Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: Aegon Classic, Birmingham
PostPosted: 9. June 2014 23:22 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 17:23
Bencic is to be respected and even feared. However, Daniela is 17-6 in Birmingham (not counting qualifiers in the first two years of her career), including 10 of her last 12 matches. I would like to think that this might help her. We'll soon know!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 10. June 2014 18:51 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 22:23
I got the match from 3-2 in the second set. Daniela played really well and was dictating the play for pretty much the entire match but Bencic started playing really well from 5-2 and saved 3 MPs including one with her first ace and Daniela wasn't getting in too many first serves but Daniela got the job done when she served at 5-4.

Apparently Daniela won 8 games in a row during the match.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 10. June 2014 19:07 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 23:23
:beer: Her chance of being seeded for Wimbledon stays alive :)

I saw the whole match. There was a one hour rain delay after 1-1, after which Daniela came out firing and had all the answers to go 6-1 4-2 up. The kind of play that could get her very far here. However from then on it got very tricky. Daniela did a few double faults and some silly errors, also had a bad slip at one point and suddenly Benic was only one game away from drawing level. Daniela managed to go back to doing what she was doing in the first set and an half and did well to serve out.

Cute interview by her at the end where the interviewer asked her what's she's doing on her day off tomorrow. Daniela replied "go out and go nuts....only joking!"

Well done Daniela, either Puig or Date Krumm is going to be very tough so hope she can enjoy the doubles tomorrow and rest well to prepare for a sterner test.

Noticed that next year there is going to be another week of grass tournaments after the French Open. I hope Daniela takes advantage of this because if tennis was played on grass as much as hard courts Daniela would have been a top 10 player for many many years. Hope that also means that she will feel that it is worth playing for several more years to come!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 10. June 2014 19:11 

Local Time:
Daniela's doubles match is second on Court 4 after a singles match, play starts at 11 am.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 10. June 2014 21:50 

Local Time:
Yeah!! ;) Got it in and got it done!
At 6-1 3-0, I did wonder if Edward Scissorhands would have been a more difficult foe. :o Of course there had to be the obligatory scare; we'll done by Daniela to close it out on serve after some missed match points.
Since it's now 7 straight wins in Birmingham and 11 of the last 13, Dani could have said to Bencic before the match a paraphrase from Mark Labbett, the Beast on The Chase……Young whippersnapper, this is my classroom; you're about to get schooled!
We have been wroth a number of times over the years about Daniela fading after a rain delay. Really cool for her to come out with the 8 consecutive games after the break.
What is best about win #523 is that it did come over this week's next big thing. To become a top 20 player again, Daniela is going to have to deal with Bencic, Vekic, Garcia, Muguruza, Townsend et al. Very good sign today.
BTW: What brilliant Brit bookmaker established Bencic as the favorite? The live score that I used today posted the pre-match odds but did not change them throughout the match like some others do. This caused more than a few chuckles as Daniela built her lead, and of course also at the end. And anyhow, anyone who bets on tennis deserves exactly what they get!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. June 2014 14:05 

Local Time:
Daniela's next opponent will be Date Krumm. A very good grass court player. She battled past Puig 76 (7!) In the 3rd for two hours so hopefully Daniela can take advantage of being the fresher of the two.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. June 2014 18:18 

Local Time:
Date-Krumm's probably a better match for Daniela than Puig but Date-Krumm has to be respected.

Daniela & Lucic-Baroni lost in doubles in a supertiebreak.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. June 2014 18:19 

Local Time:
Daniela's the second match on Centre Court, play starts at 11am.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 11. June 2014 18:28 

Local Time:
It might have been nice to see Daniela get another crack at Puig. But since I never miss an opportunity for an omen, let me fondly recall 2011 in Pattaya City. Daniela was struggling so much that we were thrilled that she won her first match there. Kikimo was her second match. Dani was 0-3 against her, but pulled out a first-round tiebreaker and took her out in straight sets. We know what happened after that. This time, while it's a third round affair, it's still Daniela's second match this week. Hmmm. I'm quite OK with this. Daniela is now 2-3 vs. Kikimo, and this is their first go-round on grass. All we need is for a brainless bookmaker to make Dani the underdog!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Last edited by Alex Isabel on 11. June 2014 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. June 2014 18:28 

Local Time:
AEGON CLASSIC

June 10, 2014

Daniela Hantuchova

BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND

D. HANTUCHOVA/B. Bencic
6‑1, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Well done today.
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Thank you.

Q. Did it feel like you have never been away?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: It did. Yeah, yeah, I love that court. Like I said, for me it's the most exciting time of the year to be on the grass.
I was really looking forward just to be out there and play a match finally.

Q. What were you pleased with about your game most? It all seemed to be working very well.
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I think just being really aggressive on my shots, moving well, returning extremely well when I need to.
Yeah, I thought it was a very good performance. She's a very talented player, and I knew it was going to be a tough match. But for set and a half, I felt like I was doing all the right things.

Q. Are you slightly irritated to lose your serve when you were serving at the end of the match?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, it's normal. First match on grass you're always going to have little dips and downs. It's important just to accept them and work on your game every single game and try to improve it with the matches.

Q. When you talk about a court that you like, that you come back to, and you have good positive, feelings, is that kind of a commentary of how important confidence is‑‑
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: It is.

Q. ‑‑ when you play tennis? Is that what it is, you feel confident on that centre court and you produce that kind of tennis?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, I think all the top sports, at the top level, confidence makes the biggest difference. It's always nice to come back to places where you feel good and you know your game most of time is going to work.
Yeah, it's just I just always feel great coming back here. Every time the grass court season comes, I just naturally feel a little bit more confident.

Q. With the grass obviously the ball bounces lower. Has that been something that ‑ you're pretty tall that ‑ you've really had to adjust to, or is it just the way that you produce your shots, the low ball is in your strike zone? Why can you play so well on this surface?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I think definitely movement is the part that I have to adjust and work on quite a bit. But as far as strokes, I think that's where grass fits my game, because they are not as spinny and they're quite flat.
I think also growing up in indoors, winter, we always had to play on fast courts. So I think we got used to that speed since we were very little.
I think that's my reason why it feels so nice. Like I said, the movement, that's something I always have to work hard on.

Q. So do you see it as a positive thing that next year the grass season will be a little bit longer?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, finally. I never thought I would still be around but, hey, here I am. It's nice to hopefully still be part of that and have an extra week on grass.

Q. Is that because you like the surface and you're good at playing on it, or does it also give the players a little bit more time to maybe not feel as much pressure? With two weeks, sometimes you overplay and get injuries.
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah.

Q. If we protract it out, is it just a little bit calmer period?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, sometimes when you're rushing that's the highest risk to get injured and do something you don't want to do.
Also emotionally, mentally, after a Grand Slam it's always like you're going to have a little down time. It's nice to have those extra days to just be calm and work on your game and come, let's say, here very well‑prepared.

Q. Just few words about Belinda. In your opinion, what does she lack to be a champion?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I mean, she's still very young and she's got all here future in front of her. She's got a great game, a very good head, and you can just see the touch of Martina's game in her game.
It's nice to see somebody like this that actually uses her brain on the court, like I always said like Martina used to.
I think she just needs time and a little bit more experience. I'm sure we going to see a lot of her.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. June 2014 13:36 

Local Time:
Daniela being far too reactive than active 2-3 down a break.

This is going to be a struggle.

4-6 This is scary Daniela had a break point 4-5 but Date Krumm played amazing and aced to win the set.

Daniela needs a good start and try and stay out there as much as possible and hope Date Krumm gets tired and nervous.

She was too passive that first set.

Daniela playing terribly 4-6 0-1 broken

Daniela SO far back on the baseline. 0-3

In my opinion Daniela shouldn't have played doubles yesterday. She seems out of sorts and could have done with a whole day working on singles yesterday.

Daniela looks jaded and out of sorts, she needs to move up the court and rush Date Krumm.

4-6 0-6

Daniela looked like a lost lamb out there.

Another player who plays their best match of the year against Daniela. :( :( :( :( :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'll say it again, I don't think Peter Lungdren is the right coach for Daniela.

Daniela must treat Eastbourne next week as if that's her Wimbledon as she just lost her seeding.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. June 2014 17:52 

Local Time:
I missed the match and just got the result right now and it is just shocking and stunning. I thought that Date-Krumm wouldn't have much left after beating Puig but she plays amazingly today while Daniela has an off day. A perfect storm.

I'll say it again, I don't think Peter Lungdren is the right coach for Daniela.

Daniela must treat Eastbourne next week as if that's her Wimbledon as she just lost her seeding.[/b]

Daniela loses her title and her Wimbledon seeding but I suppose a conciliation is that she hardly has any points to defend until the US Open so any sort of run between then and now will boost her points and I know that she'll play well sometime.

The biggest coaching mistake that Daniela made was getting rid of Liptak. I'm not sure that getting rid of Liundgren would accomplish too much as the chances are Daniela would have trouble getting a good coach and she'd probably end up with someone like Pistolesi. Wawrinka and Dimitrov have done better post-Lundgren while Federer became dominant when he replaced Lundgren with Roache. Lundgren did a good job with Marat Safin as Safin won the Australian Open in 2005. Daniela's form has been erratic ever since her injury in 2012 and she's had a few coaches since then. I do feel that Lundgren's been someone that's worked with great players rather than created great players but he is a good coach and Daniela seems to respect him - even if it is because he worked with Federer - and the constant turnover of coaches hasn't done her too much good over the past couple of years.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 12. June 2014 18:05 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 18:23
Wow, she wiped the floor with Daniela. Didn't see this coming.

And yes, much like leaving Sanchez Casal, Liptak was another one she should have not let go. But I was of the idea that he did not want to travel as much due to his family?

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. June 2014 18:14 

Local Time:
There are a lot of weird results today as Dellacqua's just beaten Stosur.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. June 2014 18:22 

Local Time:
Urgh so Daniela's opponents to get Wimbledon seed would have been Date Krumm and Dellacqua. I'm fed up with opponents coming up with their best tennis all the time!

Murray and Nadal also lost today, so maybe Wimbledon finals will be Daniela vs Stosur and Murray vs Nadal in some weird fate! Hell I can dream.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next