Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Tier I Title Holder
 Post subject: Re: Pilot Pen Tennis, New Haven
PostPosted: 21. August 2008 20:50 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 08:46

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2008 21:01 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 14:46
Shit, this sucks.

I really thought that Daniela had a great chance when she broke back in the third as she had the momentum and Cornet wasn't 100%, but it wasn't to be. It doesn't help when the umpire makes inexplicable decisions at crucial times. I also think that if Daniela had broken in the 7th game of the second set, then she'd have a great chance to win. Instead, it seemed that Cornet's injury time out affected Daniela more. At the same time, Cornet is a good player and she deserves some credit for winning.

We can take the positive that Daniela beat Govortsova for her first win after losing the first set since January and got to her first quarter-final since Indian Wells, so she got decent points here. This loss is disappointing but I feel that Daniela can take good things from this tournament.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2008 21:16 

Local Time:
will it have consequences if you don't shake the umpire's hand?

very sad for Daniela, i really thought she could win this in two sets.
But let's sta positive, her matches are becoming closer already, she didn't lose in straight sets in her opening match but in three sets in the third round..

What happened to Schnyder after Luxembourg last year?

Wozniacki just gave Bartoli a hammering.

Last edited by chungwit on 21. August 2008 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 21. August 2008 21:18 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 15:46
I don't know what to say. I'm just disappointed.
IMO Daniela lost the match in the second set, and not in the third.

But what about the series?

Daniela won against Sugiyama after losing to her and also against Govortsova.
So the logical result at the US Open: Daniela defeats Cornet ;)

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 21. August 2008 21:21 

Local Time:
will it have consequences if you don't shake the umpire's hand?

What happened to Schnyder after Luxembourg last year?

I don't really think that this is such a big deal. I saw players not shaking the hand of the empire more than once and there wasn't a consequence as far as I know. Maybe a fine, but not more I think.

Rafael N A D A L

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2008 21:27 

Local Time:
I don't remember any consequences for Schnyder, so I don't think Daniela's got anything to worry about. Did she kick one of Cornet's water bottles?

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2008 21:43 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 08:46
I don't remember any consequences for Schnyder, so I don't think Daniela's got anything to worry about. Did she kick one of Cornet's water bottles?

:lol: No, their handshake appeared to be quite friendly.

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 21. August 2008 21:55 

Local Time:
Why hasn't the doubles match begun yet ? Did Daniela and Lindsay withdraw ? :?

She's a much better player than this cornet... and i can't imagine Danka gave all or Cornet played like No.1 she just fooled around in the 2nd. This loss hurts very much, more than Kleybanova, Sugi, Govortsova and Wozniacki... (I can't believe what i writing... she lost to such players...)

shame she was unable to hold serve at 4-5 in both sets... and again versus Cornet at US Open (3rd Round, if she goes that far)

It hurts so much that she loses to such nobodys... what can i say? Struggling Danka, Nicole *not interested in tennis anymore*, Agnes Chokevay, Tatiana Injurin... 2008 is to forget...
Excuse me but... do you know something about tennis ? For me, Cornet was favourite against Daniela. She's making a incredible year. She's already one of the best players in the world, and she's only 18 year old. Thanks to her very good game, I think she can be soon in the top 10 (but she has to do a very good season too in 2009).
I thought Daniela would lose in straights sets, but she won one. So I think Daniela plays better and better.

Fan de Daniela en toutes circonstances.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2008 23:35 

Local Time:
Boo. Daniela & Lindsay lost 3-6 6-1 9-11 in the doubles and had a matchpoint at 9-8. Oh well, on to New York.

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 22. August 2008 02:16 

Local Time:
Oh bad, beating Cornet could have been a sign she is back in her better form, since Cornet is really playing well lately ( have you watched her play in Olympics? she's good ).

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Articles
PostPosted: 22. August 2008 09:36 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 16:46
Two articles about Daniela and the tournament

Hantuchova upset at Pilot Pen
By William S. Paxton, The Advocate

NEW HAVEN - The leg throbbed and the pain never went away, but Alize Cornet refused to back down Thursday afternoon.
The young Frenchwoman battled back from a first-set loss - and a painful left quadriceps muscle - to upset second-seeded Daniela Hantuchova, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, in the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament quarterfinals on Stadium Court in the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale.
"I never retire from a match because of pain like this," said Cornet, when asked if she thought about giving up. "I didn't even think about that. I just want to play till the end and try to keep fighting until the end."
Cornet, who is seeded seventh, advanced to the semifinals in her first year at the tournament. She will play another 18-year-old - Caroline Wozniacki from Denmark, who beat No. 3 Marion Bartoli, 6-4, 6-0, in the quarterfinals - at noon today.
"It's funny because we've known each other since we were 11," said Cornet, who is seeking her first career hard-court win. "We played our first match together when we were 11 on the international competition. ... Mentally, it will be very important to play at 100 percent, because I know that she wants to be in the final for sure, and I want to be in the final."
Cornet was less than 100 percent in the match against the Slovakian Hantuchova, but the word surrender was not in her vocabulary. After taking a 4-3 lead in the second set, Cornet called a timeout to seek medical assistance.
"It was the first time I called a (trainer) on the court, maybe the first of my career," Cornet said. "Usually I don't do that, but I was really bad on the court and feel big pain."
In addition to treating the injury, which gave her the most trouble on serves when trying to push off the leg, the stoppage allowed Cornet time to collect her thoughts and cop an attitude.
"I just thought I needed to be more aggressive on the court, so the timeout was really good for my game, and maybe Daniela, she get out of her match a little bit," said Cornet, who finished with four aces and won 55 percent (49-of-88) service points.
Hantuchova won the first game out of the break to tie it at 4, but Cornet blanked her in the next one and then claimed a 6-4 victory.
"You get used to (stoppages)," said Hantuchova, who also lost her doubles match with partner Lindsay Davenport later in the afternoon. "There's nothing you can do about it."
Cornet carried the momentum into the next set and jumped out to a 3-0 lead. Hantuchova fought back to tie the set at 4-4, but again Cornet stepped up and finished her off by taking the final two games.
"Yeah, because the first three games of the third set were terrible for Daniela," Cornet said of the momentum boost. "She just made so many mistakes. For me, it was really good to start the third set 3-0. It was really good and I just kept on going."
The loss was another early exit for Hantuchova, who has been to the semifinals only once (2002) in six appearances. She lost in the second round last year to qualifier Agnes Szavay while also the No. 2 seed.
"I thought I gave it my all," Hantuchova said. "I was fighting until the end."
Despite the nagging quad injury, which Cornet says comes and goes, she has played in 17 events this year along with the Olympics and is ranked No. 18 in the world. She has one career win, which came in Budapest earlier this year, but is 0-2 on hard courts.
Cornet hopes to add a second title, provided her leg holds up today against her young rival and friend Wozniacki.
"I just have to wait," she said. "Just try to put ice, to have massage and maybe (today) I will be at 100 percent. It can be worse for sure. It's just a little pain and it goes (away) soon, I hope."

Pairs Partners Gradually Adjust At Pilot Pen
By LORI RILEY | Courant Staff Writer
August 20, 2008

NEW HAVEN - Lindsay Davenport and her doubles partner Daniela Hantuchova have had a tough time adjusting to the time change since returning from Beijing over the weekend.
"I sleep on the court," Hantuchova joked Tuesday.
"To say that my head was fully clear — gosh, it's been hard sleeping," Davenport said. "In doubles, it's about reactions and seeing that ball and moving toward it, and I just felt like I could have done a better job a couple times with that."
Despite getting caught flat-footed occasionally at net, Davenport and Hantuchova managed to win 6-3, 6-4 over Olga Govortsova and Jill Craybas in front of about 1,500 fans in their first match at the Pilot Pen. The reported attendance at the night session was 5,387.
Mauresmo Finds Her Form At Pilot Pen "I'm glad personally to get off to a better start than I did last year and to win that opening match," Davenport said.
Davenport, the 2005 Pilot Pen champion, played doubles last year, 10 1/2 weeks after the birth of her son Jagger. She and Lisa Raymond lost in the first round.
Apparently Davenport, who lost in the Olympics doubles quarterfinals, didn't get a lot of sleep in Beijing either.
"I had to stay with the guys," she said. "The first night, I had to share the bathroom. James [Blake] went to the bathroom like three times in the middle of the night, turning the lights on. The next night, I was like, 'There is no shot I am staying here. I'm getting the bedroom with my own bathroom.'
"Then they started playing practical jokes on me. They eventually got me to leave. The last few nights, I went back to the hotel. James put salami in my pillow. He was throwing stuff in the toilet. They were so bad. So bad."
She laughed. She didn't sound too upset. "We had a good time with it," she said.
Davenport had a good time Tuesday, too. She and Hantuchova, who have played doubles on and off since last fall, get along well. Davenport said her chronically achy right knee feels better. She is looking forward to playing singles at the U.S. Open and also plans to play doubles with Hantuchova in New York.
"My knee started to clear up right before Olympics," said Davenport, who did not play singles in Beijing. "The last two days, I've practiced for singles and tried to move a little harder on the court. My knee's been great. I feel like I'm not as sharp as I need to be. Hopefully in the next week, that'll come. The more matches I play here in doubles, the more training I can do will help."
She and Hantuchova, who will play singles tonight at 7 against Govortsova, want to stay in New Haven as long as possible.
"We were both talking about how we don't like to get to New York too early," Davenport said, laughing. "It's just crazy there. We have a lot of commitments we're going to try to avoid by staying here through to the finals."

hellene fan
PostPosted: 22. August 2008 15:20 

Local Time:
But Hantuchova, who is coming back from a foot injury, said she was pleased with the way she played in New Haven.

"This was a very important week for me," she said. "I don't think I could have asked for a better week before the U.S. Open."

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. August 2008 17:04 

Local Time:
At least Daniela is quite happy with the week.

Rafael N A D A L

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 23. August 2008 12:04 

Local Time:
But Hantuchova, who is coming back from a foot injury, said she was pleased with the way she played in New Haven.

"This was a very important week for me," she said. "I don't think I could have asked for a better week before the U.S. Open."

sorry to say this but did Daniela mean, she is pleased when she lost to someone even her opponent wasn't playing 100% ??? Even Cornet said Daniela made too many UEs.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 23. August 2008 20:33 

Local Time:
No i think she ment that she is pleased with her improovment. I have to agree she's made a steady improovment since Wimbledon. Though still a long way to go. Keep going Daniela.

Stay Safe all from Mathius

Profile WWWYIM

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next