Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: French Open, Roland Garros
PostPosted: 28. May 2013 21:15 

Local Time:
|11. May 2024| 12:45
Court 16
11:00 AM
Men's Singles - 2nd Round
Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs. Joao Sousa (POR)

Women's Doubles - 1st Round
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) [16] / A. Medina Garrigues (ESP) [16] vs. Jelena Jankovic (SRB) / Mirjana Lucic-Baroni (CRO)

Men's Doubles - 1st Round
Julian Knowle (AUT) [15] / Filip Polasek (SVK) [15] vs. Jamie Murray (GBR) / John Peers (AUS)

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 28. May 2013 21:24 

Local Time:
|11. May 2024| 13:45
Thanks for the report eddy. I personally thought she was playing too much into Jelena's backhand after the resumption,it's her best shot and she really made Daniela pay for it in the crunch.

Still worried about her shoulder-her average service speed was only 148 k/ph according to Roland Garros stats board. It doesn't matter so much on clay,but on grass she is going to need that serve to be as potent as possible.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 29. May 2013 00:24 

Local Time:
Thank you for the match report, eddy, it's always good to get the perspective of someone who was there. Jankovic seemed to have a lot of success with drop shots, at least during her comeback in the second set.

I don't think that Daniela's ever really been fully fit since she hurt her foot just before the 2011 US Open and her back and shoulder problems first flared up in late 2009. She does the windmill motion between points a lot and that's something that she never did before. I wonder how much the cold conditions in Strasbourg and Paris stiffened up her shoulder.

It's also weird how similar the two slams and the build up has been for Daniela. She gets a top 10 win in the second round of a premier event a few weeks before the slam before losing in straight sets in the next round, she loses in the first round in three sets to a pretty average player in the event the week before and then loses in the first round of the slam. She was even 5-0 up in the second set in Australia & Roland Garros. Deja vu all over again.
The last time Daniela lost in the first round of Roland Garros she got to the fourth round at Wimbledon & the US Open and I'd take that again.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. May 2013 08:43 

Local Time:
|11. May 2024| 08:45
I just don't know what to make up of Daniela's game anymore. She needs to string wins to gain some sort of momentum. But how? Her ranking does not make for great draws, when the draws are kind she inexplicably loses. I'm just losing a bit of hope, especially if her body is hindering even more.

I really want for her to have at least another title or a good run in a Slam at some point.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 29. May 2013 15:04 

Local Time:
Doubles is one set all right now.

4-6 6-3

3rd set:
0-1, Daniela & Anabel broken to 30, were 0-40 down.
0-2, Jankovic/Lucic-Baroni hold to 30. Scoreboard was stuck at 30-15 for ages then went 2-0.
1-2, Daniela & Anabel hold to 0
1-3, Jankovic/Lucic-Baroni hold on their 4th GP & 3 deuces. No BP.
1-4, broken to 15.
1-5, Jankovic/Lucic-Baroni hold to 30.
2-5, Daniela & Anabel hold to 0. Come on Daniela, give Jankovic a taste of her own medicine from yesterday.
2-6, Jankovic/Lucic-Baroni serve out to 30, Daniela & Anabel saved 1 MP but not the second.

Both teams won 92 points but Jankovic/Lucic-Baroni won the match. Jankovic is really getting on my tits.

I think this is going to be Daniela's last tournament with Medina Garrigues as Daniela's going to be playing with Kirilenko at Wimbledon.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. May 2013 16:01 

Local Time:
I thought Kirilenko had given up on playing doubles because of her knee? :dunno:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. May 2013 16:16 

Local Time:
|11. May 2024| 07:45
In case you were wondering, since yesterday's match devastated me as much as any in a long, long time, and since even Barack Obama's White House press secretary couldn't put a positive spin on it, I just decided to chill and maybe feel a little better after Danielalbel today. Well, that didn't happen. I guess it was even worse for you, eddy, having seen it live. I am fearing that Dani is a physical wreck right now, and have to wonder if me seeing her at Carlsbad just ain't in the cards. I'm even worried that she'll never get to 500 or 800 total. Yeah, there's mixed still left in Paris, but facing the #2 seeds doesn't exactly breed confidence. Right now, I'm just seriously bummed. We all go through this, I know, as Daniela fans. Guess I just got to hang in there and await some joy down the road. But none right now, that's for sure. :cry:

Let's Go, Daniela!

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 29. May 2013 19:07 

Local Time:
In the singles match yesterday, she played excellent tennis in the 2nd set to lead 5-0 (as Eddy said). Great strategy, great precision of shots. I think it is rather encouraging that devastating. It proves she can still play great tennis.

I am less convinced by the doubles I saw today, she made a lot of errors on important points. She was weaker than AMG in that respect.
- I have posted photos of the doubles.

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 29. May 2013 19:25 

Local Time:
It was a really tough loss, Alex, but Daniela's shown her resilience so many times in the past and I'm sure she'll do it again. She'll get to 500 wins.

Thanks for the report on the doubles, Jean Raj, it's a bit dispiriting to hear that Daniela didn't play well but I don't know how motivated or focused Daniela would be for doubles.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. May 2013 21:25 

Local Time:
Much obliged, Chungwit and Jean Raj. I know deep down that Daniela is nothing if not resilient; if not, she would have kissed tennis goodbye a long time ago. And I know she'll get her milestone wins soon enough. It actually would be rather neat should she achieve the 800 combined career wins in the aspect of the sport she long ago conquered with her mixed Slam. Thanks for the reassurance. All you guys in the Forum are cool! :coool:

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 30. May 2013 00:55 

Local Time:
The most encouraging thing about her loss yesterday to Jankovic was that the majority of the match was on Daniela's racket. So many points Daniela was on top in the rally with great depth and had Jankovic (probably one of the best movers on clay) scrambling. The job would have been done against MANY top 50 players yesterday, as Daniela said it was not the best draw for her as Jankovic is so good on clay.

I guess right now Daniela needs our support more than ever. :|

PS I also really appreciate you guys on this forum, it's really great to share the ups and downs.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 30. May 2013 03:22 

Local Time:
I guess right now Daniela needs our support more than ever.

Always, always. I never cease wondering if Daniela reads us or her FB page, where by now I have probably left her 1000 messages over the last 3 years, always encouraging. In my fondest imaginings, she'll play Carlsbad (I know she always does and enjoys San Diego, but she might get hurt or have to qualify and not do so) and do an autograph table. I'll get my turn and introduce myself and my wife, and her eyes will open wide and will say "Oh, you're the one that posts on my FB page all the time" and flash the Priceless Smile. (Cue up Steven Tyler and Aerosmith: "Dream On, Dream ON"!)

There truly is always hope, guys. My moribund NY Mets, who could not have played worse the last 2-3 weeks, have just beaten the mighty, hated Yankees for the 3rd straight night! Geaux, Dani!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 30. May 2013 08:17 

Local Time:
Hey, can one of you moderators change the Jankovic score on the thread title to 64 76(7) as it currently reads 76(4)

Sorry to be fussy but I often look back at past threads and want to remember how close the 2nd set tiebreaker was!

edit: Thank you!

Last edited by eddy on 30. May 2013 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 30. May 2013 11:36 

Local Time:
|11. May 2024| 08:45
Of course Jankovic's R2 opponent played horribly and she cruised to R3.

Daniela :(

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 30. May 2013 11:39 

Local Time:
Hope Jankovic has a deep run here. Will heal the scars a bit more.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next