Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Enter your Message here

hellene fan
 Post subject: Re: Medibank International, Sydney
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 11:50 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 09:31
^thanks for the info,really good news

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 11:59 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 08:31
Ken Rosewall Arena Schedule

11:00 am start
[6] Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) v Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
[1] Serena Williams v Sara Errani (ITA)
Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) v Julien Benneteau (FRA)
Chris Guccione (AUS) v [6] Tomas Berdych (CZE)
Dmitry Tursunov (RUS) v Richard Gasquet (FRA)

I hope that bet365.com will show the match. As far as I know they do.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 13:08 

Local Time:
btw. one aussie guy in the CP wrote that Eduardo Nicolas was there with Daniela and Portas during one of her practice sessions. Apparently she still works with him.

I'm glad to hear this I must admit

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 13:55 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 18:31
Ok, I posted the videos up in the Videos 2009 forum/thread, so hopefully those work. Pictures to follow, and i'll edit this post when I finish uploading them. (EDIT: 1R pictures are up in the Pictures thread; too tired to upload training pics, so i'll do it another day)

Practice Session
I went to her practice session first and she was really hitting the ball nice and clean and hard. I only got to see the last 20-30mins of her practice and from what I saw, all was good. I didn't see Eduardo Nicolas, so either he was hiding in the shade, or he left before I arrived. It was basically her and Portas hitting up. From my time there, Portas was telling her to add more spin to her forehand, and to straighten her arm during her serving.
I haven't noticed anything different in her service motion, and I've posted the vids up, so maybe someone with a keen eye can have a look and comment. Anyway, she was really working hard, and I hope it all pays off for her.

Oh, and I got to snag her autograph as well! YAY! :D

Match Report
Alright, so I went to watch the whole match, and Daniela is playing solid tennis. During the first two games when she was down 0-2, the majority of those points were due to Daniela's errors. There were a few long rallies in those points and Daniela would just spray the ball long. It wasn't really hitting the net, more just going over the baseline.

From then on, she tightened her game. There were the occasional loose groundstroke, but she was more consistent and really assertive. Both girls were hitting the ball hard and flat, but Daniela was hitting the ball cleanly and a bit harder. She was able to get the first strike in most points and dominate it. What really impressed me was Daniela's defence, cos Zakapalova was getting quite a lot of balls back and hitting hard in the first set, and Daniela managed to get the ball back in court and find the right ball to strike.
Daniela was aggressive on return, moved reasonably well, and was really fighting for it. I got a bit nervous during the first set when she was leading 5-2, and then 5-3, and I didn't want another match where the other player catches up, so I was glad she closed out that first set. The first set was tighter than the scoreline suggests, as I'm sure most of those games went to deuce.

Second set was more of the same, but not as tight. Daniela was really playing well, aggressive, getting the first strike, and Zakapalova was hitting more errors. I think the heat got to Zakapalova, and worked in Daniela's favor, cos Zakapalova was netting some balls and pulling the trigger too early in some points.

Overall, it was a clean performance from Daniela. It certainly isn't her best, but it was good and definitely morale boosting. If she can be even more consistent and patient in points, I'm sure she'll do well again. I know the videos I posted don't really do justice to what I've written, but I only filmed a few points and was unlucky in not filming her better points.

Btw, is Zakapalova more of a hard-hitter or a counter-puncher? I ask because there were a quite a few points when they were trading groundstrokes and hitting at near same pace (Daniela's slightly faster). If Zakapalova is a counter puncher, it would be a bit worrying as Daniela would get blown off the court by someone who hits harder, ala Safina, and therefore she may not get a lot of balls back in court like she did today??

Last edited by bahriahn on 12. January 2009 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 13:56 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 18:31
wow! that was a long post! sorry :oops:

hellene fan
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 14:45 

Local Time:
Very illuminating report
good news,many thanks bahriahn

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 15:30 

Local Time:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 16:11 

Local Time:
A good win for Daniela which should give her a boost in confidence. She's matched her performance from last year and if she can do that at the next tournament that would be nice.

Thanks for the report and photos and videos, Bahrain.

I based most of my assessment of Zakopalova on her matches against Clijsters at Luxembourg 05 & Davenport at the 06 US Open when Clijsters & Davenport were doing most of the hitting and Zakopalova was doing most of the retrieving. Not the biggest or most representative sample size, but that was what came to mind. I'd defer to Martin when it comes to the Czech players.

There was never anything in the reports about Portas becoming Daniela's trainer that mentioned her leaving Sanchez Casal. Portas is from Barcelona, like Sanchez Casal, but I didn't see him listed in their coaches roster on the Sanchez Casal website when I last checked it. I'm sure that Portas was with Daniela at the Paris indoor last February and had been with her on and off through 2008 so Portas had been working with Daniela for a while before it was reported he'd become her trainer. Daniela's worked with a few coaches at Sanchez Casal, Nicolas was with her when she won Indian Wells & Linz while Ortega was with her when she got to the Zurich final in 2006 when he was coaching Kuznetsova and she was there as well. If anything, I'd say that Portas has replaced Panichi as Panichi was with Bolelli at Basel, while Portas was with Daniela in Luxembourg and Panichi had been working a lot with Bolelli towards the end of 2008, but I couldn't say anything definite about that.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 17:13 

Local Time:
it would be a bit worrying as Daniela would get blown off the court by someone who hits harder, ala Safina, and therefore she may not get a lot of balls back in court like she did today??
Actually that's the main reason why Daniela's H2H record against power-baseliners is so dismal.
Great report. ;)
There was never anything in the reports about Portas becoming Daniela's trainer that mentioned her leaving Sanchez Casal.
It was in one interview in slovak newspaper, Daniela was cited that she was no longer with the academy.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 17:31 

Local Time:
There was never anything in the reports about Portas becoming Daniela's trainer that mentioned her leaving Sanchez Casal.
It was in one interview in slovak newspaper, Daniela was cited that she was no longer with the academy.

You'd think she'd have said something about it on her website.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 17:33 

Local Time:
Btw, is Zakapalova more of a hard-hitter or a counter-puncher? I ask because there were a quite a few points when they were trading groundstrokes and hitting at near same pace (Daniela's slightly faster). If Zakapalova is a counter puncher, it would be a bit worrying as Daniela would get blown off the court by someone who hits harder, ala Safina, and therefore she may not get a lot of balls back in court like she did today??

Well, i think Zakopalova is not a counter-puncher. Against Davenport nearly everyone who's ranked 30- seems to be a counter-puncher. I saw her Match against Danka in Linz 05 (...phew) and her SF in Prague 08 vs Azarenka. Her Forehand is strong and she made some good strokes. Her backhand is weak, however. I'm actually quite surprised to hear that she had some rallies with Danka, because in her SF vs Azarenka, she was a Winner-Loser Machine like Kateryna Bondarenko and never rallied with her. But maybe that was her game plan, waiting for UE's from Danka.

As for the Match up vs Radwanska, i definitely think Danka has chances. She played very well in their last meeting and i think that's a confidence boost for Danka. But i still think Aga will win because she's very consistent, her strokes were getting stronger and she's mentally very strong for her age. She knows how to beat good players when they aren't at their best. If Danka is really focused and bringing her A-Game, she will rush over the pole.

*Nicole Vaidisova*Agnes Szavay*Tatiana Golovin*

*Daniela Hantuchova*Agnieszka Radwanska*Dinara Safina*
Alona Bondarenko*Iveta Benesova*Aleksandra Wozniak*
Elena Dementieva*Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova*Stefanie Vögele*

<3

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 19:26 

Local Time:
Well that is a result again, that I would like to see more often this year.
A clear win in straight sets, without many difficulties.

Now against Radwanska. I think the chances are not too bad for Daniela to win this match. If she can play consistently everything will be possible.

Thanks for the great report btw.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 19:30 

Local Time:
Results Singles - First Round

(2) Dinara Safina (RUS) d. Sorana Cirstea (ROU) 6:2 6:1
(3) Elena Dementieva (RUS) d. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) 7:5 6:1
Alizé Cornet (FRA) d. (7) Nadia Petrova (RUS) 6:2 6:4
(8) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 6:1 6:2
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. (Q) Klara Zakopalova (CZE) 6:3 6:0
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) d. (LL) Anastasiya Yakimova (BLR) 6:1 3:6 6:3
Kaia Kanepi (EST) d. (Q) Angelique Kerber (GER) 6:1 7:5
Ai Sugiyama (JPN) d. (LL) Jill Craybas (USA) 6:2 6:3
Alisa Kleybanova (RUS) d. Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 6:2 6:2
Sara Errani (ITA) d. Casey Dellacqua (AUS) 6:1 6:2
(Q) Vera Dushevina (RUS) d. (WC) Emelyn Starr (AUS) 6:0 6:1
(Q) Melanie South (GBR) d. Marion Bartoli (FRA) 1:1 ret. (left calf strain)
(WC) Jarmila Gajdosova (SVK) d. (LL) Karin Knapp (ITA) 6:4 6:2

Bad loss for Cibulkova against Wozniacki. I thought she would have good chances to win after the Hopman Cup. Maybe she was a bit tired.
Also Errani is in good form again.

Rafael N A D A L

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 12. January 2009 19:37 

Local Time:
(1)Serena Williams v Sara Errani
(Q)Melanie South v (8)Caroline Wozniacki

(3)Elena Dementieva v Jarmila Gajdosova
Daniela Hantuchova v (6)Agnieszka Radwanska

(5)Svetlana Kuznetsova v Kaia Kanepi
Ai Sugiyama v Anabel Medina Garrigues

Alize Cornet v Alisa Kleybanova
(Q)Vera Dushevina v (2)Dinara Safina

Rafael N A D A L

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 13. January 2009 01:09 

Local Time:
Danka vs. Agnieszka.Radwanska
on sb..
15:0 .. 15:15 .. 15:30 .. 30:30 .. BP .. 1-0* :)
0:15 .. 0:30 .. BP hold! .. *1-1 :(
0:15 .. 0:30 .. BP (DF) .. 2-1* :)
0:15 .. 0:30 .. 15:30 .. 30:30 .. GP .. *3-1
15:0 .. 15:15 .. 30:15 .. GP .. 40:30 .. DEUCE .. BP .. DEUCE .. GP .. 3-2*
0:15 .. 15:15 .. 30:15 .. 30:30 .. BP .. *3-3 :(
15:0 .. 30:0 .. GP .. 3-4*
0:15 .. 0:30 .. BP .. 15:40 .. *3-5 :(
15:0 .. 15:15 .. 30:15 .. SP .. 3-6*
Agnieszka wins first set, 6-3 :(
15:0 .. 30:0 .. 30:15 .. GP .. *1-0
15:0 .. 30:0 .. GP .. 40:15 .. 1-1*
15:0 .. 15:15 .. 30:15 .. 30:30 .. GP .. *2-1
15:0 .. 30:0 .. 30:15 .. GP .. 2-2*
0:15 .. 0:30 .. BP save it! .. *2-3 :(
15:0 .. 15:15 .. 15:30 .. BP podme! .. 3-3* :)
15:0 .. 30:0 (Ace) .. 30:15 .. GP .. 40:30 (DF) .. *4-3
15:0 .. 30:0 .. GP (Ace) .. 40:15 .. 40:30 .. DEUCE .. BP .. DEUCE .. ,, GP .. 4-4*
(sb froze) ... *4-5 :(
15:0 .. 30:0 .. GP .. *5-5
15:0 .... 30:30 .. BP .. *5-6
15:0 .. 30:0 .. MP .. 40:15 .. 5-7*
Agnieszka wins, 6-3, 7-5 :(

Last edited by nl2304 on 13. January 2009 02:39, edited 19 times in total.

Profile WWW

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next