Roland Garros Women's Legends        Daniela/ Francesca Schiavone bt Lucie Safarova/ Nathalie Tauziat 6-2 6-3        Mixed Legends: Daniela/Guy Forget bt Francesca Schiavone/Mansour Bahrami 4-6 6-3 10-4        Mixed Legends: Tatiana Golovin/Sebastien Grosjean bt Daniela/Cedric Pioline 4-6 6-2 12-10        Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 674 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 45  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Grand Slam Champion
 Post subject: Re: Australian Open, Melbourne
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 19:42 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 17:18
and it was definitely more of case of it being a game Daniela lost rather than Cornet winningThat's a line I frequently read on this and other tennis forums when a power player loses to a retriever who would get outgunned if that power player played consistently. Most of the time it's used as a consolation or to show that if the aforementioned power player bothered she would've won. It's quite a misleading concept though as it leads you to think that Daniela was in control of the match while in fact she wasn't, at least not in the last two sets.

I didn't mean it as a dis-credit to Cornet, but it seemed when both players were on song Daniela seemed to be the stronger. I realise it's not fair to say that any power player that plays a retriever, inherently gets tagged as the 'better player' and as the player with 'the game on their racquet'. But i think it was an accurate observation for this game. Daniela gifted Cornet a hell of a lot of points, yet she managed to remain competitive. Often Cornet didn't have to do something spectacular to a clench an extended rallie, she'd just loop a ball back, Daniela would allow it to bounce (because she didn't seem confident to appraoch the net) and the point would start again until Daniela made an error. I just felt that Daniela didn't have that killer instinct to go for that final blow a lot of the time - probably because she was hitting so many unforced errors (something which i don't think was entirely a testament to how well Cornet played).

BMC mentioned the margin of error over the net. That is about standard for tennis.

Indeed, but it seemed like even Daniela's routine shots have a low clearance. I realise that it seems like i'm making a rather amatuerish observation, but i'd venture to say that her clearance is lower than most.

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 22:03 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 08:18
I thought it was a pretty low % shot that backhand. They were engaged in a backhand crosscourt rally when suddenly Daniela hit the ball dtl. Quite risky imo, and judging from camera close-up on her face she didn't seem convinced it would get in, you could see what... a relief. Such shots might be even lower % than a dropshot, maybe 2-3 times out of 10 they get in, but that's just a guess. It's all a matter of confidence anyway. She knows how to strike the ball.Come on Martin you know as well as I do that the BH DTL is Daniela's signature shot,I've seen her nail hundreds of them throughout her career from a lot less promising positions than the point in question.

Good point about the slice BH. I remember an interview with Daniela where she said that the speed and power of todays players basically rendered the slice obsolete. I don't believe she feels it's a viable shot outside of a grass court.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 04:02 

Local Time:
Come on Martin you know as well as I do that the BH DTL is Daniela's signature shot,I've seen her nail hundreds of them throughout her career from a lot less promising positions than the point in question.To be honest I don't buy into this "trademark shot" stuff. Most of the time it's an image created by media that are quick to jump on the bandwagon, needless to say how inaccurate such image can be. Daniela's backhand down the line was labeled as her trademark shot by tennis journalists after she beat Hingis at IW 2002, where I admit her backhand dtl was fast and accurate shot, which caused a lot of damage (at that time you could even see her hit inside out backhands, but she doesn't do it anymore). Apparently it has maintained that label until now. Once you have a label it's tough to get rid of it, that's how it goes. I believe that nowadays she hits her backhand with the rackethead more opened than she did in 2002 to add a bit of topspin, relies mainly on depth and accuracy and doesn't go for dtl winners as often as she used to when she emerged on the tour. It's easy to figure out why, because in general it's a low percentage shot and when Daniela isn't confident and her footwork is a mess like now, she misses. And I've seen her miss hundreds of them throughout her career. To add one rather ammateurish observation, it seems to me that since 2003 she doesn't put as much body rotation into the shot making it a little bit softer, but maybe someone will call me on this. Jankovic's bh dtl could be named her signature shot, Daniela's not as much, especially not if we consider that forehand is her stronger groundstroke.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 06:32 

Local Time:
I must have missed the posts on Daniela's BH slice when i was online last night, but i'll comment about them now. I don't see any logic in not developing or improving her BH slice. It seems illogical to me to not use every shot in your arsenal in order to win a match. When you're lacking confidence a slice BH is considerably easier to nail - at least that's what i've found in my experience.

A BH slice would add a much needed safety shot into Daniela's game and i think it could only help overall. If played correctly the BH slice can also draw players into the net, a position a fair few players aren't comfortable in.

It's also a very logical approach shot...

I personally believe that Daniela needs to add the element of suprise and approach the net more often. She's a very accomplished volleyer and i find it almost stupid that she doesn't approach some of her strokes into the net. I just felt that so many times there was an easy put away at the net with her match against Cornet and she just didn't have the confidence to take the oppurtunity. I realise almost everyone (every commentator that marvels at any type of approach to the net heralds it as the greatest shot ever) thinks that the solution to anyone's game is adding more net-play... but it just seems like such a logical progression for Daniela.

Maybe even the occasional serve-volley could be an option.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 08:15 

Local Time:
^^ But you do realize how slow she is when coming forward?

Site Admin
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 09:15 

Local Time:
Daniela's doubles match against Szavay/Vesnina starts at 11am (1am CET) on the MCA, livestream should be working.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 14:36 

Local Time:
^^ But you do realize how slow she is when coming forward?

This is true.

banned
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 14:37 

Local Time:
Good point about the slice BH. I remember an interview with Daniela where she said that the speed and power of todays players basically rendered the slice obsolete. I don't believe she feels it's a viable shot outside of a grass court.

She is not wrong. I wouldn't use it to do anything but correct (for now) the chipshot she is useing (or were those supposed to be DS's?).

It's also a very logical approach shot...

Not really.

banned
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 14:48 

Local Time:
Maybe even the occasional serve-volley could be an option.

A middle age couple in Taipei were watching the match.

"She going to hit dropshot again. See I tell you she hit dropshot again."

A student in Buenos Aires was watching the match . . .

banned
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 22:55 

Local Time:
I have things to say about the match, her "form", upcoming matches, ect. Too much to say. Besides, the first thing that comes to your mind is directly connected to that last thing. I couldn't really have to go much farther than this, could I?

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 26. January 2009 01:47 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 01:18
Daniela and Ai won the first set in doubles, 6-1. The set played closer than that as they saved all seven break points.

They thrashed their opponents in the second set 6-1, 6-2. Up next, either Black & Huber again or perhaps Azarenka & Zvonareva.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 26. January 2009 02:20 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 06:18
well , nice result in doubles ..
The game was more difficult than the 6-1 , 6-2 sounds like , but Daniela closed the match with an awesome point !
I think that Sugiyama is a really good partner for Daniela .. She's always so happy on court , smiling and all that .. I think Daniela should get some of her "happiness" on court .
Congrats to them and GL for the QF

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 26. January 2009 02:21 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 03:18
Dani and Ai just won 6-1, 6-2... They looked pretty happy. It was cute seeing how many japanese fans Ai has. Danka and her signed stuff after the win...

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 26. January 2009 02:40 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 07:18
is it just me, or were they as relaxed as on a sunday walk in the park.
Of course it was close sometimes, but you could really feel that Dani and Ai knew all the time that they can't lose this one.
Like Artur said, they were smiling, happy and joking. Fascinating. Where does this great easiness come from? :lol:

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 26. January 2009 02:45 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 06:18
Like Artur said, they were smiling, happy and joking. Fascinating. Where does this great easiness come from? :lol:

I don't know but i would like to see that more often ;)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 674 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 45  Next