Roland Garros Women's Legends        Daniela/ Francesca Schiavone bt Lucie Safarova/ Nathalie Tauziat 6-2 6-3        Mixed Legends: Daniela/Guy Forget bt Francesca Schiavone/Mansour Bahrami 4-6 6-3 10-4        Mixed Legends: Tatiana Golovin/Sebastien Grosjean bt Daniela/Cedric Pioline 4-6 6-2 12-10        Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 674 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 45  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Grand Slam Champion
 Post subject: Re: Australian Open, Melbourne
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 07:11 

Local Time:
|23. June 2024| 03:45
What will be daniela's ranking now? :cry:

don't know but she losses 900 points and the 3rd round gives 160 , so it's not quite good .

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 07:14 

Local Time:
|22. June 2024| 22:45
She showed glimpses in the first set and at the end of the second set of playing at a really high level. But she couldn't sustain it for long. Really, her performance here was not markedly worse than against either of her first two opponents. In fact, considering the opponent and the stats (28 to 37) you can make the case this was her best match of the tournament. But it goes to show she's not at a top fifteen or top twenty level anymore (now the rankings will show that) and she needed to be to win today against a player who played a strong match.

Disagree . Her best match was against Johansson , where she played fairly better and the stats were 38 to 38

I don't see it as an apples to apples comparison. Cornet, with her excellent movement, will take away a lot of winners and cause more errors by extending points. Johansson only has one career win against a top fifty player, so beating her in three sets is no great feat.

right now disappointed. Not so much to say about the match that hasn't already been said.

Once we get this a little bit further away, I think we will be happier. Overall, she played better at the Open than expected, showed glimpses of what she can do, but still needs to work on confidence and consistancy. But overall, I am not as pessimistic about 2009 as I were right after the bagel from Errani

I agree. She was very competitive against the world's number sixteen. It's doubtful we would have seen such a performance in the fall. Yes, she played Cornet close in New Haven, but the level of both players in that match was below where they were tonight. Bigger picture, she's not the player she was a year to a year and a half ago and she can be that player again. That is disappointing.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 07:15 

Local Time:
|23. June 2024| 05:45
Can someone please tell me what happened to Daniela's net game? I was cringing at some of those missed volleys.

Ludicrously inconsistent match from Daniela,one great point followed by one lousy one. it's not enough to get the job done against a top 20 player. I felt she was very upset at the end of the match,she couldn't wait to get off the court.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 07:19 

Local Time:
Disagree . Her best match was against Johansson , where she played fairly better and the stats were 38 to 38

I don't see it as an apples to apples comparison. Cornet, with her excellent movement, will take away a lot of winners and cause more errors by extending points. Johansson only has one career win against a top fifty player, so beating her in three sets is no great feat.

Just because she has only 1 victory against top fifty its different ? I don't think .. Daniela played better , and despite the errors she didn't make stupid mistakes as much as today . Besides , the most errors against Cornet were childish ..
Daniela played above my exceptations on the Open but the truth is that she keeps playing like this , she isn't going to return to top 20 ever .

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 07:33 

Local Time:
|23. June 2024| 04:45
This is just stunning and crushingly disappointing.

Daniela was playing so well in the first set, her groundstrokes were more potent, she was more aggressive and dictating the points. The turning point of the match was the the second game of the second set when Cornet was serving and she put a complete mishit right on the line and then got a netcord and what should have 0-40 to Daniela and a great chance for her to put Cornet away was instead 30 - 15 to Cornet, she held and the momentum of the match switched.
Cornet also started putting more topspin on the ball and her errors went down while Daniela's groundstrokes lacked the power they had in the first set and she started making more errors. Even in rallies that Cornet hit a winner from, Daniela had chances to hit a winner but was tentative and put in a safe ball that lacked power or depth and let Cornet back into the rally. There were a couple of these at the end of the second set and quite a few in the third. It indicated either a lack of confidence or either Daniela was sick to not have the power to put these shots away. I Wonder what the medical timeout was about. If it was due to the heat, then pretty much every other tournament will be cooler than this, but if she needed a break to rebuild her confidence or disrupt Cornet then it didn't work too well.

You've got to give Cornet credit as she did play well and hit a lot of good shots, but this really is one that got away from Daniela as she was controlling the match and had a lot of chances but didn't take too many them while Cornet generally took her chances.

Hopefully Daniela can salvage something from the doubles as a good run there and a good win would be a boost to her confidence. She really needs all the positives she can get right now. One of the lowest moments Daniela was in her career was when she lost to Asagoe in the Roland Garros first round and went down to 55 in the ranking, but she went on a run in the mixed doubles with Todd Woodbridge and got to the semi-final there and had a bit of fun playing for the first time in a long, long time and got some confidence back. A couple of weeks after that she got to the Eastbourne final, beating no 4 Mauresmo on the way, and Daniela was back in business. A similar run in the doubles here with Ai would do wonders for Daniela.

This is a tough loss, but Daniela showed that she has talent and ability and was the much better player in the first set and that she is capable of top tennis. It's just that she didn't sustain it. This is tough and a big challenge for Daniela but she is a strong and resilient person and she'll keep fighting and working hard and we know that she can come back from tough situations.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 07:35 

Local Time:
|23. June 2024| 11:45
I am sad that she lost after she play very good in the first set. Do Daniela always like this?
Good in 1st set, Medium in 2nd set and Terrible in 3rd set?

Daniela really need a good win in the future.
As for today, I will just say DO YOUR BEST DANKA IN THE FUTURE!

Life Is Tense When Daniela Hantuchova is The Main Hot Stuff Of Our Life.
Hahahahaha

Hey guys! Visit my blog if you have some times to spend okay!

Profile YIM

Site Admin
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 07:50 

Local Time:
Daniela was playing so well in the first set, her groundstrokes were more potent, she was more aggressive and dictating the points. The turning point of the match was the the second game of the second set when Cornet was serving and she put a complete mishit right on the line and then got a netcord and what should have 0-40 to Daniela and a great chance for her to put Cornet away was instead 30 - 15 to Cornet, she held and the momentum of the match switched.
Cornet also started putting more topspin on the ball and her errors went down while Daniela's groundstrokes lacked the power they had in the first set and she started making more errors. Even in rallies that Cornet hit a winner from, Daniela had chances to hit a winner but was tentative and put in a safe ball that lacked power or depth and let Cornet back into the rally. There were a couple of these at the end of the second set and quite a few in the third. It indicated either a lack of confidence or either Daniela was sick to not have the power to put these shots away. I Wonder what the medical timeout was about. If it was due to the heat, then pretty much every other tournament will be cooler than this, but if she needed a break to rebuild her confidence or disrupt Cornet then it didn't work too well.
Great match review, one of the best I ever read on this board (and on matt's too). Everything pretty much spot on. Daniela was way too hesitant and passive, I really hope she can get it together. :(

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 07:55 

Local Time:
Another thing: these French fans on Hisense are really getting on my tits. A right mob of ruffians that were cheering whenever Cornet won a point and making a racket at changeovers and they're keeping it up in the Santoro-Roddick match.
This sort of hooliganism wouldn't have been tolerated by Captain Bligh when he ran Australia 200 years ago, he'd have had them horsewhipped and flogged (or is that the same thing?)

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 08:00 

Local Time:
After her second round match, I hoped she could improve her consistency for this match today but she didn't.
OK, bye bye top 30, welcome to top 40 Daniela. If she continues like this, she won't be seeded at the Slams anymore, which means, we'll have to see more first round exits.

well her projected ranking is 32 right now, only Peng left in the draw that has a chance to push her down to 33. Of course Daniela has some points to defend before the next Slam/mandatory event, but she should be able to gain some as well, so I believe she will be seeded for the French, though only among 25-32 meaning a top 8 player in R32.

that's right .. if the slam ended right now she would be 458 points behind from nr 24 (to get the 9 - 16 in next slam) .
a good run at IW and Miami its necessary .

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 08:03 

Local Time:
Thanks, Martin, very nice of you to say so.

I always find that you're very knowledgeable and that so many of your posts are informative and increase my understanding of tennis.

banned
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 08:12 

Local Time:
|23. June 2024| 14:45
I don't know what to think exactly. On the on hand it seems like a minor hitch in something without equal. How it went down or kept it from flight.

Here in the first set Cornet defeated her self. Misrepresented her emotions in her efforts. She brought that fight home and saw winning as paramount to her shortcomings.

I am left with reminents of my aspirations to push around as if the pieces were somehow sufficient. A love so great, and a thimble to keep it.

Then I wonder what is the point in seeking something where there evidently is a major absence of fidelity, of passion. Fa what, friendship and the misery of courtesy. Bicycle races award stuffed animals to the victor. What heaping helping of horseshit you cling to! High hell and west of a hiatus, Noah had faired better. And speak of the blessing of company and good cheer -- dare not the hearts harvest we find only in the most special things. Satr. Can we break this undivided attention? Bloody intrigue, I'll say. Holy mother of great importance, has your son awoken the spiritual fire within!

In the end it was the importance of accuracy and consistency. I can't praise the effort I don't see. Every small chance in this world is a downsizing. In matter of such as these, is it really nessesary to place all will, forgein and domestic, on the shelf? Food is taken from the plate to the mouth by individuals who are not trained in culinary skills. The dangers are nie.

Can one ever feel satisfied with losing?

When the challenge is greater than you, it leaves desire for more -- to be a better tennis player. The challenge remains.

Losing for having wanted. Absolution is the only recourse that makes sense. Projecting further yeilds greater loss still in this case.

The context is not trivial. Forego the essence of life and the soul will be left in poverty. The most taxed beasts of burden can reap a fullness in life.

Last edited by Heaven to the 8's on 23. January 2009 10:45, edited 3 times in total.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 08:21 

Local Time:
Saturday , 24 January 2008

Court 8 11:00 AM Start

Men's Doubles - 2nd Round
Simone Bolelli(ITA)/Andreas Seppi(ITA)vs.Philipp Petzschner(GER)/Alexander Peya(AUT)

Men's Doubles - 2nd Round
Mahesh Bhupathi(IND)[3]/Mark Knowles(BAH)[3]vs.Igor Kunitsyn(RUS)/Dmitry Tursunov(RUS)

Women's Doubles - 2nd Round
Daniela Hantuchova(SVK)[9]/Ai Sugiyama(JPN)[9]vs.Vera Dushevina(RUS)/Olga Savchuk(UKR)

Mixed Doubles - 1st Round
Nadia Petrova(RUS)/Max Mirnyi(BLR)vs.Zi Yan(CHN)[2]/Mark Knowles(BAH)[2]

Site Admin
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 08:43 

Local Time:
Thanks, Martin, very nice of you to say so.

I always find that you're very knowledgeable and that so many of your posts are informative and increase my understanding of tennis.
Thank you, I am glad you think so. ;)

Site Admin
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 09:17 

Local Time:
OK, bye bye top 30, welcome to top 40 Daniela. If she continues like this, she won't be seeded at the Slams anymore, which means, we'll have to see more first round exits.
It also means that Daniela will have more chances to play top players and get that important win. Remember the Hingis match in Doha 2007? ;)

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 09:27 

Local Time:
according to my calculations (please tell me if its wrong) the rank is going to be +/- like this
(with the AO points so far)

25.Agnes Szavay 2059
26.Ai Sugiyama 2030
27.Sybille Bammer1899
28.Na Li 1718
29.Alisa Kleybanova 1710 Still playing
30.Alona Bondarenko 1666 Still playing
31.Aleksandra Wozniak 1651
32.Daniela Hantuchova 1632
33.Sara Errani 1618
34.Iveta Benesova 1580
35.Shuai Peng 1566 Still Playing

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 674 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 45  Next