Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Connecticut Open, New Haven
PostPosted: 18. August 2016 22:58 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 11:03
Dates: 19 -27 August 2016 image
Venue: New Haven, USA
Tier: Premier
Prize Money: $695,900
Surface: Hard/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Anne Worcester

Official website: www.ctopen.org

Last Appearance: 2013 1st round. Lost to Simona Halep 6-2 6-1

Singles:
Q1R: [10] Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) bt Daniela Hantuchova 4-6 6-3 6-1

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Connecticut Open, New Haven
PostPosted: 18. August 2016 23:02 

Local Time:
Six talented Americans are entered in this year’s qualifying field, including Shelby Rogers, a French Open quarterfinalist; Varvara Lepchenko, who advanced to the round of 16 at the Rogers Cup; Christina McHale, a semifinalist at Acapulco; Alison Riske, a finalist at Nottingham and semifinalist at Stanford; Nicole Gibbs, a quarterfinalist at Monterrey and round-of-16 performer at Indian Wells; and Louisa Chirico, who advanced to the semifinals at Madrid.

Joining the Americans are rising stars Annika Beck, who advanced to the round of 16 at the Australian Open; Kristina Mladenovic, a finalist in S-Hertogenbosch; Yulia Putintseva, who took Serena Williams to three sets in the French Open quarterfinals; and Danka Kovinic, a finalist at Istanbul.

A slate of veterans are also entered, including former Wimbledon semifinalists Mirjana Lucic-Baroni (1999) and Kirsten Flipkens (2013); Kateryna Bondarenko, a round-of-16 performer at Indian Wells and Eastbourne; and Yaroslava Shvedova, a 2016 Wimbledon quarterfinalist.

Wildcards into the qualifying draw were awarded to Daniela Hantuchova and Americans Danielle Collins, Kayla Day, Lauren Davis, Ellyse Hamlin and Sofia Kenin, giving the tournament 11 Americans in the qualifying field.

Hantuchova has a career-high ranking of No. 5 and will make her 12th appearance in New Haven; Collins, a former University of Virginia standout, won the 2016 and 2014 NCAA singles title; Day is the 2016 USTA Girls’ 18s National Champion; Davis advanced to the finals at Washington D.C. and makes her third appearance at New Haven; Hamlin, a Fairfield native and All-ACC selection at Duke University; and Kenin, who won the 2016 USTA Pro Circuit US Open Wild Card Challenge and was the 2015 USTA Girls’ 18s National Champion.

Rogers & Mladenovic are now in the main draw.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. August 2016 23:12 

Local Time:
We'll see how Daniela does here. So much will depend on the draw as there are some good players in the qualifying field and a lot of them have beaten Daniela and pretty much everyone else in the draw has had a better year than Daniela. I'd expect her to be able to beat the other wildcards although Davis has beaten her. The wildcard's a measure of the esteem she has in tennis and her career achievements and it would be wonderful if she could take advantage of it.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 19. August 2016 01:29 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 06:03
Daniela is in the 3rd match on the grandstand court, with play beginning shortly after 10:00 AM, Eastern Daylight Time. (Geez, it feels good to type that!) Her opponent is Flipkens.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 19. August 2016 01:50 

Local Time:
Daniela starts with Kirsten Flipkens which is going to be a tough match for her. The winner plays either Naomi Broady or WC Kayla Day.QS.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 20. August 2016 00:00 

Local Time:
It seemed like Daniela wore down as the match went on as she was in control of the first set and didn't face a BP while she had 7 of her own ( although she only converted one) while in the third set she didn't have a BP against Flipkens while she faced 4. Daniela had Flipkens at 0-40 when Flipkens served for the second set at 5-3 but Flipkens won the next 5 points to win the set and it seemed that after that Daniela had nothing left for the third set. That was the decisive moment of the match. Daniela would still have had to hold to bring it to 5-5 but she'd have had a good chance to win in straight sets but it seemed like she had nothing left after that as Flipkens won the third pretty easily and Daniela made no impact on return. The third game of the third was the most competitive as it went to deuce on Daniela's serve and was the only game that went to deuce but she got broken and that put Flipkens up a double break.

Daniela played very well in the first set against someone who's had recent wins against Muguruza and Venus Williams but she had nothing left in the third. This match gives me mixed emotions. I didn't expect Daniela to win so I'm not upset that she lost but after she won the first set I had hope so there's the disappointment of not winning from a set up. Over the past year Daniela's generally been competitive in the first set but the longer the match goes on the less she has and that was the case again. Daniela can still be competitive against decent players and if she'd gotten it to 4-5 in the second then who knows what could have happened. I also wonder what she could have done if she'd won the first set more easily as she had 2 BPs in the fifth game and 4 in the seventh but didn't break and if she'd won the first more easily then she'd have had more left in the second and could have won in straight sets. Daniela was only 2/11 on BPs and that really hurt her.

ITF Player
PostPosted: 20. August 2016 09:53 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 18:03
I feel that this year, most of the draws weren't in her favor. Or is it just me? :(

ITF Player
PostPosted: 20. August 2016 10:45 

Local Time:
I feel that this year, most of the draws weren't in her favor. Or is it just me? :(

I feel the same, but with Daniela's current ranking, I don't think we could have hoped for anything much better as far as her draws are concerned. The only positive is that Dani seems to be playing for the pleasure of playing rather than for achievements these days, so hopefully her disappointment isn't as big as it would have been in the past and won't last long.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 20. August 2016 12:07 

Local Time:
Connecticut Open notes: Kirsten Flipkens knocks out Daniela Hantuchova
By Dan Nowak, New Haven Register and Jim Fuller, New Haven Register
POSTED: 08/19/16, 6:49 PM EDT | UPDATED: 8 HRS AGO 0 COMMENTS

NEW HAVEN >> In the marquee match of the day, Daniela Hantuchova and Kirsten Flipkens provided tennis fans on the Grandstand Court with some impressive tennis in a three-set match in the first round of qualifying at the Connecticut Open on Friday.

Flipkens, coming off an exciting experience at the Summer Olympics, lost the first set but came roaring back to defeat former World No. 5 Hantuchova 4-6, 6-3, 6-1.

“In that first set I didn’t feel the ball that good, I knew I needed to get in a rhythm if I was going to come back,” Flipkens said. “I always have difficulty with the heat. It was hot but it’s that way for everybody.

“I started out well in that second set and I was hitting the ball really good.”

Flipkens led 4-3 in the first set but Hantuchova, making her 12th appearance in the tournament, dominated the next three games to win the set.

In the second set with it tied at 2, Flipkens won the next three games to take control at 5-2 and went on to win the set 6-3.

After Flipkens took a 3-0 lead in the third set, Hantuchova needed medical attention for a sore right arm. She was briefly attended to by a trainer and was able to resume play.

Flipkens held serve for a 4-0 lead and Hantuchova won four straight points on her serve to cut the lead to 4-1. But Flipkens held serve and then broke Hantuchova on her serve for game, set and match.

Flipkens enters the Connecticut Open coming off the Summer Olympics where she advanced to the quarterfinals, including a first round win over Venus Williams.

“It was a great experience at the Olympics,” Flipkens said. “Winning those matches gave me a lot of confidence. It gave me a lot of confidence coming into today’s qualifying match.”

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2016 01:35 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 06:03
I wondered why the scores weren't changing for 10 minutes in the 3rd set.
After seeing the pictures of Daniela pumping iron, I got excited when she had 2 aces early on and was 12-14 winning points on first serve in. But that went pfft.
It always hurts when our gal loses. At this stage, though, with Dani playing so sparingly, it has become a treat just to follow a match of hers and cheer her on.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments