HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANIELA        Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: Porsche Tennis Grand Prix, Stuttgart
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 16:36 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 00:49
Rare is the day that Daniela follows the notion that discretion is the better part of valor. I'm going to resist the urge to panic and believe this shows the ankle is really, really bad. More likely, it's something that an extra week or so will help a lot, so this does make sense. Dominika is in very good form, and points don't seem to be a problem this week (in fact, with some of the 1st round results, particularly Vinci losing, Dani might actually benefit again while not playing!). So....hakuna matata! Let's Go, Daniela!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 17:41 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 06:49
Rare is the day that Daniela follows the notion that discretion is the better part of valor. I'm going to resist the urge to panic and believe this shows the ankle is really, really bad. More likely, it's something that an extra week or so will help a lot, so this does make sense. Dominika is in very good form, and points don't seem to be a problem this week (in fact, with some of the 1st round results, particularly Vinci losing, Dani might actually benefit again while not playing!). So....hakuna matata! Let's Go, Daniela!

No such luck-out for several weeks with a stress "reaction" to her left heel. :cry:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 18:28 

Local Time:
The only positive is it's a stress reaction not fracture, so hopefully not so bad...I expect she'll miss Madrid and Rome though :( I HATE FED CUP EVEN MORE NOW!

Last edited by eddy on 25. April 2012 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 18:28 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 01:49
Fed cup strikes again. Damn it.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 18:47 

Local Time:
The only positive is it's a stress reaction not fracture, so hopefully not so bad...I expect she'll miss Madrid and Rome though :( I HATE FED CUP EVEN MORE NOW!

QFT. Liptak is an utter disgrace for allowing her to play that 4th rubber. I used to feel bad about him getting sacked last year-not any more.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 19:00 

Local Time:
Daniela via Facebook:

"Hi everyone... this morning an MRI showed a stress reaction in my foot, which will keep me out for several weeks :-( I tried till last minute to do anything possible to play with it... I'm very sorry I had to pull out from one of my favorite tournaments. I was looking forward to playing here in Stuttgart very much, but unfortunately I will need to give it a rest."

"The Fed Cup tie over the weekend was too much for an injury of this type and I damaged it even more during my matches, but all I can say is it was worth it to bring our country back to the World Group. I will do all I can to be back as soon as my doctors allow me to! With love, Dani."

Last edited by Patti1989 on 25. April 2012 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 19:05 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 05:49

QFT. Liptak is an utter disgrace for allowing her to play that 4th rubber. I used to feel bad about him getting sacked last year-not any more.

Come on guys don't give someone other else the fault that Daniela has withdrawn. I first thought wth was she thinking bout to play the Fed Cup if she has known in back of her mind that she is prone for an injurie. Daniela did just play to matches in 2 days?! that's quite normal for a pro like her (i think) she didnt get to the semis of a tournament in that week or so that we could understand why she has withdrawn. I still dont understand her decisions sometimes + she had 2 days off to get on her single "?!?" she couldn't be tired at all! I hope it isn't bad, hope she's fit for next week.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 20:32 

Local Time:
Daniela mentioned in an interview during her two weeks training in Bratislava that she twisted her ankle...maybe that was what caused the stress reaction?

Daniela should have had the MRI BEFORE Fed Cup as she was already in pain - that was her mistake. That way she would have realised she couldn't play Fed Cup at all and therefore not making the injury worse.

Anyway, what will be will be, but this is starting to look a lot like 2008 :( and we all know how long she was sidelined then...

Knowing Daniela, if there's any chance she can play in Madrid she will, which is slightly worrying as we don't her to come back too soon and then totally ruin her chances of being fit for the summer.

It's so unfair that as soon as her shoulder is feeling better this happens :(

Any other information people on this forum know about stress reactions let us know. How long does it usually take to heal...??

Last edited by eddy on 25. April 2012 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 20:35 

Local Time:
Guys, I'm sick at heart over this. I hate the very idea of Daniela being in pain, and now not being able to do what she loves for awhile. We have all known about the heel problems since before the US Open, really, and it was bound to blow out at some point. Even though she hasn't played all that much of late, she never stops training or practicing, so it was never truly being rested...now it will have to be, so maybe that's the good thing here. I truly feel blessed that this happened now and not last month; I feared so much that this would happen before I could see her in Miami. May the Good Lord be with her during the healing process.
To Eddy's question: You can Google "difference between stress reaction and stress fracture" at the risk of making your head spin. My conclusion was the difference is not much, and to properly heal this takes 6-8 weeks, though one site said up to 17 (gulp). So I guess my fellow Italians will have to look elsewhere for someone to hoot and scream at vs. Vinci or Schiavone.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Last edited by Alex Isabel on 25. April 2012 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 20:53 

Local Time:
Daniela mentioned in an interview during her two weeks training in Bratislava that she twisted her ankle...maybe that was what caused the stress reaction?

Daniela should have had the MRI BEFORE Fed Cup as she was already in pain - that was her mistake. That way she would have realised she couldn't play Fed Cup at all and therefore not making the injury worse.

I don't think this could have happened. Daniela mentioned in an interview that the training in Marbella was making her heel situation worse-she also said that she had a MRI on Saturday night which must have given her the green light to play,so presumably the crucial damage happened afterwards. It was so foolish to play that fourth rubber-just asking for trouble. :cry:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. April 2012 21:27 

Local Time:
If you didn't know this was coming, you don't understand life....some lucky loser replaced Daniela and beat Dominika in 3 sets.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 26. April 2012 03:35 

Local Time:
|24. April 2024| 23:49
"The Fed Cup tie over the weekend was too much for an injury of this type and I damaged it even more during my matches, but all I can say is it was worth it to bring our country back to the World Group. I will do all I can to be back as soon as my doctors allow me to! With love, Dani."

I am going to take Daniela at her word that bringing Slovakia back to World Group was a big goal and accomplishment of hers. Maybe rankings are not driving all her decisions at every moment. I respect her for that and wish her well and can't wait to see her play again.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 26. April 2012 04:12 

Local Time:
You took the words right out of my mouth, Sail8. I won't argue with the other takes that Liptak could have benched Daniela. But look, we all saw the match, or at least the video of match point and the aftermath. That is pure elation from Dani. Absolute joy. Considering she played basically on one leg, and how it was her first ever win after being bageled in the 1st set, I believe this ranks as one of her top 5 victories ever. If she feels that deeply over playing for her country, more power to her. Her heel has been a ticking time bomb since last summer...it was going to blow at some point soon, so sitting out Fed Cup would very likely not have prevented it. I just think that when Daniela is 70 years old and remimiscing, what she did in Marbella will make her heart swell, and she won't think for a nanosecond how she dropped from #19 to #29 or wherever because she missed several tourneys afterward. Good take, Sail8.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 26. April 2012 19:48 

Local Time:
|25. April 2024| 05:49
This is absolutely heart breaking to hear.

We can all speculate about the Fed Cup. Daniela would have played because she wanted to play and she'd have been absolutely determined to play, I'm pretty sure that the final decision to play would have been hers. Maybe things would have been different if Slovakia had a better number three than Rybarikova because her Fed Cup performances have been dismal and Daniela would have felt she had to play if Slovakia had any chance of winning the tie.
Daniela played doubles in Stuttgart and played fairly well, but that wouldn't have helped matters either.

Daniela's always been someone that's pushed herself up to and sometimes beyond her physical limits. She played with a stress fracture in her foot from September 07 through to April 08, I just hope that this doesn't keep her out for as long as that did. It's so worrying that the injuries are piling up and that she can't get healthy, her left foot has troubled Daniela on and off since August last year and she's been having all the problems with her shoulder. I just hope that Daniela takes the time she needs to recover properly. Get well soon, Daniela.

Talking about ankle injuries, Andrea Petkovic just had to retire with a really nasty ankle injury against Azarenka.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 29. April 2012 15:26 

Local Time:
Benesova and strycova won the doubles at Stuttgart. So Daniela and gadjosova can feel a little better..

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2