Roland Garros Women's Legends        Daniela/ Francesca Schiavone bt Lucie Safarova/ Nathalie Tauziat 6-2 6-3        Mixed Legends: Daniela/Guy Forget bt Francesca Schiavone/Mansour Bahrami 4-6 6-3 10-4        Mixed Legends: Tatiana Golovin/Sebastien Grosjean bt Daniela/Cedric Pioline 4-6 6-2 12-10        Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 674 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 45  Next
Author Enter your Message here

banned
 Post subject: Re: Australian Open, Melbourne
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 15:03 

Local Time:
|24. June 2024| 22:26
Like Shaza, she'll be sorely missed.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 15:16 

Local Time:
Totally shocked about Venus... I watched most of the first set and was kinda stunned when i saw the end result.

I personally like both the Williams sisters.
Women's tennis would not be where it is today if it wasn't for them. Media/television coverage would not be anywhere near as vast either, so we wouldn't see as many of Daniela's matches.
If you ask non-tennis fans to name a female tennis player then 9 times out of 10 they'd probably say one of the Williams sisters.
Besides the popularity they have given to the game, they also both have great games, and despite not always focusing on the small tournaments, they are there when it counts, and I don't think they can be blamed for this.

Overall, i don't really mind the Williams sisters. But their attitude can be a bit annoying at times. Serena more than Venus... It's one thing for Serena to be confident with her own abilities, but sometimes she comes across as pompous and rude - just like, so full of herself. Not to suggest that she always comes across this way, more when she isn't seen as the favourite for an upcoming tournament. Like just last week, when she lost to Dementieva in Sydney. She said she gave the game away. I don't totally disagree that she did. But other players would have worded it much better - like they were tired, or something. I just think it doesn't take much to show people respect and generally she's disrespectful if anything.

I totally agree however about what they've done for tennis. They've really brought women's tennis to an all new level. Give it another 5 years and the new batch of youngsters on the tour will have Serena and Venus as their role models.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that i think they totally get a bad rap about the lack of tournaments they play. One of the commentators remarked about Clijsters and Henin and how they retired relatively young... The Williams sisters have been apart (and at the top) of the game for so long now... If anything they've got the formula right, playing less tournaments and not over exerting themselves.

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

hellene fan
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 16:25 

Local Time:
|24. June 2024| 13:26
Looks like Dementieva will now make the semi-final :roll: Hopefully Stosur or Cibulkova can stop her.[/b]

if there is one player who deserves a grand slam is dementieva.i would like to see her having one before to retire
about sisters,i agree with asj01 from his point of view other than this bmc and hypo are right.
after venus exit,for sure a surprize quarterfinalist

Site Admin
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 16:37 

Local Time:
Don't turn this thread into a discussion about Venus Williams. There are other threads for that . btw. glad she is out. :lol:
I personally like both the Williams sisters.
Women's tennis would not be where it is today if it wasn't for them. Media/television coverage would not be anywhere near as vast either, so we wouldn't see as many of Daniela's matches.
If you ask non-tennis fans to name a female tennis player then 9 times out of 10 they'd probably say one of the Williams sisters.
Besides the popularity they have given to the game, they also both have great games, and despite not always focusing on the small tournaments, they are there when it counts, and I don't think they can be blamed for this.

I disagree. Non-tennis fans would say Sharapova 9 times out of 10. As for TV coverage, in the US where the WS are most popular women's tennis gets almost zero coverage in comparison to ATP, Australian channels cover only majors and show only Australian players, in Europe we have Eurosport. But do you really think the WS have as much impact on ESP tennis coverage? As for the popularity of womens tennis, they surely contributed to its popularity in the US, not as much in Europe and Australia though. Don't overrate them. Women's tennis would survive perfectly even without them. As for their great games, that's a matter of taste. I personally prefer something different. And I blame them for not being committed to the game. On the other hand they would get injured if they played more, although they never played many tournaments even when they were younger and healthy.
That's all I am going to write about the WS in this thread. If you wanna reply, do it in the WTA subforum pls.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 16:44 

Local Time:

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 17:12 

Local Time:
Don't turn this thread into a discussion about Venus Williams. There are other threads for that . btw. glad she is out. :lol:

Sorry, went a bit off topic.

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 18:56 

Local Time:
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/match_points/2009/01/nerve-center-ha.htmlGee Daniela and the press are like oil and water,they just don't mix together well!

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 20:45 

Local Time:
|24. June 2024| 11:26
I think it's normal for the press to say that .. Daniela was kinda "in the dark" during the '08 season due to her injury .. On other hand Cornet had a good '08 when she rised to the top 20 .. Besides that Daniela struggled a little in the 2nd round while Cornet won 6-1 , 6-0 .
The major advantage in Daniela's game is experience .. SF last year and 6 years more of experience , so I'm hoping to see a great match ..

Just to mention , we all talk about the EXCESS of Daniela's UE but , in the 1st round, Cornet hit 12 winners to 34 UE .. That's not very good either .. in 2nd round besides her 61 60 win she hit 17UE anyway (to 21 winners) , so we'll probably see a show of UE :x

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 20:50 

Local Time:

Match Analysis: Hantuchova vs. Cornet

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 21:02 

Local Time:
|24. June 2024| 14:26
I hope ES will show the match...but I have a feeling that they will show Djokovic match.Anyways,it will be a tough game,but experience of Dani can help her very much.Cornet is a good player,but I'm sure Dani will win.Good luck,Daniela !

Site Admin
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 21:08 

Local Time:
I hope ES will show the match...but I have a feeling that they will show Djokovic match.Anyways,it will be a tough game,but experience of Dani can help her very much.Cornet is a good player,but I'm sure Dani will win.Good luck,Daniela !

well ES is based in France, so we have a slight advantage there.

Just to mention , we all talk about the EXCESS of Daniela's UE but , in the 1st round, Cornet hit 12 winners to 34 UE .. That's not very good either .. in 2nd round besides her 61 60 win she hit 17UE anyway (to 21 winners) , so we'll probably see a show of U

very good point there.

Profile WWW

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 21:11 

Local Time:
|24. June 2024| 14:26
I'm bringing memories from last Wimbledon back around. There was a match Daniela vs Serena. Daniela was leading the game after winning the 1st set. Then, she was leading the game during the second set too. And suddenly Serena had some kind of injury! I don't want to blame it on Serena, maybe she really had it. I was disgusted what she was doing after medical help. Saying that "she really needed to have a shower as she was all in fluid" didn't make any sense to me. It was to be a short-break. It lasted something like 1,5 hour. After that everything turned up as Daniela was really confused with all that mess. Serena made use of it. All experts after that match said it was a "psychological game". And this is just one example of her behaviours.

I am really impressed with all that good things she put into woman tennis. As well as her sister. They definitely are recognizable players. Maybe even the most. I don't even dare to question their skills, I just want to say that they sometimes don't play "fair".

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 21:42 

Local Time:
Just to mention , we all talk about the EXCESS of Daniela's UE but , in the 1st round, Cornet hit 12 winners to 34 UE .. That's not very good either .. in 2nd round besides her 61 60 win she hit 17UE anyway (to 21 winners) , so we'll probably see a show of U

very good point there.[/quote]

Yeah , and still she just dropped 8 games so far with a total of 51 UE to 33 winners against Daniela's 79 UE and 62 Winners ;)
If we see a "racio" it's 0.64 winners to 1 UE for Cornet and 0.78 for Daniela , so , based on statistics , Daniela has the upper hand :D

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 22:14 

Local Time:
|24. June 2024| 08:26

Match Analysis: Hantuchova vs. Cornet

Thanks. Good unbiased analysis... it basically says what we know: if Danka is on, Conert will have to dig deep to have a chance. I just hope daniela's shots stay in place and that she doesnt start to misfire while on winning positions. Just by doing that I think she has a good chance to prevail... And if her serve is decent, well, more chance even ;) Bring it Danka!

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. January 2009 23:03 

Local Time:
hi guys :) Yesterday i saw Dani and Ai practising together for their doubles match. Dani spokes a lot with Ai"s Mum and they had a lot of fun. Ai and dani spokes much together,they were laughing and they had a lot of fun. After the training i asked dani to get a picture with me, but she only says later, and that altough there were no other fans :( mh
but i could make a picture with ai :) and dani gave portas a ball, and portas gave it to me :D and i make a picture with petrova and mauresmo.
the doubles match was very good. dani make some good shots and ai and dani seems to be very confident. great :) they smiled often in this match. but also they won easily because the aussi girls make a lot of UE. But all in all Hantuyama played good. Hope i will see them on saturday again. Today i will see danis match in Hisense arena :-) And i will go now to melbourne park to see her practise maybe.
Goodbye! :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 674 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 45  Next