HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANIELA        Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Enter your Message here

Tier I Title Holder
 Post subject: Re: Porsche Tennis Grand Prix, Stuttgart
PostPosted: 2. October 2008 13:26 

Local Time:
|26. April 2024| 23:51
well. as much as daniela didn't capitalise on her game points, at least she didn't suffer the same fate as bartoli.
zvonareva looks to be on fire. she thrashed bartoli 6-2, 6-0.

daniela performed wayyy better than bartoli, so its not like she's completely out of form. she was just unfortunate enough to draw zvonareva in the first round. the sad thing is that whilst she performed better than bartoli, the draw was unkind and she got no ranking points; yet bartoli got 40 for her second round beating.

it really is this damn draw! a good draw can do wonders, for both confidence and points. hopefully she gets a GREAT one for moscow.

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 2. October 2008 13:33 

Local Time:
|26. April 2024| 14:51
...so its not like she's completely out of form...

I don't think she is out of form either, but the problem is she is weak mentally. Whenever she couldn't take the chance, it took her too much time to get back into the match. That was what exactly happened lately. She just couldn't forget the bad situation right away and concerntrate on the next point. That is what she should be training on right now, apart from building up her game tactics.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 2. October 2008 15:44 

Local Time:
|26. April 2024| 13:51
I dont think some of the issues mentioned here about Daniela's game are anything that we didnt already know. She has always been pretty weak mentally only the last couple of years maybe she has improved in that area which showed in her results. It took her a long time to get back to any sort of killer mentality after 2003 and despite her being a lot more experienced I wouldnt expect her to just turn it round in the space of a few months. Hopefully the off season will give her the needed time to reflect and make changes to her game and seek ways of changing her attitude on court but like I said weeks and weeks ago, for me this season is null and void and we should just all be patient, hang in there and look forward to her coming good again, cause despite my skepticism for this year I am confident Daniela will come good again.

I know that there are going to be some people who are going to say that she has had enough time, but does it show in her results? No it hasnt, shes had some promising results in recent weeks but nothing to set the world alight, she would of had enough time when she is back to her best, and until then patience is the key

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

hellene fan
PostPosted: 2. October 2008 17:58 

Local Time:
its not only the mental issue.despite the big percentage in 1st serve
low percentage in 1st serve points won.probably not strong
dont talk about 2nd.against tanasugarn her groundstrokes hadnt enough power i think.
must work on these

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 3. October 2008 05:19 

Local Time:
Normally, the way you hit the ball shows how much confident you are. If you believe in yourself, you are able to hit really hard bc you think it will go in. From the last matches, I still don't see this confidence from Daniela, although sometimes she was but just too short time.
Daniela is not a big hitter but if she believes in herself, she can hit beautifully and effectively. But lately she chose to play safe, not taking too much risk (but still too much UEs). I hardly see the moments when she went for the lines or so. For average opponents, that is ok but against the top players, you have no chance. I think that is one of the reason she lost when the opponents try to go for their shots, take risk and play aggressive.
I remember last year at IW when Lindsay commented at her final. She said every top player will have a weapon, serve, forehand, backhand... I mean, Daniela can hit the ball well, both sides but we can't really say which one is her weapon. I think she should try to improve one thing that can be her weapon, anything is good. That will be more helpful when she face top players.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 3. October 2008 19:58 

Local Time:
I think that there's probably still a bit of a hangover from her loss, and especially the manner of it, in the Australian Open semi-final. Daniela was a late replacement in Paris and received medical treatment against Szavay and in Antwerp she was sick otherwise she'd have beaten Bacszinsky and would have had a very good chance against Justine. That illness caused her to miss Dubai and Doha.
Daniela had a decent run in Indian Wells but she fell away against Shazza and she wasn't fit for Miami and Amelia Island and playing Amelia Island aggravated her stress fracture. Daniela did as well as could be expected at Wimbledon considering she was coming in without any matches or much practice and Kleybanova played well against her. Daniela had bad losses in California but got revenge in her subsequent matches against Ai & Govortsova, although she had a heavy losss to Wozniacki at the Olympics. I think her loss to Cornet at New Haven can be attributed to a lack of matches and confidence as Daniela was playing well but lost her rhythm and focus when Cornet took that long medical timeout. A really confident and focused player would be able to deal with a disruption like that, but Daniela didn't have a base of recent wins and form to draw on so that break affected her and her ability to sustain here level. That was a match Daniela would have won in 2007.
Daniela was a bit unlucky at the US Open as Groenfeld is a much better player than her ranking and used her big serve and groundstrokes to win. Groenfeld went on a good run, beating Cornet and giving Safina a close match for the first set. Bali and Tokyo were disappointing as Daniela played poorly against Paszek and it's a match Daniela should have won and Schiavone is a decent player but not really someone who can beat top players but she beat Daniela 6-1 in the first and Daniela had chances in the second set but couldn't take them.

Daniela had a good run in Beijing, beating Dulko easily, fighting through against Tanasugarn who'd beaten good players this year and she played well, at least in the first set, against Jankovic. Zvonareva was just too good in Stuttgart and she is someone who's game is a difficult match up for Daniela and so it proved. Jankovic won Beijing, was US Open finalist and is going to be ranked 1st next week. Zvonareva won Guangzhou, got to the semi in Beijing and thrashed Bartoli who'd been in decent form. Both are in great form right now.

Right now, I don't expect Daniela to beat a top tenner but I feel that she'd probably beat anyone outside the top twenty. What I'm hoping for for the rest of the year is that Daniela's able to put in some runs for the ranking points and get some good wins to build her confidence and gave her a base to work on in the off season. There are things that Daniela needs to work on, notably her movement, but also her serving. As long as she can have a good offseason to work on her fitness free of injury, that will help her as she can move better and get to more balls and have time to set up her position for a better shot as well as having the confidence to construct points. It'll also mean she can force opponents to work harder to win points against her. A big factor for her success in 2007 was her fitness and her confidence in her fitness and her record in three setters was very good. I think the illness and especially the injury has deprived Daniela of that confidence. Good, hard work in the offseason will help her get that back and set Daniela up for a better 2009.

It's more likely that they'll use the Weissenhoff where the ATP event's been held as that's an outdoor clay venue.

No, it will definately be indoors.

The funny thing is that the Eurosport commentators said about three times at the start of the Venus-Safina match that Stuttgart would be held outdoors, but what do they know?

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 3. October 2008 20:20 

Local Time:
Thanks Chungwit for your post. Jankovic d. Zvonareva 76 76 Jelena hit 10 aces!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 3. October 2008 20:51 

Local Time:
It's more likely that they'll use the Weissenhoff where the ATP event's been held as that's an outdoor clay venue.

No, it will definately be indoors.

The funny thing is that the Eurosport commentators said about three times at the start of the Venus-Safina match that Stuttgart would be held outdoors, but what do they know?

On the SONY ERICSSON WTA TOUR site it says 'indoors'. I tend to agree with them over Europsport commentators. Anyway it really is a trivial point because whether it is indoors or outdoors it doesn't make alot of difference to the players/tournament.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 3. October 2008 21:28 

Local Time:
You were right about the Australian Open.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 3. October 2008 21:36 

Local Time:
You were right about the Australian Open.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 5. October 2008 19:10 

Local Time:
Jelena Jankovic wins another tournament
6-4 6-3 v Nadia Petrova

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7