Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : Off-Topic : Sports

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Enter your Message here

media master
 Post subject: Olympic Games Beijing 2008
PostPosted: 28. July 2008 18:20 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 07:01
Officially the Olympics start at friday 8 August with the opening ceremony, but the football tournament already start at wednesday.

I think many people of us will follow this, not only for Daniela but also for other sports.

I can't wait till the swimming,athletics and volleyball events start

My fave volleyball team is the Polish one , my fave athletes are 400m sprinter Jeremy Wariner and 100m hurdles Susanna Kallur. In swimming i like the Dutch Marleen Veldhuis.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fan of Daniela Hantuchova since the Australian Open 2002 Other players: Azarenka,Wozniacki,Henin,Safarova,Benesova

Site Admin
 Post subject: Re: Olympic Games Beijing 2008
PostPosted: 28. July 2008 19:21 

Local Time:
Yep, I believe I might watch some volleyball. :lol:
I used to follow athletics almost religiously, but not anymore. Can't get into all those youngsters, where are Johnsons, Sotomayors, Bubkas, Gebresellasies (spelling), Riedels, Christies, Železnýs etc? Will follow it anyway, but not as much.
Beijing is in a pretty craptastic timezone for us Europeans. Most of the action will take place when people are working. Another reason why China should have never hosted this event.

btw. there are better pics of Kasia. ;)

media master
PostPosted: 28. July 2008 20:15 

Local Time:
some of them are yes, but i kinda like this one, i like her smile :D

i hope they will perform better on the Olympics then during the Grand Prix. At least this time they will select all their top players

I guess it's time for some new legends , you mentioned Bubka , well at least he already have a new (female) version of him lol

Michael Johnson is a legend, i will never forget his 19.32 from Atlanta , most amazing race ever.

Fan of Daniela Hantuchova since the Australian Open 2002 Other players: Azarenka,Wozniacki,Henin,Safarova,Benesova

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. July 2008 00:14 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 00:01
I have an open question and one I never hear asked: why does anyone care about the Olympics? To me, it's a bunch of athletes I haven't heard of playing sports I don't care about. Since when does anyone care about swimming, archery, diving, badminton, canoeing, fencing or shooting. How about the field events? They boil down to who can throw an inanimate object like a rock or a spear the farthest or jumps the longest.
What I don't get is the disconnect between the quadrennial Olympics and the rest of the time. Nearly all of the Olympic sports have no significant television or live event presence the rest of the time, yet it's totally different now.
To answer the question, I'll only follow tennis and basketball because I follow them regularly. Maybe I'll check out some of the wrestling or judo because I'm a casual MMA fan. Baseball is my favorite sport, but the major leagues do not stop for the Olympics, so that event means nothing because none of the best players are there.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 29. July 2008 10:26 

Local Time:
Yep, I believe I might watch some volleyball. :lol:
I used to follow athletics almost religiously, but not anymore. Can't get into all those youngsters, where are Johnsons, Sotomayors, Bubkas, Gebresellasies (spelling), Riedels, Christies, Železnýs etc? Will follow it anyway, but not as much.
Beijing is in a pretty craptastic timezone for us Europeans. Most of the action will take place when people are working. Another reason why China should have never hosted this event.

btw. there are better pics of Kasia. ;)

but big market

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 29. July 2008 11:18 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 06:01
@pmrd44
I know what you mean, for two weeks everything is about sports, though normally nobody cares for most of it.
It's some kind of a fever, either you get it or you don't.

Well, I got this fever and I can't wait for the games to begin :bounce:

Yes, competitions start at night and finish around afternoon, but I will watch as much as I can.

Especially I'm looking forword to the fencing competitions, cause I fence for over 5 years..
I really want to win either Peter Joppich (three times World Champion!) or Benjamin Kleibrink, both German Foil Fencers. I've met them this year and am a friend of their coach who invited me to visit them again this year after the Olympics.

finale21.JPG

And this is Peter Joppich:190602_113213.jpg

If I hadn't school again in two weeks, I definately would watch TV from the beginning to the end of the games 8-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 29. July 2008 15:53 

Local Time:
I have an open question and one I never hear asked: why does anyone care about the Olympics? To me, it's a bunch of athletes I haven't heard of playing sports I don't care about. Since when does anyone care about swimming, archery, diving, badminton, canoeing, fencing or shooting. How about the field events? They boil down to who can throw an inanimate object like a rock or a spear the farthest or jumps the longest.
What I don't get is the disconnect between the quadrennial Olympics and the rest of the time. Nearly all of the Olympic sports have no significant television or live event presence the rest of the time, yet it's totally different now.
To answer the question, I'll only follow tennis and basketball because I follow them regularly. Maybe I'll check out some of the wrestling or judo because I'm a casual MMA fan. Baseball is my favorite sport, but the major leagues do not stop for the Olympics, so that event means nothing because none of the best players are there.
Why does anyone care about tennis? Bunch of athletes I haven't heard of playing a sport I don't care about. ;)
In Czechia we title athletics as the Queen of sports. Swimming is great to watch, very interesting and dramatic. You also have basketball, volleyball, handball, cycling or gymnastics at the Olympics, major sports in my opinion. The Olympics are mainly a symbol, or should be. Their another role is to popularize minor sports.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 29. July 2008 16:43 

Local Time:
i agree with what martin said.
i will watch for sure basketball and water polo.about athletics i dont give a shit
athletics is the queen of sports and dopping.i have quited complete
from this sport,too much disgusting for me.
i am waiting how and how the match against usa in basketball

media master
PostPosted: 29. July 2008 16:51 

Local Time:
i agree with what martin said.
i will watch for sure basketball and water polo.about athletics i dont give a shit
athletics is the queen of sports and dopping.i have quited complete
from this sport,too much disgusting for me.
i am waiting how and how the match against usa in basketball

your country had some tragedy with athletics four years ago with Thanou and Kenteris
Greece vs USA will indeed be interesting, Greece was european champion few years ago , i hope Argentina will go far , not sure if Ginobili will play on the Olympics.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 29. July 2008 17:00 

Local Time:
Baseball is my favorite sport, but the major leagues do not stop for the Olympics, so that event means nothing because none of the best players are there.

well im not sure if you knew this, but the olympics was actaually for amature athletes. if you were a professional athlete you could not compete (if you had competed for money you couldnt enter). obviously that has changed.
check out Chariots of Fire

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. July 2008 17:32 

Local Time:
Baseball is my favorite sport, but the major leagues do not stop for the Olympics, so that event means nothing because none of the best players are there.

well im not sure if you knew this, but the olympics was actaually for amature athletes. if you were a professional athlete you could not compete (if you had competed for money you couldnt enter). obviously that has changed.
check out Chariots of Fire

Yes, Chariots of Fire was very good, if not a great, picture. Anyway, that kind of speaks to what I'm saying in that they had to admit pros to raise the talent level and interest. And the baseball players are not amateurs, they are minor leaguers (ITF in tennis terms). I suppose it was be interesting if they did what soccer did and used only the top young prospects, but this is mostly a collection of career minor leaguers and low-level prospects.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 29. July 2008 18:16 

Local Time:
your country had some tragedy with athletics four years ago with Thanou and Kenteris
Greece vs USA will indeed be interesting, Greece was european champion few years ago , i hope Argentina will go far , not sure if Ginobili will play on the Olympics.

tragedy for them and greek media not for me.not surprize that tested possitive.
they fall in my eyes,not worthy to talk about them.
i also hope argentina will go far,otherwise i support them,like my country.
we beat usa in semifinals in last world championship 101-95.maybe the
best ever win for greece.also this year we have good team.i think
we will battle for a medal.
watch out sofoklis schortsanitis or big sofo.2.08m,black(his father is greek),huge,fast
with very good technique
but has a big problem,eats a lot.was out for a year bc was overweight.now is back

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 30. July 2008 01:08 

Local Time:

Were you in charge of the Atlanta games?

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 30. July 2008 22:43 

Local Time:
Why would someone send a pm saying they didn't understand a post when they could just say so in the thread?

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 30. July 2008 22:58 

Local Time:
Why would someone send a pm saying they didn't understand a post when they could just say so in the thread?

To not clog up the thread. So care to enlighten me as to what you meant by that Atlanta remark.

Board index : Off-Topic : Sports

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next