Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Enter your Message here

Tier I Title Holder
 Post subject: Re: Rogers Cup, Montreal
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 00:54 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 09:07
Just goes to show that consistancy pays off. But i agree with Scott. I think JJ needs to win a GS before she really is considered number one. Its a shame that she will become number 1 through Ivanovic's poor consistancy.

Stay Safe all from Mathius

Profile WWWYIM

Site Admin
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 10:27 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 10:07
Since when does a player "need" to win a Slam to be considered world number 1? Are there any specific rules? Clijsters and Mauresmo also were 1's without a Slam.
You say Jankovic doesn't deserve it. Not to mention that I dislike the word "deserve" being used in this context, I think the new world number 1 might as well be Jankovic as any other player. She accumulated the most points over the last 12 months, therefore she earned it and deserves it.

That's like saying Daniela didn't deserve to be in the AO semifinal because she didn't beat any top 20 player en route to it.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 10:40 

Local Time:
lol calm down Martin its just a matter of opinion. Scott was just stating his opinion and agree with him. If only everyone could play as consistent as JJ and others

Profile WWWYIM

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 10:49 

Local Time:
As some of you have already said, there is no clear number 1 at the moment. None of these top players are automatically the top favourite at a tournament because she is playing there (like in former days Henin was).

Everything is possible at the moment. Because of that it is even more frustrating that Daniela isn't at her best at the moment. She could make a lot of great results, if she was 100%.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 11:31 

Local Time:
Jelena may become world number 1 over the coming weeks but I doubt she will finish the year at that ranking. With Henin gone, and Kuznetsova unlikely to equal last years US Open performance, there are plenty of points up for grabs for the top players, and I don't see Jankovic going deep into the US Open - a quarter-final at best in my oppinion. Therefore the likes of Ivanovic and the Williams' sisters can gain plenty of points if they play there best, and realistically fight for the number 1 spot by the end of the year.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 16:53 

Local Time:
lol calm down Martin its just a matter of opinion. Scott was just stating his opinion and agree with him. If only everyone could play as consistent as JJ and others
:oops: I apologize, it's just that I am rather tired of hearing this over and over again. Jankovic will have the most points, therefore she will be number one. There is a gap cause by Henin's retirement yeah, but that's not Jankovic's fault. People were saying the same about Daniela when she was in the top 10, that she just benefits from weak fields, lucky draws and that she is not a real top 10 player. I became almost allergic to it.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 18:22 

Local Time:
just came from beach :lol: :lol:
nice talk.hantuchova for No 1.why not?otherwise i have talked about '
this in previous posts.i believe this.i dont think daniela lacks in abilities from other'
players .its just fact of time.only this.
go danka.except the sisters i put all other players in the same poke
as i have said from talent view is one from the most talented players.
is the best chance right now to take advantage.she can do it.
i am not stargazer.
i believe on her :slovakia: :slovakia:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 18:26 

Local Time:
I think that Jankovic was playing much better last year when she won more tournaments and had better wins.
I like Jankovic, but she's entered more tournaments than anyone else in the top ten bar Chakvetadze and she's only won Rome. When Mauresmo first went to number one she'd won three Tier 1s and was runner-up in the Tour Championship to get there.

On Friday, Jankovic thought she had wasted a chance to take over at No. 1 by losing in straight sets to unseeded Dominika Cibulkova in Montreal.
"At the moment I don't deserve that spot," Jankovic said after the upset loss. "I am not in the best shape; I am not at my highest level. So it will take time for me to get better."
She added: "The No. 1 spot doesn't matter."
Jankovic apparently had a change of heart, because in the tour's statement announcing her impending rise in the rankings, she is quoted as saying: "Since I was a young girl, it's been my dream to become No. 1 in the world."

Jankovic has accumulated the most points under the ranking system, but I think it says more about the current level at the top echelons of the WTA than her own brilliance. Like Krima mentioned, it's so frustrating that Daniela's been injured because she would be doing so well if she was fit and in form.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 4. August 2008 11:03 

Local Time:
:oops: I apologize, it's just that I am rather tired of hearing this over and over again. Jankovic will have the most points, therefore she will be number one. There is a gap cause by Henin's retirement yeah, but that's not Jankovic's fault. People were saying the same about Daniela when she was in the top 10, that she just benefits from weak fields, lucky draws and that she is not a real top 10 player. I became almost allergic to it.

don't worry about it Martin. Its all good ;) I think Daniela's fall in form has affected us all.

Profile WWWYIM

Site Admin
PostPosted: 5. August 2008 01:33 

Local Time:
To clarify why Daniela didn't play here. WTA automatically put her on the entry list to meet the WTA rules for the top players and number of tournament they should play, but Daniela herself never planned to play the tournament.

don't worry about it Martin. Its all good ;) I think Daniela's fall in form has affected us all.
No, it has not. I am as fine as I can be. :P
My opinion on the issue would be the same even if Daniela was winning Slams. The Olympics and tournament rescheduling caused all this mess. Jankovic has now two Toronto's counting towards her ranking... but the conditions are the same for every player.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 5. August 2008 12:27 

Local Time:
No, it has not. I am as fine as I can be. :P
My opinion on the issue would be the same even if Daniela was winning Slams. The Olympics and tournament rescheduling caused all this mess. Jankovic has now two Toronto's counting towards her ranking... but the conditions are the same for every player.

Ooops i misstook your comment sorry :D

Profile WWWYIM

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3