniela's game. :|

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 28. March 2009 18:42 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 14:50
I think a positive from the year so far is that her race ranking is actually 23 (much higher than her current ranking). Considering she has played some poor matches, to be ranked 23 is not too bad, and its not as if she has played way more tournaments than the players around her in the race ranking. The average number of tournaments played so far this year out of the players in the top-twenty in the race is just over 5 and Daniela has played 6. So I am still confident that at the end of the clay, grass and US Open hard-court seasons Daniela will be just inside the top-twenty in the official 12-month rankings, which will set her up nicely in terms of being seeded for tournaments in the Autumn (a section of the season where she tends to play well).

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 28. March 2009 18:54 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 08:50
I think a positive from the year so far is that her race ranking is actually 23 (much higher than her current ranking). Considering she has played some poor matches, to be ranked 23 is not too bad, and its not as if she has played way more tournaments than the players around her in the race ranking. The average number of tournaments played so far this year out of the players in the top-twenty in the race is just over 5 and Daniela has played 6. So I am still confident that at the end of the clay, grass and US Open hard-court seasons Daniela will be just inside the top-twenty in the official 12-month rankings, which will set her up nicely in terms of being seeded for tournaments in the Autumn (a section of the season where she tends to play well).

I agree, you make a good point. But Daniela cannot keep losing in the first second or third rounds. She needs to put together some good wins. All her recent results are consistant with someone who is in the top 50s maybe even 60s. This only makes her look more beatable to her opponents.

This is weird to bring up but, I want to see Daniela play Srebotnik. Daniela is 7-0 against her, all their matches were very close and most went to a third set. right not daniela is ranked at 43 while srebotnik is at 22. I want to see them play to see if maybe there is something "physically" different wth her game which is causing alot of her loses or if it is something more mental.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 01:49 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 13:50
Poor , poor performance :/
But as a fan we need to support her even if she loses 6-0 6-0 with a top 500 .
she'll find her rythm for sure and she'll be back to the top of her game , just like in 2007 , i trully believe in that :)

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 05:18 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 00:50

Hearing that makes me feel a lot better about Daniela's situation. Someone on this forum always manages to find the silver lining :D

---

I totally agree that Daniela should play some smaller tournaments. They worked wonders for her right after the 2007 US Open. I know she was just trying to qualify for the YEC, but picking up extra wins in Bali and that tournament where she lost to Kirilenko in the semis (name isn't coming to me at the moment) really set her up well for the remainder of her season -- at least that's what i think. She just needs confidence.

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 11:33 

Local Time:
You are thinking of Kolkata,BMC. :P

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 17:43 

Local Time:
Well, Chakvetadze just lost 1-6 4-6 to Victoria Azarenka. I really don't want to know what Vika would have made with Danka...

*Nicole Vaidisova*Agnes Szavay*Tatiana Golovin*

*Daniela Hantuchova*Agnieszka Radwanska*Dinara Safina*
Alona Bondarenko*Iveta Benesova*Aleksandra Wozniak*
Elena Dementieva*Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova*Stefanie Vögele*

<3

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 21:37 

Local Time:
Well safina, jankovic and ivanovic are all out in either 2nd or 3rd rounds - so all the top players are struggling at the moment. Bring on the clay season - anything can happen.

As for Azarenka - i think Daniela would have put up more of a fight than Chakvetadze mayeb losing 46 57, but Daniela lost to Chak, so we'll never know. but if Daniela had won in the 2nd round I think that the confidence would have rubbed off against Azarenka and it would have been a close one.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 21:47 

Local Time:
Well yes, thats true, she might have carried some confidence over to the third round. But had she met Azarenka in round 2 instead of Chakvetadze then I think it would have been a terrible experience for all concerned...

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 22:38 

Local Time:
Well it was terrible overall anyway lol...

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 22:46 

Local Time:
Well it was terrible overall anyway lol...

Yes I guess it was...

Site Admin
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 23:15 

Local Time:
So many delightful upsets today, especially Safina and Zvonareva. Even the worst player in the top 20 Zheng won, schooling Alize Cornet in some fashion. :D

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 23:31 

Local Time:
So many delightful upsets today, especially Safina and Zvonareva. Even the worst player in the top 20 Zheng won, schooling Alize Cornet in some fashion. :D

Someone else who considers Zheng to be the worst player in the top-twenty!
She's certianly better than Kanepi in my oppinion, and Medina-Garrigues (who was in the top-twenty a couple of weeks ago). And Going on the past twelve months Zheng is a better player than Schnyder too.
The Chinese players seem to be consistently under-rated for no other reason than that they are Chinese.
Who beat Vera Zvonareva?... Li Na.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. March 2009 23:49 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 08:50

Someone else who considers Zheng to be the worst player in the top-twenty!
She's certianly better than Kanepi in my oppinion, and Medina-Garrigues (who was in the top-twenty a couple of weeks ago). And Going on the past twelve months Zheng is a better player than Schnyder too.
The Chinese players seem to be consistently under-rated for no other reason than that they are Chinese.
Who beat Vera Zvonareva?... Li Na.

I can't speak for Martin, but the reason I say Zheng is the worst player in the top twenty (which of course means she is still very good) is twofold:
1) A disproportionately high % of her points come from Grand Slams. For this reason, I'd say Carla Suarez is the most over- ranked player in the top 100. In recent past, players like Peer and Vaidisova have gotten artificial rankings boosts like this and we saw what happened to them.
2) She had a huge improvement in performance at an age where we don't expect to see huge improvements.
3) It has absolutely nothing to do with her ethnicity. I think Na Li is underrated because the rankings do a poor job of adjusting for players with injuries (that is, they do nothing at all to account for that).

That being said, you certainly could argue Schnyder because her age suggests she is due to slip. You have to give her credit for aging better than most, though? How many players were as good at 29 as they were at 24?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 142 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next