Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open, Wuhan
PostPosted: 23. September 2014 18:40 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 19:04
I'd actually say that Daniela's decline started when she played Fed Cup against Spain with a broken foot as she's never been the same player since. She was playing so well in 2011 and the start of 2012 but since then she only ever had sporadic runs of form with a lot more downs than up. Having Pistolesi coaching her in 2012 hurt as everyone he coaches ends up being terrible.
I'd also say losing to Jankovic at Roland Garros last year after having all those set points hurt Daniela as I don't think she's won a set against a top 20 payer since even though she's been close a lot of times. I also wonder about how much Birmingham took out of her as her matches against Mladenovic & Schiavone were absolute wars, both mentally and physically, and Schiavone's gone straight down while Mladenovic was in a huge slump for almost a year afterwards. Daniela also had tough matches against Riske & Vekic to win. I think these events, within a few weeks of each other, had a big impact upon Daniela although winning Birmingham was amazing.

Hingis could play like an absolute drain and it would be Daniela's fault. Hingis is basically a succubus and no one that works with her ever seems to do anything in singles: Pavlyuchenkova was terrible when Hingis coached her last year, Lisicki was terrible when Hingis coached her this year but she got a lot better when Hingis stopped coaching her and Pennetta, US Open apart, has done pretty much nothing since they teamed up in doubles. It's not just tennis she affects, Arsenal had the longest unbeaten run in English league history, Hingis starts dating Sol Campbell, one of their star players, they start losing, he walks out during a game and they didn't win anything for almost a decade. Hingis is a wrong un, avoid.

I'd say that Zahlavova Strycova is the best partner Daniela's had for a long time and if they can win tomorrow then that would be a big boost and I think that they should stay together, at least until the end of the season, because they can be a good team.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 23. September 2014 19:17 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 14:04
Excellent post, Chungwit. Reminded me of things that are major factors in Daniela's downturn. But I guess you had to be there last year to fully get my feeling on this. Yet you are correct that Hingis is a suedieclopus clodpole.
That leads to an idea. Since Daniela was so successful at talking Hingis out of retirement, why doesn't she try to do the same with Ai? I mean, if Date-Krumm can come back, why not her?

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 23. September 2014 23:26 

Local Time:
We've also got to remember that Daniela's 31 and she's played almost 1500 matches in singles and doubles and that, plus all the training and travelling, will take a toll, with all the aches and pains, ailments and injuries that entails. I remember that she said that her serve would never be the same again and that she wished she could buy a new arm when she played the Fed Cup tie against France in February 2012 so I'd imagine that she's got quite a few more physical issues to deal with. Daniela's also had issues with her back which will have hampered her. I'm pretty sure that Daniela's clean and her career path has followed traditional careers in the 70s, 80s, 90s & early 00s with her very best years in her teens and early 20s and doing well in her late 20s before really hitting the wall in her 30s.

As long as Daniela enjoys playing and she still wants to and is still able to play, she should play as long as she wants to, she doesn't have to justify herself to anyone. She's had so many great achievements and I'm sure she can have some more before she calls it a day.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. September 2014 11:21 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 20:04
Lost 1-6 3-6 to Kop-Jones/Spears.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. September 2014 12:26 

Local Time:
Wow that was over in a flash...is Daniela playing in Beijing?

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. September 2014 12:38 

Local Time:
Ouch, that's a bit of a doing. Spears & Kops-Jones are really getting on my tits. They were stronger on serve than Daniela & barbora - 75% to 46% 1st serves won & 58% to 44% 2nd serve points won - although the key stat is that Daniela & Barbora were 1/6 on BPs while Spears & Kops-Jones were 5/6. Spears & Kops-Jones were the better side although if a few of the BPs had gone the other way who knows how the match could have turned out.

Barbora got thrashed by Kerber earlier on so she probably wasn't at her best for doubles.

Daniela's playing Beijing, Tianjin and Luxembourg, eddy.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. September 2014 12:46 

Local Time:
3 more tournaments to try and keep her ranking in top 50..Come on Daniela!!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. September 2014 15:39 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 14:04
At 3-4 in 2nd set Daniela and BZS had 3 of those break points. That was their chance. Kops-Jones and Spears are best described by Daffy Duck: They're Despicable!

BTW: Sharapova lost to a complete nobody qualie who had either quit the tour or had seriously contemplated it. Thankfully, this sometimes happens to the prima donnas, not just Daniela.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 25. September 2014 17:51 

Local Time:
Anyone else find it a little strange that Daniela hasn't mentioned anything about Li Na retiring on her twitter? Thought she'd be one of the first to wish her all the best with her retirement...

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2