Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: The Championships, Wimbledon
PostPosted: 5. July 2015 20:39 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 04:33
Daniela should be playing Istanbul in two weeks, Alex.

That's a day brightener!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 5. July 2015 22:56 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 09:33
One thing about Wimbledon is that five of the semi-finalists from last year are already out, including both women's finalist.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 7. July 2015 19:00 

Local Time:
Azarenka won the first set from Serena. The match was won by Serena. Revive me with smelling slats.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 7. July 2015 19:17 

Local Time:
Ten years ago Williams went out of Wimbledon to Jill Craybas, now she's totally dominant into her mid 30s which is unprecedented in tennis history. I wonder how she does it?

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 7. July 2015 22:50 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 10:33
Ten years ago Williams went out of Wimbledon to Jill Craybas, now she's totally dominant into her mid 30s which is unprecedented in tennis history. I wonder how she does it?

The mental midgetry of the WTA players with regards to Serena is something else-too scared to win.

I love Garbine,but how in the hell has she reached the Wimbledon SF when both Magda and Johanna Konta made her look clueless on the grass surface?
Very dark times on the ladies circuit.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 8. July 2015 00:01 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 10:33
Urgh another frustrating Wimbledon...hoping Radwankska can outfox Muguruza and the winner of Serena/Sharapova...Aga deserves a slam...

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 8. July 2015 00:21 

Local Time:
Being a tennis fan at the moment with Williams winning is like being a football fan in 1980s East Germany. Apart from that I've enjoyed this Wimbledon for the most part.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 8. July 2015 00:57 

Local Time:
Tonight on ABC, BBC and CBC, we present to you the WTA's favored soap opera....The Silent Scream....featuring Victoria Azarenka. Presented with limited commercial interruption by Pimm's....Centre Court's favorite potent potable!

Can you believe this whiny sniveler? The town drunks in the seats upset you with their impressions? Poor baby! That has to be why she is now 3-18 vs. Serena, spiced by two straight Grand Slam eliminations after winning the first set. (I will refrain from calling this or any of her other defeats to S. Williams as gag jobs, because of how much I loathe people saying things like that about Dani. But I won't stop anyone else from saying it!) When Serena first sees the draw at a major, how long does it take her to stop laughing if Azarenka and/or Sharapova are in her half or potentially a finals opponent?)

By the way, Vika, real smart to complain in public about this with the US Open less than 2 months away. Think the fans were bad today? You just threw down the gauntlet to the tennis fans of New York. Good luck.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 8. July 2015 03:51 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 03:33
I would have LOVED to see Azarenka eliminate Serena today despite Azarenka's annoying screams, which btw USA morning radio show hosts Bob and Tom played a very titalating audio piece when Vika played Sharapova a few years ago.

When Serena is losing she does not historically take the high road either. One of the reasons I often root against Serena is the USA announcers are so pathetically in Serena's camp that I can't stand to listen to their in-game analysis.

All those reasons plus a thousand more are why I so respect Daniela even when things are not going so well. She has a fabulous outlook on life!!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 9. July 2015 00:47 

Local Time:
Williams has also got Wozniacki as her BFF now, Wozniacki used to be Azarenka's BFF and that Sasha guy has switched sides so there's that as well.

I remember at last year's US Open that Azarenka tried to get the crowd to sing Happy Birthday to Gael Monfils during one of her on-court interviews. "It's Gael's birthday today, wish him a happy Birthday" which got no response so she started singing Happy Birthday and trying to gee up the crowd for a response, but she was dying out there as they ignored her efforts as she was the world's worst MC trying to get a reaction from a totally unresponsive and distinctly unimpressed audience, that's probably what she's got to look forward to in New York. At least she tried. I don't know if Gael thanked her or not.
Azarenka's kicked off at the crowd at Roland Garros in the past, back and forth in aggro incitement, they boo her and she boos back.

Most American tennis commentating seems to be of the "America, Fuck Yeah!" variety at least when an American's involved. I can remember getting American commentary on Daniela v. Vania King at the 2009 US Open and Daniela was thrashing king but the commentators were saying with Daniela a set and 5-2 up "Vania's still in this, she's mentally tougher, she's hanging in great, she's going to turn this around", total nonsense and so biased and in complete contrast to what was happening on court. Daniela won the final game and they were "Unlucky, Vania, Hantuchova just got hot today." It wasn't much better when Daniela played Riske two years ago as that Mary Carillo was screaming "Come On" whenever Riske won a point, was orgasmic when Riske won the second set but was somewhat more subdued when Daniela won the match. Carillo was dreadful but she's somehow one of the top commentators in America. Maybe TV executives feel they have to appeal to the America, Fuck Yeah! demographic.

Daniela did some commentary at the Australian Open last year and by all accounts she was excellent.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 9. July 2015 18:00 

Local Time:
Shazza trying to beat Serena Williams is like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 10. July 2015 21:09 

Local Time:
When NBC Sports had the rights to Wimbledon, their promos were surreal hype of American players. Especially for matches on July 4. "It's an All-American Fourth at Wimbledon!...Connors....McEnroe....Sampras...Evert...Shriver :?: :!: " It was sickening. And the announcers, even normally excellent in other sports Dick Enberg, played right along. So I know all about this.
And I have often said that if I can help it, Daniela's TV matches are watched with the sound off. Even if I might not think the commentators are biased and rooting for the opponent, it's still the same broken record.
In a sort of similar vein, with the world's sport actually becoming popular in the USA, one of the reasons why was ESPN's decision in recent years, including last year's World Cup, to use British announcers, particularly Ian Darke, who I think is great. So naturally, ESPN loses the rights to Fox and it regresses to more yahoo-like coverage. Better than that, though, is how last year and this with the Women's Cup, the writers, bloggers, broadcasters et al suddenly went from explaining what's offside and what words like pitch and nil meant to trying to show they know the sport just as much as Europeans. In other words, they went bombs away on Klinsman and Jill Ellis; wrong formations, wrong lineup choices, the whole bit. After the group rounds this year, these gurus had made the answer to Groucho Marx's famous question of who is buried in Grant' s Tomb the US Women's team. Just wait til they face Germany, they said over and over and over. Well, all knowledgeables, it was worth the wait! Go back to commenting on a sport you actually do understand. Like MMA. :roll:

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. July 2015 22:54 

Local Time:
Everyone I wanted to win the Wimbledon finals lost. Boo!

A lot of the time the best analysts, at least for tennis, are people that have just retired and that the longer someone is away from playing the less knowledgeable they become. I think that applies more to big names and legends who just commentate on slams rather than the entire tour. John McEnroe just comes out with a lot of cliches and platitudes these days and I just wonder how much tennis he actually watches or how much research he does. Andy Roddick and Marion Bartoli have been excellent whenever I've heard them and both of them have just recently retired so they're familiar with the players they're talking about and with modern technique and tactics. Lleyton Hewitt has gotten a lot of praise when he's commentated so he's got a new job lined up for next year. I think Andy Murray will be a great commentator when he retires as he talks about strategy and tactics in his interviews and gives insightful answers to questions rather than platitudes.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4