Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Hobart International, Hobart
PostPosted: 8. January 2015 21:05 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 11:22
Dates: 11 - 17 January, 2015 image
Venue: Hobart, Australia
Tier: International
Prize Money: $250,000
Surface: Hard/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Mark Handley

Official Website: www.hobartinternational.com.au

First Appearance

Singles:
1R: Daniela Hantuchova bt [Q] Richel Hogenkamp (NED) 7-6 (10) 7-6 (5)
2R: [2] Zarina Diyas (KAZ) bt Daniela Hantuchova 7-5 6-1

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Hobart International, Hobart
PostPosted: 8. January 2015 21:07 

Local Time:
Women’s Singles

Casey Dellacqua AUS
Zarina Diyas KAZ
Camila Giorgi ITA
Varvara Lepchenko USA
Sloane Stephens USA
Klara Koukalova CZE
Mona Barthel GER
Alison Riske USA
Kurumi Nara JPN
Kirsten Flipkens BEL
Monica Niculescu ROM
Roberta Vinci ITA
Heather Watson GBR
Magdalena Rybarikova SVK
Kaia Kanepi EST
Christina McHale USA
Annika Beck GER
Karin Knapp ITA
Lauren Davis USA
Jana Cepelova SVK
Bojana Jovanovski SRB
Monica Puig PUR
Mirjana Lucic-Baroni CRO
WC Daniela Hantuchova SVK
WC Olivia Rogowska AUS

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 8. January 2015 21:18 

Local Time:
We'll see how Daniela does here. It'll be her first time here as she's always played Sydney before the Australian Open so it's a different preparation for Daniela There isn't an outstanding player there and Dellacqua is the top seed but most of the players are ranked between 30 & 60 above Daniela and while Daniela can beat anyone there, anyone there can beat her. There are some good players in the tournament so she has to respect any opponent and be ready to bring and sustain her best tennis form the start.

It'll be something new for Daniela so hopefully she has a good time here and spends a lot of time here and goes into Melbourne with momentum.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 9. January 2015 02:28 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 06:22
I have made many a reference to my crappy phone and how aggravating it can be for live scores. Well, my wife and I entered the 21st century and got smartphones. That led me to an app called Tennis Temple, which features a ranking list that they claim is up to the minute. Daniela has moved up 2 spots to #60 going to Hobart. That plus the Errani conquest made this week not so bad after all. Looks like all things are possible in Hobart with this field. Just don't give Daniela a draw with a red-hot qualifier, please!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 9. January 2015 10:22 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 12:22
Daniea does get a qualifier in the first round...

1R Q
2R Vinci or Diyas(2)
QF Riske

A quarter final here would be great but is going to be tough...

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 9. January 2015 15:33 

Local Time:
We'll just see who the qualifier is. Daniela's recent record against qualifiers hasn't been good and the match is likely to be on a outside court which the qualifier will have played on during qualifying.

Diyas has been going steadily up the rankings and Daniela's never played her so it would be a new experience and opponent while Daniela beat Vinci the last time they played in Eastbourne although Vinci's been a tough opponent over the years.

Daniela's always beaten Riske and when she has beaten Riske, she's always had a good tournament: Birmingham winner & US Open quarter-final in 2013 and Birmingham final in 2011, so potentially playing Rriske is a good omen although Riske is playing well these days and won Shenzhen last autumn. Daniela has to take things one match at a time and concentrate on getting past whoever the qualifier is first.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 10. January 2015 16:45 

Local Time:
VincI got bumped up to a seed as Lepchenko withdrew so if Daniela gets through round 1, Daniela's 2nd round opponent will be either Diyas or another qualifier...first round match to focus on first though...

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 10. January 2015 21:10 

Local Time:
Daniela's Doubles Partner of the Week is.....close your eyes, what do you see? I guess most of her besties are in Sydney this week. OK by me.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 10. January 2015 21:13 

Local Time:
It doesn't affect Daniela too much as she's still playing a qualifier in the first round although she's a bit more likely to be playing Ziyas in the second round although a qualifier who beats the second seed will have a lot of momentum. Daniela's still got to win her first round.

Daniela wants to be sure that she's rested before Melbourne and a lot of the time when she enters smaller tournaments she doesn't play doubles.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 11. January 2015 06:03 

Local Time:
Daniela's opponent: Richel Hogankamp, a Dutch lady ranked #139, and never higher than #135. This is something we can hang our hats and hopes on, as she isn't quite the normal hot qualie Daniela gets stuck with. She beat Zhu today in straight sets, but the previous match was a walkover and the first one saw her opponent retire in the second set. On the other hand she has a goodly number of wins over the types of players Dani has lost to. The signature win was over Georges as Gertein in '12 when she was #1 seed, a 1st rounder. Hogankamp also has wins over Bertens, Diyas, Pliskova, Knapp, Bertens again, Pliskova again, Svitolita, Tsurenko, Hradecka, Wickmayer, Czink, Hradecka again, Voegele, and (gulp) Urszula. Daniela has not faced her, but she is 2-0 over players named Daniela (Seguel). Chewing your fingernails yet? Dani could go down here, or she could destroy her. Wait and see, I guess.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. January 2015 12:39 

Local Time:
Never heard of Hogenkamp and I doubt Daniela has either...but Alex is right the girl basically has only really won one qualifying match thanks to retirement/walkover so she wouldn't have had too much match practice on the Hobart courts...

Will be an interesting match...and Daniela has the evening session so means me in UK can watch her play as will be early morning here. There's a free live stream on youtube of the centre court matches.

A little goal of mine for Daniela is for her to not have any first round losses this year...but I'm not getting my hopes up!

Anyway good luck Daniela!

Last edited by eddy on 11. January 2015 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. January 2015 15:52 

Local Time:
You've really got to favour Daniela against Hogenkamp although as Alex said, Hogenkamp has beaten some decent players so she can't be overlooked. I think it helps Daniela that the match is on Centre Court as Daniela will be a lot more comfortable there than Hogenkamp. It does seem like a lot of her losses to qualifiers have happened on outside courts. Daniela will also know when the match is starting so she won't be hanging around waiting and can prepare. Hogenkamp is a bit lucky to be here but she's still here and Daniela still has to beat her. Hogenkamp may feel that whatever happens is a bonus and be inspired as she doesn't have anything to lose. Daniela has to be focused on this match and play good tennis from the start.

A little goal of mine for Daniela is for her to not have any first round losses this year...but I'm not getting my hopes up!

Anyway good luck Daniela!

Daniela's best year for getting past the first round was 2009 when she had only 3 first round losses so if she could do better than that that would be fantastic.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 11. January 2015 19:43 

Local Time:
Heavens to Betsy. That's 3:15 AM in New York. We all deal with this every year at one time or another. Hoping I can awaken to great news, or maybe to groggily follow the last games of the match.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. January 2015 11:52 

Local Time:
:beer: :beer: :beer: Daniela won 7-6 (10!!) 7-6 (5) Daniela actually :beer: :beer: :beer: beat a qualifier!!

Was a messy match from Daniela but experience won her through. 1st set went with serve (although Daniela had two set points
5-4 up but couldn't take them) and an epic tiebreak ensued..Daniela was 4-6 down in that tiebreak and missed a few set points of her own.

Daniela got an early break in the 2nd set to go 3-2 up but Hogenkamp broke straight back and went on serve to another tiebreak. Again Daniela fell behind 0-2 but then won 5 points in a row playing amazing tennis 5-2 but Hogenkamp got it back to 5-5. Thankfully Daniela won the next two points to take it (match point was awesome)..

Hogenkamp played brillantly to be honest..Daniela maybe 50% of what she can do..but at least she got the WIN!

Will have to play so much better against Diyas to stand a chance..

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. January 2015 14:36 

Local Time:
That was a bit closer for comfort than expected. Hogenkamp played very well and really challenged Daniela although Daniela had chances that she didn't take as she only won 2/12 Bps while she was broken both times she faved a BP plus she had all these set points in the first set before she eventually won it. I think it will be a boost to Daniela's confidence to have won the match in two tough tiebreaks as her tiebreak record over the past couple of years has been pretty modest so to win two tough ones will help her. Her serve stats are very good: 72% 1st serve, 42/58 (72%) 1st serves won & 14/22 (63%) 2nd serves won.

It's good that Daniela won this in straight sets as going there would really have taken a lot out of her and she'll have to raise her level but getting past the first round in a place she's never played before should relax her, especially as she knows she can still fight for wins.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next