Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati
PostPosted: 14. August 2014 14:39 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 05:16
Highly unlikely, though it's been awhile since I've seen a tourney be so secretive about releasing the wild cards.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 14. August 2014 16:45 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 10:16
Connecticut Wildcards have gone to Cibulkova, Petkovic, Stosur & Flipkens.

Daniela's playing Hong Kong immediately after the US Open and she'll be seeded there whereas the field at Connecticut will be tough*

She didn't play either of the tournaments before Roland Garros and that was her last week off so Daniela could do with some rest and to prepare for the US Open, especially as she has to be fit for the US Open and then the Asian swing after that.

Darren Cahill was at Daniela's match against Makarova so I don't know if she's going to be working with him or it was just part of the Adidas programme, but it would be fantastic if Cahill would work with Daniela.

* Amazing how San Diego went from being San Diego to Carlsbad, while New Haven's gone from New haven to Connecticut even though they both stayed in the exact same place.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 14. August 2014 17:51 

Local Time:
Yeah, I don't think Daniela ever intended to play in New Haven after she committed to WTT. (If you know much about New Haven, you'd wonder why they didn't start calling it the Connecticut Open years ago.) This is her only chance to take some time, and her results in New Haven in recent years are about what they've been most everywhere this year, so why not skip it. (Plus that's where she did a fashion show and the announcer kept saying she's from Slovenia.) One can only cling to hope that better days are ahead for Dani.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 15. August 2014 17:07 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 11:16
Having let the dust settle over her recent loss, and we haven't heard anything from Daniela apart from more marketing for her Diva drinks, I am thinking that maybe Daniela is trying new things with her game at the moment and is not minding so much the losses as she is trying to put into practice more power and aggression into her game. This would explain the increase in double faults in her serve and also the stack of errors (and fantastic winners) against Wozniacki. Daniela was more aggressive than usual against Wozniacki...what do you guys think...am I just wishful in my thinking? I guess i'm trying to see a positive her dreadful results recently...and am hoping that it'll all click at the US Open.

I hope that Daniela plays on a showcourt for her first round of the US Open so we are able to at least analyse her game, as watching livescores is unbearable at the moment!

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 15. August 2014 18:43 

Local Time:
when she had played against wozniacki i had the impression, that daniela try some new things with the forehand. When she "learned" a new forehand this progress will take some weeks/months...

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 15. August 2014 20:24 

Local Time:
Glad you agree Patti :)

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 15. August 2014 21:39 

Local Time:
We all, when Dani is struggling, fear the worst. But your thoughts intrigue me, eddy. A few days ago I wondered if she was being overpowered. That led me back to 2010 and early '11. After the US Open in '10, Daniela finished the year 7-9. She believed that needed to get stronger and try some different things, and really threw herself into training/practicing for like 6 weeks. I remember very well how excited Dani was to get back out there in '11 and try what she had worked on. As we recall, she hurt her foot and withdrew from Brisbane, then likely came back too quickly and lost her first 4 matches. Despair reigned in the Forum, and many of us felt it would be great if she could get out of the first round in her next appearance. Well, presto/chango! Pattaya City! Followed by 5 months of toppling big names and playing at a top 10 level. I well remember seeing her beating Errani, Venus and Ivanovic and watching her just hit bombs and play aggressively.
And she has looked more aggressive in what few matches I have seen in recent months. I think she recognizes just how many players today stand back and blast away, even more so than in 2010. And we know Dani won't just throw up her hands and give in. So I believe you're onto something, eddy, and that might explain why she played for the Aviators, a perfect format to work on changes in competition rather than just practice. The results say it hasn't even come close to kicking in. But '11 was far from the only time in her career that our gal has gone stretches where it looks like she picked up a racket for the first time, then out of nowhere, great successes. She's down, but no way is she out, and neither are we!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. August 2014 17:01 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 10:16
Daniela really needs to improve her serve, especially the second serve, as that's been a weakness. Although I remember an interview she gave during the Fed Cup tie with France in 2012 when she said she wanted a new arm and expressed concern about how effective her serve could be. I can see why she'd be more aggressive with her second serve as it was a liability against Muguruza so Daniela may as well take more risks on second serve rather than just push it in and get a return blasted back.

I think that a factor in her playing World Team Tennis was to try out new stuff. The thing is is that new tactics would normally be tried as part of a plan with a coach and her coaching situation has been up in the air over the past few months with Daniela working with Lundgren for a while, but not at Roland Garros, then with Hogstedt at Eastbourne and Wimbledon but he's gone to work with Stephens and there's no news on who Daniela's working with right now. Daniela's got a lot of experience and knowledge and would recognise the need to make adjustments and is more than capable of doing it by herself but I think it's better to try new things in conjunction with a coach, or at least with the same coach. It could be that Daniela wants a coach who'll work in sync with her. It would be nice to have clarity on the coaching situation.
I also wonder if losing to Govortsova in the WTT conference final affected Daniela.

Wozniacki's in her best form for years and Makarova had confidence and momentum from her run in Montreal. Hopefully Daniela can at least get a decent opener at the US Open and we can see what happens from there.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. August 2014 20:51 

Local Time:
According to Tennisforum, Daneila will play USOpen doubles with Schiavone :P

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. August 2014 22:17 

Local Time:
I think the person most happy with Wozniacki's improvement is Serena. :mrgreen: