Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid
PostPosted: 5. May 2013 16:58 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 11:41
Kvitova will be very difficult for Daniela as she's dominated the head-to-head and is such a tough matchup for Daniela. Kvitova also won here 2 years ago. At the same time, Kvitova can be erratic and if Daniela plays well, then why not?
Daniela's the underdog, she's got nothing to lose and all the pressure's on Kvitova but it is vital that Daniela takes her chances.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 5. May 2013 19:37 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 07:41
Sadly, Daniela has always been the underdog. Only time she had a chance was at Eastbourne, wasn't it? Damned injuries.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 5. May 2013 23:56 

Local Time:
Daniela & Anabel are the second doubles match on court 7, play starts at 2pm.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 01:58 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 06:41
I was out of town when Daniela beat Stephens and was figuring by using my phone for scores that she was doing well on serve. Now home again, I learn she was not broken at all, and I can't recall when that last happened. Do any of you guys know how fast she was hitting 'em?

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 11:53 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 12:41
Suarez Navarro just beat Stosur 76 62, so IF Daniela can get past Kvitova, kanepi or Saurez Navarro would be her 3rd round opponent.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 12:10 

Local Time:
Let's just concentrate all of our positive thoughts on Daniela giving Petra a challenge.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 16:36 

Local Time:
Daniela not playing against Kvitova until Wednesday.

So they put her 1st round match up on the Saturday and then 4 day gap to 2nd round..wowzers..

Lost doubles to Mirza and BMS 67 64 4-10, Danabel should have won the 1st set as were serving for it 5-4 and 6-5...ah well focus on singles

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 17:01 

Local Time:
Daniela not playing against Kvitova until Wednesday.

So they put her 1st round match up on the Saturday and then 4 day gap to 2nd round..wowzers..

Lost doubles to Mirza and BMS 67 64 4-10, Danabel should have won the 1st set as were serving for it 5-4 and 6-5...ah well focus on singles

That is the most ridiculous scheduling I've ever seen. As for the doubles.... blech. Just don't seem to be able to close these top teams out-and Daniela's TB woes seem to have crossed over into her doubles play.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 17:28 

Local Time:
The doubles result is disappointing, especially as Daniela & Anabel served for the first set twice but couldn't close it out and lost the tiebreak and the super tiebreak. I'm surprised that Daniela's not playing Kvitova until Wednesday although the doubles today will keep her occupied and she's playing with only a day off between matches - although 3 days between 1st & 2nd round - while Kvitova will have had two days off. I honestly can't remember if Daniela's ever had this long a gap between rounds in her career.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 17:31 

Local Time:
Hantuchova: ‘This is one of the best tournaments in the world’
06 May 2013 Share on email

The Slovakian answered some questions about her career's highlights and the tournament in an interview for the tournament's offical website.
She is one of the oldest players still playing and one of most loved players by her fans. The Slovakian Daniela Hantuchova could not play in the Mutua Madrid Open last year, but she has come back this time stronger than ever and received a Wild Card from the organisation. Hantuchova answered some questions for the tournament’s official website and talks about the highlights of her career and the Mutua Madrid Open. She also answered some questions sent in by fans via the offical fan pages on Facebook and Twitter.

You are playing in this year’s tournament with a Wild Card from the organization. You arrived a few days ago and you seem to be very happy and comfortable in Madrid. Are you enjoying your stay so far?
Yeah, I appreciate that very much, you know, getting the opportunity to play here in a main draw of the tournament, it meant a lot to me, and that´s why I came so much earlier to make sure that I would be prepared the best way I can because obviously the altitude here is a little bit different, so I just wanted to get used to everything and I love Madrid, I love being in Spain so I really enjoyed my preparation here, we had a wonderful week even though it was cold. We had a lot of fun and here we are in the tournament now.

This is your fourth time playing the Mutua Madrid Open. Do you think the tournament has improved?
Yeah, it’s unbelievable, I mean, I didn’t play last year, but compared to previous years, it’s a hundred times better. The courts are fantastic and in incredible condition, especially the main courts, I would say they are even better than at the French Open. And just the way they take care of us, from the drivers to the whole organization. I think we all get treated very well here, I think it’s one of the best tournaments in the world, for sure.

You beat Sloane Stephens on Saturday and you played a great match. How did you feel playing on the central court?
Obviously, I love playing on the centre court here, I have had some good matches there in the past, I lost a very close match with Sam Stosur and Jankovic before and I always feel great playing here and it was a good first round, you know, she’s a very talented player so I knew I had to play very well to beat her and I did, so I’m very happy.

Your next game will be against the 2011 champion Petra Kvitova, a player you’ve never beaten. What do you expect from this match?
Yeah, it’s gonna be a tough one, Petra is one of the players that I really struggle to play against, I don’t think I’ve ever won a set against her and she just has the best game for playing against me, she always plays unbelievably but tomorrow is a new day and I’m going to give my best, obviously I feel like I have a chance if I play well and that’s what I’m gonna try to do.

You won the Fed Cup in 2002 at only 21 years old winning two matches in the final. What memories do you have of that final?
Yeah, it was one of the most incredible days in my tennis career because winning something like the Fed Cup for such a small country, we are only 5 and a half million people, so it was very special, especially the match against Conchita. I think it was one of the most emotional matches I’ve ever played and I think one of the longest ones as well. She was just so tough to beat, she had so much more experience than me, I was so young but I will never forget that day it was definitely one of the most important in my career.

You have won the Fed Cup, Indian Wells twice and the four Grand Slams in mixed doubles amongst other important titles. Which title would you most like to win?
I think I would go with Wimbledon because it’s always been the most special tournament for me, I love playing on grass and just the whole history of the tournament. Just being able to be there and have the privilege of playing is very special and it was the first tournament I saw on TV and it just means a lot, so it would definitely be a dream come true to win that one.

A Facebook user of Mutua Madrid Open (Juan Manuel Gálvez) has sent us a question for us to ask: ‘You’ve been playing tennis at the top level for 14 years, travelling all around the world. What is your motivation to keep playing tennis?’
It’s a good question. Like you say, I’ve been on the tour for so long and sometimes you need different things to inspire and motivate you, but for me it’s still the love of the game, I love playing tennis, I love being out there on the court and being competitive and I’m sure if I was not around anymore I would really miss that so I really appreciate still being healthy and being able to play at such a high level.

And finally a question from a twitter user from Mutua Madrid Open (shoelessden): She says ‘Daniela, you’re a superb commentator on the game. Do you intend to become a full time commentator when you retire?’
Actually, it has crossed my mind a couple of times, because I really do enjoy it, having been in front of the camera since a young age and I think I have learnt so much about tennis during all these years on the tour, as I said it is my passion and I love watching it and playing it so maybe one day, but I still prefer to be on the court, on that side of the camera for the moment.

By Roberto Hernández | Source photo: Mutua Madrid Open
+ short video interview.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 17:44 

Local Time:
Anyone know a voodoo priestess or something like that to change Dani's luck in tiebreakers? :roll:
All of this year so far, it seems like when Daniela does advance to the second round and draws a Petra or another top player, it's on a normal schedule where she's played the two days before the 2nd round match, one singles and one doubles, and because she just hasn't played a normal amount of matches since last June, she seems to tire and fade. so, while this long break seems ludicrous on its face, maybe it's the best thing that could happen to Dani. Maybe she can get off to a good start against Petra and then be able to hang in there if the match becomes a long one. And, in the last 2 years, she has beaten for the first time someone who had always tormented her in Venus and Kim. So, I do hold out hope!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 17:48 

Local Time:
Just to give an example of how daft the scheduling has been,Kerber played her 1st round match on Sunday(after Daniela),yet played her 2nd round match this morning-2 whole days before Daniela and Petra take the court. :roll:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 18:10 

Local Time:
It's funny cos in her interview she says about playing petra "tomorrow" (as in Tuesday) but she'll have to wait. At least she has tomorrow free to work on her singles tactics for Wednesday.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 20:13 

Local Time:
That wildcard come with press duties, doesn't it?

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2013 23:35 

Local Time:
That wildcard come with press duties, doesn't it?

May well be. I'm very pleased that Daniela got this. All these years she's been a notable part of the lifeblood of the WTA and with rare exception is always there for them when they look to her for publicity (a zillion autograph tables, draw ceremonies, player parties, interviews, on and on). She's put a lot of tushies in the seats and made them a lot of money. It's so good to see that, after the plummeting of her ranking and her willingness to pay dues and qualify for Dubai, Dani has decided to cash out on all the good will she has provided for all her career and seek a wild card or two.

Now, you were looking for a positive vibe from us, Helio. Let's try this: Without the wild card, Daniela either doesn't play or has to qualify. How many times does someone who wasn't expected to play win the game or go on a long run, depending on what sport you're thinking of? She already has a win this week that the rankings say should not have been. High seeds are going down in Madrid like flies (Li, Aga, Stosur). And the tennis gods or even the law of averages say that she has to win a tiebreaker sometime soon. Maybe it's a reach or a flight of fancy, but I just have a funny feeling that Daniela wins a tiebreak to clinch a win over Petra. Let's see sweet dreams become sweeter reality!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next