Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Site Admin
 Post subject: 2009 WTA Calendar
PostPosted: 26. April 2008 22:41 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 16:37
spiceboy posted this as the 2009 calendar in General messages on wtaworld, personally I think it is a very bad calendar, and I don't think it is good for Daniela, what do you think of the calendar as in regards to Daniela?

Jan 05 - Brisbane (no Top-10 players)
-------- Auckland (no Top-10 players)

Jan 12 - Sydney (no restrictions on the number of Top-10 players)
-------- Hobart (no Top-10 players)

Jan 19 - AUSTRALIAN OPEN

Feb 02 - Fed Cup I

Feb 09 - Paris Indoors (one Top-6 and two Top-13 players OR two Top-6 players)
--------- Pattaya City (no Top-10 players)
--------- Viña del Mar (no top-10 players)

Feb 16 - Dubai (seven Top-10 players)
--------- Memphis (no Top-10 players)
--------- Bogotá (no Top-10 players)

Feb 23 - Bangalore (no top-10 players)
--------- Acapulco (no Top-10 players)

Mar 02 - Antwerp (no Top-10 players)
--------- TBC (no Top-10 players)

Mar 09 - Indian Wells (MANDATORY)

Mar 23 - Miami (MANDATORY)

Apr 06 - Amelia Island (no Top-10 players)

Apr 13 - Charleston (one Top-6 and two Top-13 players OR two Top-6 players)
-------- Barcelona (no Top-10 players)

Apr 20 - Fed Cup II

Apr 27 - Stuttgart (one Top-6 and two Top-13 players OR two Top-6 players)
-------- Fes (no Top-10 players)

May 04 - Rome (seven Top-10 players)
--------- Estoril (no Top-10 players)

May 11 - Madrid (MANDATORY)

May 18 - Berlin (no restrictions on the number of Top-10 players)
--------- Strasbourg (no Top-10 players)

May 25 - ROLAND GARROS

Jun 08 - Birmingham (no Top-10 players)

Jun 15 - Eastbourne (no restrictions on the number of Top-10 players)
-------- s'Hertogenbosch (no Top-10 players)

Jun 22 - WIMBLEDON

Jul 06 - Budapest (no Top-10 players)
-------- Stockholm (no Top-10 players)

Jul 13 - Prague (no Top-10 players)
-------- Palermo (no Top-10 players)

Jul 20 - Portoroz (no Top-10 players)
-------- Warsaw (no Top-10 players)

Jul 27 - Stanford (one Top-6 and two Top-13 players OR two Top-6 players)
-------- Istanbul (no Top-10 players)

Aug 03 - Los Angeles (one Top-6 and two Top-13 players OR two Top-6 players)

Aug 10 - Cincinatti (seven Top-10 players)

Aug 17 - Toronto (seven Top-10 players)

Aug 24 - New Haven (no restrictions on the number of Top-10 players)

Aug 31 - US OPEN

Sep 14 - Guangzhou (no Top-10 players)
--------- Quebec City (no Top-10 players)
--------- Tashkent (no Top-10 players)

Sep 21 - Seoul (no Top-10 players)
--------- Kolkata (no Top-10 players)

Sep 28 - Tokyo Indoors (one Top-6 and two Top-13 players OR two Top-6 players)

Oct 05 - Beijing (MANDATORY)

Oct 12 - Linz (no Top-10 players)
-------- Japan Open (TBC) (no Top-10 players)
-------- Singapore (no Top-10 players)

Oct 19 - Moscow (seven Top-10 players)
-------- Luxembourg (no Top-10 players)

Oct 26 - WTA Tour Sony Ericsson Championships - Doha

Nov 02 - Fed Cup Final
--------- Commonwealth Bank Tournament of Champions - Bali***

***Best seven performers in the international level tournaments (who have not otherwise qualified for the Sony Ericsson Championships), along with one wildcard will participate in a Round Robin format.

Profile WWW

Site Admin
 Post subject: Re: 2009 WTA Calendar
PostPosted: 26. April 2008 22:43 

Local Time:
at first glance I hated it. Too many weeks and tournaments with "no top10 player allowed". And 4 weeks of clay AFTER wimbledon. I am still very displeased with both of these things. I know that they want to prevent injuries and have the top ready for the mandatory events but I think they forgot that the players are professionals and that they know what they are doing and how much their bodies are capable of. I would say if a player never is injured, let her play 25 tournaments a year, it's good for the tournaments and the fans.

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 27. April 2008 22:13 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 15:37
Yea i agree. It is the top10 palyers we are wanting to see after all. Well mostly. I cant see this format lasting IMO

Stay Safe all from Mathius

Profile WWWYIM

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 28. April 2008 23:26 

Local Time:
Yea i agree. It is the top10 palyers we are wanting to see after all. Well mostly. I cant see this format lasting IMO

Couldn't agree more... it seems like they want to divide the pro tour in two circuits: a main circuit (top players, less tournaments, more points) and a secondary circuit (many small tournaments)...

I don't know if it is a good idea, but I think that limiting the number of top10 players of an event is a bit too much... the current GS/Tier I/Tier II etc division is enough.

°•.•°o.O ⓓⓐⓝⓘⓔⓛⓐ ⓗⓐⓝⓣⓤ©ⓗⓞⓥⓐ .•° °•. ⓙⓤⓢⓣⓘⓝⓔ ⓗⓔⓝⓘⓝ O.o°•.•°
°•. ⓕⓔⓓⓔⓡⓔⓡ ⓜⓤⓡⓡⓐⓨ ©ⓘⓑⓤⓛⓚⓞⓥⓐ ⓢ©ⓗⓘⓐⓥⓞⓝⓔ ⓖⓐⓤⓓⓘⓞ ⓙⓞⓗⓐⓝⓢⓢⓞⓝ .•°

"I have a weak spot for Italians for whatever reason" - Daniela
"Oh really? I have a weak spot for top 50, Slovakian tennis players" - Albi

Profile WWW

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 28. April 2008 23:38 

Local Time:

Couldn't agree more... it seems like they want to divide the pro tour in two circuits: a main circuit (top players, less tournaments, more points) and a secondary circuit (many small tournaments)...

I don't know if it is a good idea, but I think that limiting the number of top10 players of an event is a bit too much... the current GS/Tier I/Tier II etc division is enough.
A top player is supposed to play major events.. but other events are still a good way to earn a few points, for example:
a top player schedules to play a Tier I event because she has pts to defend there, but loses it the 1st round - then (I think) she should be allowed to play the next tournament, without having to wait two or three weeks.

But it's just my opinion.

OH look!! :o After Wimbledon, top 10 players can go on a long holiday! they'll have to wait ages before they can enter a tournament.

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 30. April 2008 22:39 

Local Time:
This is a poor calendar if it stays like this for next year. Am i right in thinking that if only 2 top six players are allowed then the tournament has the right to pick the best two (in other words, a player could get consistently turned down from tournaments?)

Site Admin
PostPosted: 1. May 2008 09:10 

Local Time:
there is a major discussion about this on tennisforum.com (old wtaworld) and some people interpret it as the fans being garanteed a certain amount of top players will others say the numbers are restriction.
The way I read it is restriction unfortunately. Though I would have preferred it being garantees.

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 1. May 2008 23:45 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 09:37
I just everything would just stay the same! why would they want to change a system that is working fine?? why mess with something good!

Site Admin
PostPosted: 2. May 2008 08:23 

Local Time:
I just everything would just stay the same! why would they want to change a system that is working fine?? why mess with something good!

the current format is not working fine. The players are complaining about tiredness, injuries etc. I am all for the season ending a week or two earlier, but I think they are killing some of the tournaments.

BUT
Statements from Maria's official site:

As many of you know, the WTA tour makes many players enter tournaments that they know the players will not be playing. I informed the WTA several months ago that if I played Charleston, I would have to pull out of Berlin. Now they are forcing me to give an injury for the reason why I am pulling out or they will give me an additional fine on top of the 125,000 fine already given to me. I am a very giving person, but I refuse to give anymore of my money to the WTA tour. So I want everyone to know that besides getting sick the past few days, I am healthy and I am looking forward to playing Rome. The good news is that the new road map for next year should solve all these problems.

I want all my fans to know that the WTA Tour is forcing me and several of the other top players to do a 4 hour commercial shoot for WTA Tour marketing materials. They want me to do this shoot on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday of the Rome tournament after flying 12 hours from LA. I have set my own personal rules when it comes to doing shoots and I never do shoots before tournaments because they are mentally draining and I want to just focus on my tennis. Now the WTA is telling me if I don't do this shoot they will fine me over $300,000. As you can see the WTA Tour loves to fine players. To be honest, I would love to do this and help promote the tour as much as possible, but to force me to do this shoot the day before a tier 1 tournament is just not right. I am interested in what my fans think I should do?

1. Maria's take on the 2009 road map is very different from most fans'. Maybe we all should wait and see what it is like instead of judging it beforehand.
2. I cannot believe the WTA, making players enter more tournaments. All this time, I thought that if a player complained about playing too much, if was her own fault. Stupid WTA.
3. And forcing the players to do a shoot in LA. That is so low. I can't believe that these things go own behind the scenes.

Profile WWW

hellene fan
PostPosted: 2. May 2008 14:10 

Local Time:
This is a poor calendar if it stays like this for next year. Am i right in thinking that if only 2 top six players are allowed then the tournament has the right to pick the best two (in other words, a player could get consistently turned down from tournaments?)

dont think,you are right
christina all about marketing

Site Admin
PostPosted: 2. May 2008 14:12 

Local Time:

true, but scary.

Profile WWW

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 2. May 2008 21:09 

Local Time:

true, but scary.

Danielitsa hit the true point: the WTA is promoting itself, it isn't promoting tennis. Fashion Shows, Parties, Photoshoots.....
Q: who cares about that stuff??
A: the sponsors.
Q: yes but the purpose of the WTA is to allow professionals to work in the best conditions, isn't it?
A: no sponsors, no WTA tour. Full stop.

From my point of view there is a risk: we are approaching the point where sport becomes entertainment and everything is made with the purpose to kill the sport (and those who commit their life to it) and make it more enjoyable to the audience.

If you don't believe me, just think about Formula One: every year they add new stupid rules to make results more unpredictable and to keep the interest. "If the winner is always the same, a sport becomes boring" is what they think

Sorry for them, but from my point of view a sport isn't a show - if someone is better than someone other, he wis. 99 times out of 100. And this is NOT boring, because it's sport, and in my whole life I have never seen a sport and thought it was boring

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 2. May 2008 21:19 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 09:37
wow! i take back my comment from before. i didnt know all this was going on behind the scenes!! I totaly agree with everyone with saying the wta is not looking out for the players, but for publicity. this is rediculous and out of control. it starts with little things and then grows>> player partys and then manditory photo shoots.
maybe it is good daniela is not in Rome, that way she wouldnt be forced to participate in the shoot (even tho we dont know if she would be told to)and take away from her tennis preperation.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 2. May 2008 22:20 

Local Time:

true, but scary.

Danielitsa hit the true point: the WTA is promoting itself, it isn't promoting tennis. Fashion Shows, Parties, Photoshoots.....
Q: who cares about that stuff??
A: the sponsors.
Q: yes but the purpose of the WTA is to allow professionals to work in the best conditions, isn't it?
A: no sponsors, no WTA tour. Full stop.

From my point of view there is a risk: we are approaching the point where sport becomes entertainment and everything is made with the purpose to kill the sport (and those who commit their life to it) and make it more enjoyable to the audience.

If you don't believe me, just think about Formula One: every year they add new stupid rules to make results more unpredictable and to keep the interest. "If the winner is always the same, a sport becomes boring" is what they think

Sorry for them, but from my point of view a sport isn't a show - if someone is better than someone other, he wis. 99 times out of 100. And this is NOT boring, because it's sport, and in my whole life I have never seen a sport and thought it was boring

Those are both very good points and the thought of it kinda scares me. Now that i think of it, i realise it now. lol Tennis dosn't need anything to make it more unpredictable. All you need to do is look at the WTA and a bit of the ATP. So there wont be any reason to change anything. Im a bit unshure about the on court coaching and the hawk eye. Its seems like the officials seem a bit more cared about the fans than the players. TBH i would just like to sit and watch the players just play instead of the time consuming nonsence. It spoils the momentum and excitment of the match IMO!

Stay Safe all from Mathius

Profile WWWYIM

Site Admin
PostPosted: 3. May 2008 19:12 

Local Time:
Still plenty of time to reconsider and implement some changes. And it's not like these days there are no restrictions about how many top 10 players can play certain tournaments. People just don't talk about it as much.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next