Roland Garros Women's Legends        Daniela/ Francesca Schiavone bt Lucie Safarova/ Nathalie Tauziat 6-2 6-3        Mixed Legends: Daniela/Guy Forget bt Francesca Schiavone/Mansour Bahrami 4-6 6-3 10-4        Mixed Legends: Tatiana Golovin/Sebastien Grosjean bt Daniela/Cedric Pioline 4-6 6-2 12-10        Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 674 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 45  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Grand Slam Champion
 Post subject: Re: Australian Open, Melbourne
PostPosted: 23. January 2009 22:47 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 04:45
hey everyone. Today it is my last day at the AO. I will watch the practise of ai and dani and will ask her a last time for a picture ;) then i will watch their double match. Hope they will win this. But i think so.
Very sad she lost in singles :-( i think the timeout was only physiological, but i dont know. She was really angry after her loss and i also see portas very angry and he discuss with the player box of dani.
so i hope she gets some confidence of the doubles with ai.
Many greetings :)

banned
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 02:30 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 13:45
r1 55 0-0
she hits a dropshot. her hips point down. ballo goes in the net.

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 05:18 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 03:45
Hantuyama vs. Vera Dushevina / Olga Savchuk
15:0 .. 15:15 .. 30:15 .. GP .. *1-0
15:0 .. 30:0 .. 30:15 .. 30:30 .. BP .. DEUCE .. BP .. 2-0* :)
0:15 .. 15:15 .. 30:15 .. 30:30 .. BP .. *2-1 :(
0:15 .. 0:30 .. 15:30 .. BP .. 30:40 .. DEUCE .. BP .. DEUCE .. GP .. 2-2*
0:15 .. 15:15 .. 30:15 .. GP .. *3-2
0:15 .. 0:30 .. BP .. 4-2* :)
15:0 .. 30:0 .. GP .. *5-2
15:0 .. 15:15 .. 15:30 .. 30:30 .. GP .. DEUCE .. BP .. DEUCE .. GP .. 5-3*
0:15 .. 15:15 .. 15:30 .. 30:30 .. BP .. DEUCE .. BP .. *5-4 :(
0:15 .. 15:15 .. 15:30 .. 30:30 .. SP podme! .. 6-4* :)
Hantuyama win first set, 6-4 :)
0:15 .. 0:30 .. 15:30 .. 30:30 .. GP .. *1-0
0:15 .. 0:30 .. 15:30 .. 30:30 .. BP .. DEUCE .. BP .. 2-0* :)
15:0 .. 30:0 .. 30:15 .. GP .. *3-0
0:15 .. 0:30 .. BP .. 15:40 .. 4-0* :)
15:0 .. 30:0 .. 30:15 .. 30:30 hold! .. GP .. *5-0
0:15 .. 15:15 .. 30:15 .. 30:30 .. BP .. DEUCE .. MP .. DEUCE .. MP .. *6-1
Hantuyama win, 6-4, 6-1 :)

Last edited by nl2304 on 24. January 2009 06:26, edited 3 times in total.

Profile WWW

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 06:06 

Local Time:
So i sat through every agonising point of yesterdays game and i honestly think a fair few positives can be drawn from it. For the most part of the match, the game was entirely on Daniela's racquet. There were periods during the middle portion of the second set and the start of the third, where Alize was kinda maintaining control. But it seemed when Daniela was firing, it was her match to win.

I think Alize is the perfect counter to Daniela, particularly with Daniela's current temperament. She runs down a lot of balls, doesn't give Daniela a lot of pace to work with - meaning Daniela has to generate a lot of her own and if she's got Daniela on the run she seemed to be able to confidently finish her off.

A lot of the time points ended with 4 or 5 shot rallies, with Daniela having better court position where she'd just send one long or into the net. Alize managed to chase down a lot of balls and because Daniela was really reluctant to come to the net, there was really no easy points for her.

I honestly don't think Daniela played well overall and i think it's a testament to how solid her overall game is that she managed to dominate during portions of the match. She really coasted through that first set. She sorta randomly dropped her serve, but that seemed to be more of a result of her errors than Alize's good play.

I never really appreciated on television how small the margin for error is on Daniela's shots are, but her clearance over the net is so small. Because Alize tracked down so much it was usually just a matter of time before Daniela sailed one long or dragged a ball into the net. I think though, for the most part that Daniela's errors came from extended rallies, just attempting to finish Cornet off rather than just having a spate of dead points.

Someone mentioned before and i thought it was really insightful. Second or third game of the second set. Cornet basically lucked her way thru a service hold. She had a miss-hit which managed to drop on the baseline and a dead net cord. This was when Daniela was playing solid tennis and looked like taking an early lead during the second set. But then she followed up Cornet's lucky hold by dropping her serve and then it all seemed to go down from there.

While i think if Daniela cut some errors from her game, the match could easily have been hers, i have bring into question her net play. She seems entirely predictable whenever she approaches. She'll always, always go for the drop volley. Cornet has such fantastic movement so she really needed to at least attempt to spice things up if she wanted to win more net points. Also, and i can't be certain of this because i haven't really looked at any match statistics... But Daniela's serve after the first set really didn't seem very solid. It didn't even seem to set up the point well, let alone give her any free points and her first serve from memory never landed in when she was break point down. She started the match with an ace and seemed to get so many free points from time to time, but it just seemed that when things got tough her serve was no where to be found.

I think the forumla for beating players like Cornet is finishing them off at the net. Daniela doesn't have enough raw power - without having to hit a really fantastic shot - to be able to play within the lines and eventually hit a ball that Cornet can't run down. So many times Cornet would loop a ball back after being on the run and the point would start over because Daniela doesn't seem confident enough to generate her own pace.

Anyway, i've blabbed on enough.

As i've said, i think a lot of positives can be taken from the match seen as how Daniela has room for improvement and it was definitely more of case of it being a game Daniela lost rather than Cornet winning - and lets not forget that Cornet is ranked within the top 20 and is playing with a great deal of confidence at the moment.

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 06:24 

Local Time:
|15. June 2024| 21:45
^^Good report.

Daniela and Ai just won in doubles by the score of 6-4, 6-1 over Savchuk and Dushevina to move into the round of sixteen. I'm not sure how much a strong doubles run will help her singles game, but it certainly cannot hurt. If nothing else, doubles will force Daniela to work on and improve her net play, volleying and maybe even her drop shot. When Daniela hit that poor drop shot at 2-4 in the third set, the announcer went on and on about how bad a play it was. Except it wasn't so much a bad play, but bad execution of a good play. The reality is that tennis mandates that a player use a variety of different shots in order to keep her player off balance. Even if your serve is much better down the middle than to the line, you still have to go down wide quite a bit or else your opponent can just sit on the serve down the middle. Likewise, Daniela needs to keep mixing in drop shots, lobs, volleys from time to time. In that vein, she should really try and work on those shots. Developing that part of her game to where it's even decent, let alone a weapon, will make her conventional ball strikes all the more effective.

banned
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 06:29 

Local Time:
They have won the doubles match.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 06:42 

Local Time:
Good news about the doubles.

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Site Admin
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 06:42 

Local Time:
and it was definitely more of case of it being a game Daniela lost rather than Cornet winningThat's a line I frequently read on this and other tennis forums when a power player loses to a retriever who would get outgunned if that power player played consistently. Most of the time it's used as a consolation or to show that if the aforementioned power player bothered she would've won. It's quite a misleading concept though as it leads you to think that Daniela was in control of the match while in fact she wasn't, at least not in the last two sets.
When Daniela hit that poor drop shot at 2-4 in the third set, the announcer went on and on about how bad a play it was. Except it wasn't so much a bad play, but bad execution of a good play.Good observation, someone in the slovak forum also mentioned that it was a poorly selected shot. I didn't agree, it was played in the right time, just poorly executed. Nothing like the dropshots Daniela hit against Serena Williams at 2006 USO when she was serving for 1st set, which were indeed result of weak nerves and unwilligness to stay in longer rallies. Besides, nothing really worked for Daniela yesterday so why not try a dropshot. Had it landed in Cornet's side of the court the same commentator would have praised it.

Good win, albeit an expected one, in doubles.

banned
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 07:26 

Local Time:
^^Good report.

Daniela and Ai just won in doubles by the score of 6-4, 6-1 over Savchuk and Dushevina to move into the round of sixteen. I'm not sure how much a strong doubles run will help her singles game, but it certainly cannot hurt. If nothing else, doubles will force Daniela to work on and improve her net play, volleying and maybe even her drop shot. When Daniela hit that poor drop shot at 2-4 in the third set, the announcer went on and on about how bad a play it was. Except it wasn't so much a bad play, but bad execution of a good play. The reality is that tennis mandates that a player use a variety of different shots in order to keep her player off balance. Even if your serve is much better down the middle than to the line, you still have to go down wide quite a bit or else your opponent can just sit on the serve down the middle. Likewise, Daniela needs to keep mixing in drop shots, lobs, volleys from time to time. In that vein, she should really try and work on those shots. Developing that part of her game to where it's even decent, let alone a weapon, will make her conventional ball strikes all the more effective.

I'd say that she could work on her slices. She wants to cut under the ball anyways. Incorporate this into the repertoire. It is for defence (not the devistation a dropshot yields).

What I would do is for two days of practice (since she has this time):
Hit nothing but slices. Play just with the slice as a groundstroke. Seems to want one out wide. That could help the dropshot considerably too.

BMC mentioned the margin of error over the net. That is about standard for tennis. The mortar is raised when the ball is hit deep with topspin. It is a very important difference in professional tennis. It's more than just shoving the opponent back.

You'd think hitting tennis balls for X years, the errors should be almost nonexistent. At least it is entirely possible to eliminate them. It is part of the concept of "training" -- always raising the level of ability, bringing that to the arena. Do one thing one day. If the next day is the same . . . Most of it is mental. Daniela's physique has changed during her career but the strengthwise she is not making gains. There isn't much point in hitting a ball on a practice court if there isn't real beneficial feed back at this point. The skill always remains, take a year off and if the fittness level is good, abilty will be the same.

When learning to play, we "develop" skills; go from awkward to able. Then, in competition, we learn the strategic ins and outs. From there, a player bolsters aspects of his or her game to meet the needs of competition. After that, however, the learn curve goes flat. What wasn't realized through this process is not going to be actualized unless there is a concerted effort to go beyond the natural inclinations. It can uncomfortable even and players can seem to get worse for it. I swear you it works.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 08:40 

Local Time:
Good observation, someone in the slovak forum also mentioned that it was a poorly selected shot. I didn't agree, it was played in the right time, just poorly executed. Nothing like the dropshots Daniela hit against Serena Williams at 2006 USO when she was serving for 1st set, which were indeed result of weak nerves and unwilligness to stay in longer rallies. Besides, nothing really worked for Daniela yesterday so why not try a dropshot. Had it landed in Cornet's side of the court the same commentator would have praised it.Got to disagree with this for a number of reasons,firstly Alize had become very tight and had just played a very sloppy game to get broken so why not play a long rally to test her nerves out,and secondly Alize is very fast and had successfully chased down a number of drop shots previously.

I was in a real funk about this result yesterday. I honestly don't mind when players like Zvonereva and Venus blow Daniela away,but it really hurts when the opportunity for victory is there and isn't taken. I have been encouraged by what I've seen in Melbourne,her game is coalescing back together and I agree that one good win is all she needs to get back on track.What I would do is for two days of practice (since she has this time):
Hit nothing but slices. Play just with the slice as a groundstroke. Seems to want one out wide. That could help the dropshot considerably too.I'd like to see her incorporate a FH dropshot into her arsenal,as she seems to play it exclusively off the backhand wing. Maybe the "Dropshot Dragon" can teach her her a few new tricks!

Site Admin
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 09:14 

Local Time:
Cornet played a sloppy game because she was serving for the match, in the next game she wasn't not nearly as tentative, it was Daniela's turn to be nervous because she had to win that game to stay in the match, so it's quite hard to tell whether Daniela would be testing Alize or rather herself if she continued rallying. You are right that Alize is a very fast player, but Daniela was inside the court while the Frenchwoman 2-3 metres behind the baseline, thus making dropshot a reasonable option. Besides, I recall maybe one max. two dropshots Daniela hit before that one.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 09:49 

Local Time:
Cornet played a sloppy game because she was serving for the match, in the next game she wasn't not nearly as tentative, it was Daniela's turn to be nervous because she had to win that game to stay in the match, so it's quite hard to tell whether Daniela would be testing Alize or rather herself if she continued rallying. You are right that Alize is a very fast player, but Daniela was inside the court while the Frenchwoman 2-3 metres behind the baseline, thus making dropshot a reasonable option. Besides, I recall maybe one max. two dropshots Daniela hit before that one.Nope,Alize got broken at *4-1 in the final set and if Daniela holds her serve then it's *4-3 and the pressure is really on. It was just my impression,but I felt Daniela was starting to rally well again-she hit a gorgeous BH DTL to win the opening point of the game.

banned
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 14:45 

Local Time:
Good observation, someone in the slovak forum also mentioned that it was a poorly selected shot. I didn't agree, it was played in the right time, just poorly executed. Nothing like the dropshots Daniela hit against Serena Williams at 2006 USO when she was serving for 1st set, which were indeed result of weak nerves and unwilligness to stay in longer rallies. Besides, nothing really worked for Daniela yesterday so why not try a dropshot. Had it landed in Cornet's side of the court the same commentator would have praised it.Got to disagree with this for a number of reasons,firstly Alize had become very tight and had just played a very sloppy game to get broken so why not play a long rally to test her nerves out,and secondly Alize is very fast and had successfully chased down a number of drop shots previously.

I was in a real funk about this result yesterday. I honestly don't mind when players like Zvonereva and Venus blow Daniela away,but it really hurts when the opportunity for victory is there and isn't taken. I have been encouraged by what I've seen in Melbourne,her game is coalescing back together and I agree that one good win is all she needs to get back on track.What I would do is for two days of practice (since she has this time):
Hit nothing but slices. Play just with the slice as a groundstroke. Seems to want one out wide. That could help the dropshot considerably too.I'd like to see her incorporate a FH dropshot into her arsenal,as she seems to play it exclusively off the backhand wing. Maybe the "Dropshot Dragon" can teach her her a few new tricks!

Dropshots aren't astoundingly difficult to execute. Some people are naturals, others find it difficult to control a low velocity shot in a competitive situation.

The racket a player uses and style of BH/FH factor in. If I had to choose a racket (this is based upon my best guess -- I'm not a DS artist) I'd use a short, headlight racket, ~12-13 oz (EDIT maybe lighter), warm sweetspot, might try low tension Kevlar.

The racket she uses is balanced at 33cm (longish). It has something of an unreliable reaction when the o-ports are/are not fully flexed (this technology is mysterious in it's function -- strings stronger than the frame?). It is light weight -- which is maneuverable -- but most all of the weight is strike weight. No heft to back you up -- you're on you own. It IS designed to hit groundstrokes quickly (dropshot needs to be a slower shot). It feels good moving forward. It is not a great deflecting racket. If there is a Prince racket with swordplay, I'd like know about it. It is good for difficult shots, pickup off the baseline, up high (it doesn't like to come over the top big), on the run, five feet off the service line and moving. Stuff one needs (ok, feels a little like a tool toward the median -- its got a very palatable strike if you aren't fingering the ball).

Dropshots are usually a modification of a slice BH. She doesn't have a flourishing slice backhand that I have seen. Registered FH side dropshots are less common, FH slice is less common.

Which brings me to my next point: Why hit a DS if you have an direct FH/BH?
--It takes over a second for a DS to go baseline to the net. Add to that the lefthand knows what the righthand is doing, theoretically, the opponent could take it out of the air. If used frequently and with any success, opponents are going to be anticipating the shot from the start.
--If the opponent is in a DS susceptible position, the play is easy, a putaway shot or a GS is usually the high percentage play (even on a bad day +80% returns to the otherside neutral or better). If the opponent is hitting 6 feet behind the baseline, they will have forward momentum returning to position anyhow. (Unless they sit for a crosscourt exchange -- which implies they are not on the WTA tour)
--The DS that the opponent gets to (how good are you?) makes for an unpredictable confrontation at the net. It is legitimate tennis and makes things more interesting. It does add dimension to the competition. For fun OK. Lots of points (like a 1/3) are disregarded in tennis.

Anyways, if she does use DS's, it always nice to see them work (the fuck if I care).

AND I think an effective slice is something she needs both FH and BH. It could bring several points back to her that she otherwise loses. Especially against big hitters. Points for big wins. DS is a variation on a point one already has an edge on. Needs to stick.

Last edited by today on 24. January 2009 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

banned
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 15:23 

Local Time:
I'd also forget about disguising the DS. Just focus on hitting the thing short. It's being televised as is. Use more spontaneity.
;)

Site Admin
PostPosted: 24. January 2009 19:32 

Local Time:
Interesting thing about the slices, I was saying for years that she could make a good use of them if she incorporated them into her game, mainly in defense to get back in position. I don't see her ever using it as an approach shot like Mauresmo used to do or simply a rallying shot like Federer does. Alas Daniela is like it or not an older player not susceptible to learn it quickly anymore. As you wrote in one of your previous posts the learn curve goes flat. Using double-hander doesn't help either. On the other hand we saw her using backhand slice as a defensive shot in the past, but you could easily tell that it's not a shot she is too comfortable hitting, usually the clearance over the net is too high, suggesting that the backspin isn't too heavy making the shot bounce a bit higher, and more importantly it often lacks depth, which in combination with higher bounce makes it not as affective as a defensive shot. Still better than those moonballs she hits from her backhand side when under pressure I guess. As for forehand slice, that's a sci-fi for me, although Vaidisova, when she still meant something, used that shot quite effectively in defense, making up for her awkward footwork.
btw. Just out of curiosity, how do you know Daniela's racket is balanced at 33cm?
Nope,Alize got broken at *4-1 in the final set and if Daniela holds her serve then it's *4-3 and the pressure is really on. It was just my impression,but I felt Daniela was starting to rally well again-she hit a gorgeous BH DTL to win the opening point of the game.
I thought it was a pretty low % shot that backhand. They were engaged in a backhand crosscourt rally when suddenly Daniela hit the ball dtl. Quite risky imo, and judging from camera close-up on her face she didn't seem convinced it would get in, you could see what... a relief. Such shots might be even lower % than a dropshot, maybe 2-3 times out of 10 they get in, but that's just a guess. It's all a matter of confidence anyway. She knows how to strike the ball.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 674 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 45  Next