Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: Brisbane International, Brisbane
PostPosted: 30. December 2008 00:13 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 14:23
As Scott said above, first tournaments are difficult to predict and this one looks particularly wide-open. There really isn't much of a spread between the number two and thirteen players on the draw sheet. Realistically, for Daniela or anyone else in that group, anywhere from a first round exit to reaching the weekend is very plausible.

I'd really like to see Daniela exact some revenge on Mrs. Squeaky Verdasco, err Ivanovic. Here's hoping.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 1. January 2009 15:00 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 21:23
So Dokic got a WC, maybe a real match between her and Daniela this time?

Site Admin
PostPosted: 1. January 2009 15:06 

Local Time:
So Dokic got a WC, maybe a real match between her and Daniela this time?

:lol:

well the advantage of playing an aussie is a bigger chance of being on TV in Australia. In previous years Australia's coverage of this tournament has been better than ES.

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 3. January 2009 05:37 

Local Time:
|14. May 2024| 06:23
The Draw's out, and its not looking too bad:

(1)Ana Ivanovic v Petra Kvitova
Q v Ai Sugiyama
Q v Yanina Wickmayer
(wc)Jelena Dokic v (5)Amelie Mauresmo

(3)Marion Bartoli v (wc)Monika Wejnert
Q v Alona Bondarenko
Tathiana Garbin v Sofia Arvidsson
Alisa Kleybanova v (6)Kaia Kanepi

(8)Francesca Schiavone v Olga Govortsova
Iveta Benesova v Q
Tsvetana Pironkova v Monica Niculescu
Sara Errani v (4)Daniela Hantuchova

(7)Maria Kirilenko v Samantha Stosur
(wc)Isabella Holland v Lucie Safarova
Shuai Peng v Jarmila Gajdosova
Kateryna Bondarenko v (2)Victoria Azarenka

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 3. January 2009 05:42 

Local Time:
and the doubles draw for good measure:

(1) BLACK, Cara ZIM, HUBER, Liezel USA vs BREMOND, Severine FRA, GOVORTSOVA, Olga BLR
FERGUSON, Sophie AUS, WEJNERT, Monika AUS vs HANTUCHOVA, Daniela SVK, SUGIYAMA, Ai JPN

(4) AZARENKA, Victoria BLR, SCHIAVONE, Francesca ITA vs POUTCHEK, Tatiana BLR, RODIONOVA, Anastasia RUS
JANS, Klaudia POL, ROSOLSKA, Alicja POL vs SAFAROVA, Lucie CZE, VOSKOBOEVA, Galina KAZ

JUGIC-SALKIC, Mervana BIH, PENG, Shuai CHN vs AMANMURADOVA, Akgul UZB, FEDAK, Yuliana UKR
BENESOVA, Iveta CZE, SHVEDOVA, Yaroslava KAZ vs SUN, Tiantian CHN, YAN, Zi CHN (3)

GROENEFELD, Anna-Lena GER, KING, Vania USA vs ERRANI, Sara ITA, KIRILENKO, Maria RUS
KLEYBANOVA, Alisa RUS, NICULESCU, Monica ROU vs BONDARENKO, Alona UKR, BONDARENKO, Kateryna UKR (2)

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 3. January 2009 05:52 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 14:23
On the whole, it's a fairly good draw. Schiavone was definitely the weakest of the 5-8 seeds and she's in the weaker half of the draw. The downside is that Errani is one of the better unseeded players (fifth highest ranked among unseeded). Daniela defeated her in her comeback match at Wimbledon, which was one of the few highlights of the second half of the year.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 3. January 2009 10:13 

Local Time:
from a thread in GM: ()

Hantuchova & Sugiyama training together, both looked fit and ready to go for season 2009

picture of Daniela in post 24, it's somebody elses picture.

Profile WWW

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 3. January 2009 12:03 

Local Time:
I'm quite happy with this draw. First two rounds shouldn't be a real problem I think.

Hopefully a good start into the new season. Would be really important to get a good result at the beginning of the year to get some confidence for the AO.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 3. January 2009 12:10 

Local Time:
I personally think it's a fantastic draw in singles for Daniela! Hope for at least two wins.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 3. January 2009 17:51 

Local Time:
really important daniela going after here and sydney in ao with high confidence

happy new year and my best wishes to everyone and daniela for a successfull 2009

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 3. January 2009 18:22 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 20:23
This is a great first tournament draw for Daniela, and I'm sure she will be expecting to go quite far.
Daniela has good memories from Australia 2008 and I think this will inspire her, particularly since the first few matches of the season can be tough in terms of finding match rhythm.
I'm not expecting much from Errani in the opening round, but the second round match could be tough for Daniela (potentially three sets). If Daniela is in her good form and fresh (which she should be since its the first tournament of the season) then there is no reason why she cannot reach the quarter-final stage or better. I would have prefered Kanepi or Kirilenko in the quarter-final match, but at least its not Mauresmo (who is at that stage where she could bring anything to the court on any given day).
Optimistically looking towards the latter stages of the tournament, Daniela is in Azarenka's half as appose to Ivanovic's, which is good, and furthermore, Azarenka's quarter is fairly competitive so it is not certain that she will reach the semi-final stage.
In terms of doubles competition I am not sure whether it is good for Daniela to be back with Sugiyama. Although her net game will improve, she will have to give some of her time to doubles practice and having a set partner may dictate to some extent what tournaments she plays, as i'm sure Ai will be playing alot of the International events as appose to the Premier events (depending on her ranking throughout the year). However, with this week in mind, a first round win over the Australian wildcard pairing seems very likely, and this will for sure give Daniela confidence going into her singles matches.
Hopefully a good week ahead for Daniela...

Site Admin
PostPosted: 3. January 2009 19:13 

Local Time:
I like that she is back with Ai. Ai is a fun person. And such a person is always good to have around. In addition, I've read somewhere that Ai wants to focus on singles as well this year (don't know why), so as far as I have undestood, they play what they believe is good for their singles career and if some tournaments happen to be on both schedules, they'll team up.

I don't understand why you would prefer Kirilenko to Schiavone. Kirilenko is for some reason tricky for Danka. They always have close matches, and lately, Makiri seems to be winning.

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 3. January 2009 19:47 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 20:23
I don't understand why you would prefer Kirilenko to Schiavone. Kirilenko is for some reason tricky for Danka. They always have close matches, and lately, Makiri seems to be winning.

I just think that if Daniela is at or near to her best then she will nearly always beat Kirilenko (no matter how well Maria plays), whereas she could play well against Schiavone, but if the Italian plays well too, then I think Daniela has more of a chance of losing than against Kirilenko. Schiavone can have very good days, e.g. beating Henin in Dubai last year (all be it, Henin wasn't at her very best, but even a below-par Henin is as good as Daniela).

banned
PostPosted: 4. January 2009 08:57 

Local Time:
Daniela's first tournament of the year and a chance to gain confidence and points before the Australian Open. Daniela can beat anyone there but there are enough players there that can give her problems, so this will be a good guide to her form and confidence. Hopefully, she gets a decent draw and goes to Sydney and Melbourne with momentum and some good wins.

Precisely what sort of confidence can be gained by a 25 yo player in a split field international? Is she (a player described as a 'veteran') so unstable there is fear she may colapse quicker than you can say 'wobble'? Points may be of use. Not "getting out" may help. The utilization of the off-season may could be a revelation. After all, the presence on a court is what makes a "tennis player".

This is entirely IMO, OK? This is not her first time around. If you had actually watched the matches of the post-Wimbledon season, you would notice that she hits balls out deliberately. While this is not a violation of the rules, it sure is a shoddy tactic. In fact deliberately loosing should be a glaring signal that her tennis-game is not what shakes the confidence, or anything else for that matter -- what is confi going to buy you anyhow? (other than another ego trip -- first/second season was better than the last -- lovely friends BTW) Maybe she'll play on acting like it doesn't bother her now. Well good for her.

SO, I respectfully disagree with your analysis. You might choose to reevaluate prior matches. If you can offer me any explanation, I am interested. For I myself do not understand what I see. Perhaps my eyes deceive me, perhaps my brain or even mine own arrogance. Maybe I'm just the stupidest person of the lot. I do remember that I was objectionable to this but there are a number of people with contrarian advice. So now what? Think it'll work?

Put it all together and I see heart-strings being pulled in every direction (let go AH, nice friends). Here is a really good chance to stop feeling guilty about anything but time. Lovely practice I hear though, excellent forethought. After Luxemberg I had thought I'd seen the last of this. New day rising. hmm.

The straight game was working. Everything was fine. She was almost there. Why she would go and make the thing crooked, I don't know. Until she fixes it, nothing will be done. I don't see crown-queen-crooked-head going anywhere fast.

Last edited by today on 4. January 2009 10:47, edited 2 times in total.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 4. January 2009 10:41 

Local Time:
Schedule of Play is out for Monday 5 January 2009

Show Court 1: Starting at 10:30 am
ATP: Gabasvili vs Groth
ATP:Zverev vs Sirianni
WTA: Errani vs Hantuchova
WTA: Holland vs Safarova

Pity she's not on center court. Probably means we wont get to watch her match, and will have to follow the live scoreboard. BOO!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next