Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome
PostPosted: 11. May 2013 09:36 

Local Time:
|20. May 2024| 07:15
Dates: May 11 - 18, 2011 image
Venue: Rome, Italy
Tier: Premier
Prize Money: $2,050,000
Surface: Clay/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Sergio Palmieri

Official Website:
www.internazionalibnlditalia.com

2012 performance: Did not Play.
Last Appearance: 2011 3rd round. Lost to Francesca Schiavone 3-6 6-2 7-5

Singles Qualifying:
1R: [11] Daniela Hantuchova bt Galina Voskoboeva (Kaz) 6-2 7-5
2R: [8] Simona Halep (ROU) bt [11] Daniela Hantuchova 6-4 6-2

Doubles:
1R:Samantha Stosur/Francesca Schiavone bt Daniela Hantuchova/Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-3 6-1

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome
PostPosted: 11. May 2013 09:48 

Local Time:
I've got to admit that on a purely personal level Daniela having to play qualifiers is a massive pain in the tits for me as it means I'll have to go up and get new tickets and it does disrupt my plans a bit, I have tickets monday - wednesday so now I have to go on the weekend as well. Still, Daniela doesn't start till after 4:30 so there's a bit of time to look around before going to the tennis. I just wonder how much time she'll have to prepare as she was playing in Madrid on thursday so not the amount of time to get ready that she would have liked although a good run in Madrid is wonderful and a better problem to have than the alternative. She should have gotten a wildcard for here as Rome is her favourite city and the main reason her ranking is where it is is because of that clown Pistolesi, Italy owes her. She gets a wildcard into Madrid and she does well with Spanish coaches, I think Daniela might start liking Spain more.

Anyway, Voskoboeva could be tough but if Daniela plays like she did in the Fed Cup or against Kvitova then she's got a good chance although Vokoboeva has to be respected as, like eddy said in the Madrid thread, she did well in Portugal and she also had a great run in Toronto a couple of years ago beating some top players. Anyway, I really want Daniela to win this and for her to have a great tournament and hoefully she can go into this fit and refreshed.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 11. May 2013 17:03 

Local Time:
Daniela wins the first set 6-2 ...and the 2nd set 7-5
Well done - :beer:

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. May 2013 19:58 

Local Time:
|20. May 2024| 08:15
That's a pretty good effort to win in straight sets coming from Madrid. Unfortunately Halep tomorrow on court 2. (halep played her 1st qualifying match on court 2 today so will already be used to the court) It will be very tough to beat Halep but if Daniela does qualifying for Rome would be fantastic.

Looking at where the qualifiers are drawn it's not good reading. The best first rounders are Lepchenko or Kirilenko or Makarova. However there are other draws such as Goerges and Kuznetsova there too.

Of course Daniela has to qualify first and I doubt being no.11 seed in qualifying will give her a chance for lucky loser if she doesn't get past halep. So all to play for tomorrow.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. May 2013 20:37 

Local Time:
:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:
I went to Daniela's match today. She played really well in the first set, serving well, striking the ball well and showing great touch while Voskoboeva was terrible. Daniela started the second set in a similar and got to 2-0, 15-40 on Voskoboeva's serve and if she'd broken then she'd have romped through the rest of the match. Voskoboeva then sterted played really well and her serve got a lot better with more power and accuracy while she cut out the errors on her groundstrokes and Voskoboeva's first serve became a weapon for her. Daniela had been hitting the ball flat for the first set and a bit but she starting hitting with more topspin and even put in some moonballs, so that levelled things up a bit. Voskoboeva played a lot better from behind in the second set as she came from 3-1 down to 3-3 and then 5-3 to 5-5, but as soon as she got level then she'd make errors again while Daniela would up her game. She broke Voskoboeva to 0 at 5-5 and then she was able to serve out the match at 6-5 on her second MP. I've got to admit I was a bit tense at the end of the second set but Daniela got the job done.

I saw a bit of Halep's match. She had no problems at all against Balducci who's a young Italian and Halep thrashed her. After the match she was hitting with her coach on one of the practice courts, she hadn't even changed or anything just went straight there from her match. The coach was giving her a better game. Kim Clijsters' daughter was playing on the next court making sandcastles with the clay. When I got to Halep's match it had just starteed while the ATP match on the next court was 2-2. Halep had won about the same time the first set of the men's match ended. It's difficult to say how well Halep is playing as she didn't get any competition in her match.

Roger Federer was having a practice match with Kevin Anderson on Centrale, so I watched him for a bit before Daniela's match. After Daniela's match I went round the grounds for a bit and saw Kuznetsova hitting with Vesnina. Kuznetsova was wearing a flourescent yellow/green t-shirt, so she could play a night match without floodlights. Baghdatis was hitting with Zimonjic next door and it looks like Zelko Krajan is coaching Baghdatis now (I thought he was still with Laura Robson but there you, shows you what I know). I think I saw Tiffany Nesfield running on a treadmill in the players gym. Daniela was with Nicolas & Nesfield and they don't give the coaches comfy chairs on Pietrangelo, the chairs are basically bar stools with a back.

Anyway, Daniela played well today, she got a good win against a potentially tricky opponent, who was tricky at times, but Daniela came through when it mattered. It was great to see her win. She gets some more points which will help her rankings.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. May 2013 20:41 

Local Time:
Thanks for the report chungwit! Did she show a nice reaction when she won? Hope you bring her good fortune tomo too.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. May 2013 20:49 

Local Time:
Thanks for the report chungwit! Did she show a nice reaction when she won? Hope you bring her good fortune tomo too.

I showed a nice reaction anyway, eddy. A big scream of YESSS!!! from me with a double fist pump. Daniela shook hands fairly amicably with Voskoboeva at the end and signed some autographs but I didn't get one as a I was sitting in a different section of the stadium for the maatch so I tried to run round and down to get her autograph but I was too slow so missed out but a lot of kids got autographs. I'd have gotten her to sigh a Rome guidebook while everyone was getting her to sign giant tennis balls or programmes. I did get a Mario Ballotelli t-shirt there. I've got to admit that Foro Italico is really nice, they did a great job over the past couple of days sprucing it up.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 11. May 2013 21:30 

Local Time:
Thank you for your reports chungwit. And good catch on the Krajan/Baghdatis alliance-it's just been officially announced. :beer:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 11. May 2013 22:12 

Local Time:
|20. May 2024| 02:15
Pro's Pro! #498!

Very happy for you, Chungwit! When I was able to get the autograph/photo in Miami, I was lucky because there was only one way for the players to enter and leave. Maybe later in the tourney you'll get your chance. Hope so!
I was taken to a mall by my wife (and I'm glad she's up to shopping again), so it was crappy phone time again. The end of the match was pure Maalox-moments, particularly when she faced a break point for a super-dreaded tiebreaker, but Daniela was a pro again and got the job done. How about 28-35 1st serve points won? Her stats on serve are starting to show signs of consistent improvement, and she's definitely getting more aces. Now I can rest easier with Sharapova getting #500 today, which will greaten the chances that when Dani reaches it, hopefully Monday or Tuesday if she beats Halep and gets fortunate with the draw, she'll get the attention and love she deserves.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. May 2013 17:03 

Local Time:
I'm worried about this match, to not qualify for Rome would be really distressing.

4 consecutive breaks of serve 2-2, Daniela serving now

3-2, 3-3 Daniela had a couple of non-consec break points in that game but couldn't take it, Halep is a tough matchup for Daniela.

4-3, 4-4, first set will be crucial.

4-5 FFS

Last edited by eddy on 12. May 2013 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 12. May 2013 17:28 

Local Time:
|20. May 2024| 03:15
Halep serving for the set.

What is Halpe's gamestyle?

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. May 2013 17:29 

Local Time:
Halep serving for the set.

What is Halpe's gamestyle?

Stay in the rally for as long as possible, loopy shots..zzzzzz

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 12. May 2013 17:32 

Local Time:
I can see that. I bet she is just UEing her way out of the match.

Be calmed and win in 3 sets!

Broken yet again. This is not looking well, is it?

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 12. May 2013 17:42 

Local Time:
|20. May 2024| 02:15
I think that when it's time for either Dani or Halep to serve, they oughta decline!
Guys, should you look up the term Bad Day in Wikipedia, video of Daniela today will be featured. Ouch!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Last edited by Alex Isabel on 12. May 2013 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 12. May 2013 17:46 

Local Time:
2 game points wasted. Oh, dear.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next