Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Rogers Cup, Montreal
PostPosted: 6. August 2014 20:26 

Local Time:
|14. May 2024| 17:51
Woz beats Kookie 61 62 in just over an hour ..at least that's something. .

Alex what was your secret, unfortunately didn't work this time...:p

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. August 2014 21:28 

Local Time:
|14. May 2024| 11:51
That's the understatement of the year! I'm going to give it one more week (I don't think Daniela will play New Haven unless she gets a wild card), and I'll reveal it then.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 6. August 2014 22:09 

Local Time:
|14. May 2024| 16:51
Wozniacki beasting Koukalova shows that she's in great form at the moment.

Daniela getting a thrashing from a top player who's in the zone is one thing but I think that Daniela's only had two top 50 wins in the past year and in quite a few of these she's had chances, like against Bouchard at Wimbledon, but hasn't been able to take them. Other times she just hasn't been able to bridge the gap, even if it has only been a few points here and there. Her second serve has been a big achilles heel for her over the past year, especially against anyone with a decent return. Losses to players like Barty, Oprandi, Date-Krumm and Davis haven't helped either. The WTA had a stat last year that Daniela had the 8th best record amongst active players for wins after losing the first set but this year her only comebacks from a set down have been against Voracova and Jaksic.

At the same time Daniela's shown so much resilience throughout her career, she's had so many great wins and shown so much skill, nerve and fight and she can do so again and have great wins and performances. Daniela's 31 and she's still playing while so many great players were retired at Daniela's age. As long as she's enjoying her tennis and can be competitive she can play as long as she likes, she's more than earned the right to do so.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. August 2014 23:59 

Local Time:
Thank you, eddy; that's a worry off my mind. And I certainly believe you about Daniela playing well. Here's how that concerns me: It was reported that she played well against Sharapova earlier in the year. Throughout most of her career, when healthy, Daniela playing well against a top opponent led to a victory or at least a very competitive defeat. In the two matches I'm referring to, her playing well led to defeats by a combined games total of 24-3. Is this how far Daniela's level of good play is behind the good play of the top players? That is an extremely scary thought. Or was it two isolated incidents of Sharapova and Wozniacki happening to be at the very top of their game? I'd rather believe that, but it would be nice for Dani to put it all together the next time she faces one of the best and win, and until then, I'm leery.

My intuitive take on this,FWIW,is that her head is dropping quicker than it used to do in the past. It's not surprising really-just about everything that could have gone wrong this year has done so. Daniela is still capable of producing quality tennis-what she really needs right now is a tight 3 set victory over a talented opponent,and then the confidence will start to flow.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 7. August 2014 18:46 

Local Time:
Wozniacki just beat Shelby Rogers 61 60 in 56 mins. Shelby won 4 points in the 2nd set.

Daniela's loss not looking so bad...but also just shows how well Caroline is playing at the moment and also how Daniela's draw was another extremely unlucky one...it's not funny anymore, Cincinnati will probably most likely be no easier but that's Daniela's last chance to pick up points and try and get a seeding for USOpen where she is defending 500pts. This year has sucked big time. Daniela faces being around #60 if she doesn't do well in the next two tournaments.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 8. August 2014 17:53 

Local Time:
|14. May 2024| 11:51
Caroline just saved 2 break points and served out the 1st set 6-4 over Serena. Even if she wins, even if she wins the tournament, it's very small solace to me until Daniela, like Benji said, wins a tough match over a top player, or even plays one close. Certainly that can happen, but the longer it goes that she doesn't, the more worrisome it will be.

Ended up being an amazing match. Took around 2:40. Yet, the more things change, the more they don't. In the last 2 sets, Caro lost serve at 5-6, so Serena wins 4-6 7-5 7-5. Caro was up 4-2 in the 2nd. She came back from 2-4 in the 3rd and saved 2 MP's before the inevitable. Serena is not in one of her invincible stretches right now. In a weird way, I would be interested to see how Dani fares against her if that's Dani's 1st round draw.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2