Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : Off-Topic : Sports

Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Highest Paid Teams in World Sport
PostPosted: 30. March 2010 02:37 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 04:52
Interesting list

"The New York Yankees are the best-paid team in global sport measured by average first-team wages, ahead of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea and basketball’s Dallas Mavericks, according to the inaugural Annual Review of Global Sports Salaries (ARGSS), to be published this week by sportingintelligence.
The average first-team pay at the Yankees was £89,897 per player per week in 2009, or £4.7m per player last year, when the Yankees won the World Series – the biggest prize in baseball. Real Madrid’s stars earned £4.2m per year each in the period reviewed for Spanish football. The corresponding figures were £4.1m at Barca, £3.59m at Chelsea and £3.56m at the Mavericks."

The top 12: 1) New York Yankees, 2) Real Madrid, 3) Barcelona, 4) Chelsea, 5) Dallas Mavericks, 6) Los Angeles Lakers, 7) Detroit Pistons, 8) Cleveland Cavaliers, 9) New York Knicks :lol: :lol: , 10) Boston Celtics, 11) Phoenix Suns, 12) RC Bangalore.

blue webmaster
 Post subject: Re: Highest Paid Teams in World Sport
PostPosted: 30. March 2010 15:32 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 10:52
you know, that's what makes me doubt about capitalism. 90000 dollars per week is absolutely insane and disproportionate!
Millions of people are paying just a few dollars which gather in the pockets of the players. You might say, the people don't really pay for them, because it's mainly financed by advertisements ans sponsorship, but the companies who sponsor them get their money from selling products with higher prices.

As a sidejob I deliver the morning newspapers and get 15 Eurocents (22 American cents) per newspaper.
If I wanted to earn as much as a player of the Yankees, I had to deliver nearly 70.000 newspapers every day!
Nobody can tell me that the work of a baseball player is as worth as delivering seventy thousand newspapers. As I said, it's totally disproportionate!
Imagine what could be done with the money if the players realized that it's not necessary to keep all the money. Maybe financing the american healthcare system?

I'm not a communist and I appreciate my financial freedom, but this effect isn't good and people have to realize it, because it increases the gap between rich and poor dramatically.
Sure it's not only in sports. Politicians, bankers and all those who believe they are famous and remain in the media do it the same way.

There are plans to use 800.000 Euro of tax money in order to keep the ATP tournament in Hamburg. In my opinion this can't be serious! How many teachers could be sold or how many streets could be renewed with all the money that otherwise would go to a handful of tennis players.

Tennis players and other athletes are doing a great and hard job, have to pay a lot for traveling, hotels and so on, but more than 1.000.000 dollars for a Grand Slam win is way too much.

I hope some day they realize it...

Board index : Off-Topic : Sports