Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Author Enter your Message here

Site Admin
 Post subject: Re: 17e Open GDF-SUEZ, Paris
PostPosted: 15. February 2009 23:58 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 12:17
Huh?Either you've got extremely high standards martin or you're not remembering these tournaments properly. Granted I didn't see any of Stuttgart( I was on holiday) and she might have served utter rubbish there,but at Luxembourg she made Bartoli look like a complete numpty with her serve(10 aces,no double faults) and served excellently at Linz-made Dulko's like a misery with her kick serve,got out of jail against Bondarenko with her serve when her groundstrokes went haywire,served very solidly in the last two sets against Vaidisova(saved a MP with an excellent first serve) and served well against Schnyder in the final,winning the crucial game in the second set with an ace out wide.Daniela played against Safarova in Stuttgart so her serve wasn't properly tested. Just like against Schnyder, Dulko, Bondarenko or Vaidisova. The first trio doesn't have a return they can hurt you with that much. Vaidisova's return is a joke due to her pisspoor footwork and long racket swings. The only player with really good return skills amongst those you mention is Bartoli. Not taking anything from Daniela but Bartoli looked exhausted in that match, she was sweating more than usually, her reactions and feet were slow, which affected everything including her return. Bartoli's previous long match against Chakvetadze took its toil on her. Daniela's serve was slower overall and placement wasn't that great either. Imo the placement was much better in 2005, especially during US hardcourt season when Daniela was hitting lines almost at will, even some tennis reporters noticed that according to their articles in tennis magazines (I remember Matthew Cronin mentioned it).

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2009 11:25 

Local Time:
It's a bit unfair to downgrade Daniela's serve just because she wasn't playing top-notch returners-they can't all be a Dementieva or Jankovic! Besides Schnyder is a brilliant albeit inconsistent player,and I've seen Vaidisova pick apart Mauresmo's serve on more than one occasion. There are no excuses for Bartoli,Daniela's match against Schnyder was just as long and draining.

As far as 2005 goes,the hardcourt success was mitigated by terrible clay and grass court results. And she really stunk up the joint in the LA final against Kim,whereas in 2007 she produced two excellent finals performances.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 16. February 2009 16:10 

Local Time:
I don't have much more to say safe that I enjoy these pit fights with you. :)
Do you play tennis actively?

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2009 17:37 

Local Time:
I used to play-I was a lefty with a serve that might charitably be described as "popgun". Unfortunately I'm disabled now,so I'm confined to watching the game on TV and computer.

Looking back,I was too hard on Daniela. I just want her to do well so badly!

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 24. February 2009 19:39 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 13:17
I'm also disabled, so I know how depressing it is not to be able to play tennis any more. It is a very hard sport, I know from my short experience, so I wouldn't be hard on Daniela.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12