Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid
PostPosted: 4. May 2017 16:29 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 11:53
Dates: 5 -14 may 2017 image
Venue: Madrid, Spain
Tier: Premier mandatory
Prize Money: $5,439,350
Surface: Clay/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Manolo Santana

Official website: www.madrid-open.com

Last Appearance: 2015 1st round. Lost to Elena Svitolina 6-0 6-3

Daniela has withdrawn with a back injury.

Singles:
Q1R: Daniela Hantuchova vs [1] Shelby Rogers (USA)

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid
PostPosted: 4. May 2017 16:37 

Local Time:
Daniela got a wildcard into Madrid qualifying which is fantastic as she was 53rd alternate. She plays top seed Shelby Rogers in the first round which will be a very tough match. Rogers got to the quarter-final of Roland Garros last year and the quarter-final of Charleston last month so she's good on clay and she's a big hitter which will put pressure on Daniela's movement. Rogers is the favourite but Daniela did beat her in their previous meeting in Charleston although that was three years ago. The winner plays either Donna Vekic or Natalie Vikhlyantseva

It's a difficult draw but Daniela's in it. Madrid have always been good about giving her a wildcard.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 4. May 2017 16:41 

Local Time:
Daniela's the third match on Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, play starts at 11:30 am.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 5. May 2017 14:01 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 12:53
Daniela has withdrawn ://:/:/

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 5. May 2017 15:53 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 06:53
Yeah, and she had posted one of those fun pictures on FB where she's hugging a giant tennis ball and stated how happy she was to be in Madrid. Makes me worried. Her replacement, Mattek-Sands, was belted 2 & 3 by Rogers, so maybe it was just as well.
The draw sheet says Daniela has a back injury. Dum-Dee-Dum-Dum. Say a prayer for Dani.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 5. May 2017 18:02 

Local Time:
I've got to think that this is fairly serious otherwise Daniela wouldn't have withdrawn from a tournament as big as this. There was no real indication prior to this that Daniela had any major issue so I don't know if she'd been playing through this in Rabat or if it's something that just flared up. She did have a couple of withdrawals from Santa Margherita Di Pula but it seems like her last withdrawal from there was so she could play Rabat qualifying. It's unlikely that Daniela would have won but you play the match to find out. I just hope it's not too serious and she's able to play again soon.

I don't know how many more opportunities Daniela will get to compete in a big event like this so it is such a pity she couldn't take part.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2017 15:53 

Local Time:
It's bad, guys. Not a back injury. It's a stress fracture of a rib. Daniela posted the news on FB and said she will be out for some time. She called the pain unbearable. My heart is bleeding for her. You can read it and weep with me. Time for us to send Dani our love and our prayers.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2017 17:46 

Local Time:
Hey guys,i have not such a great news to share with u..An MRI test this morning(i had to pull out yesterday before my match in Madrid because of the unbereable pain) showed that i have a stressfracture on my 9th rib..i do have a high level of tolerating the pain but this is worse then anything i ever experienced.

It means i will b out for sometime but i do promise i will do all i can to recover in the best way possible to b back doing i what love the most,which is palying tennis.

At the mean time i do hope u all r doing better then me and that u keep following our beautiful sport and the other girls and guys on the tour as its filled with so many incredible athletes!! #wta #atp #tennis #passion #acceptation #love

@ Daniela's facebook

This is serious. Daniela will be out for at least a couple of months so it's extremely unlikely that Daniela will be able to defend her points from Roland Garros so her ranking will take a hit as well and she's likely to miss Wimbledon as well. She's still showing her desire when she talks about coming back and playing so hopefully she's able to make a full recovery. This is a massive blow given her age and ranking. Daniela's in pain and she can't play and she's going to miss some huge tournaments so things do look bleak in the short term. Daniela had stress fractures in her feet and she was able to recover both times but she was never quite the same player when she came back. I hope she can comeback and I wonder what she's going to be like when she does. At this stage in her career she's playing for fun and enjoyment so as long as she recovers she can come back and play.

When is treatment without surgery appropriate and what does it entail?

Treatment without surgery is always the most appropriate first-line of treatment for a typical rib stress fracture. The key is “relative rest” which means don’t do anything that causes significant pain or discomfort. The goal is to let the rib rest so it can heal itself. If stress is continually placed on it, it never gets a chance to heal. This usually means a period of 4-6 weeks without throwing or weightlifting with the affected shoulder, but lower body workouts can usually be continued without interruption or they can be modified so they do not cause rib pain. Once there is no pain during regular activities, then light lifting and throwing, or other sport specific activities, can be gradually added. If pain recurs, then the athlete must back off again and give it more time.

Other important elements of treatment include analyzing the training program, rest, and body mechanics of the athlete to identify and correct any contributing factors. Also, the diet should be examined to make sure nutrition is appropriate.

If the athlete has a history of multiple stress fractures or if the fracture is not healing, it may be appropriate to do some blood tests or special imaging to make sure there are not other, systemic factors involved.

The time for healing may vary significantly between athletes and must be individualized and discussed with the athlete’s physician. If the stress fracture is not visible on x-rays, the athlete might return to full sports participation in 8-12 weeks. If the stress fracture has become a complete fracture, it may take 6-12 months.

Is surgery needed for rib stress fractures?

In the vast majority of cases, surgery is not needed. Even if the bone doesn’t heal, the athlete can usually get back to their sport without surgery and without pain. However, there are some unusual reported cases of the bone healing with such a large mass of bone (“callus”) that it impinges the underlying nerves and vessels and requires a “decompressive” surgery.

Treatment of Rib Stress Fractures
To the frustration of many athletes, there is often little that can be done for treatment of a rib stress fracture. Giving the ribs time to heal, and avoiding exertion, will allow the bone to recover, and the injury to completely heal. Trying to come back from the injury too soon, before adequate healing has occurred, can lead to prolonged symptoms of pain.

Every athlete wants to know how long the injury will take to heal. Unfortunately, there is no way to know for certain when the injury will be fully recovered, but most rib stress fractures will heal within 3 months, although some may take 6 months, or even longer, if athletes don't allow the ribs to adequately rest.

Often athletes can do other athletic activities without aggravating their healing stress fracture. For example, a rower may not be able to row without pain, but they may be able to do other activities to maintain their fitness such as cycling or swimming.

ITF Player
PostPosted: 6. May 2017 18:14 

Local Time:
|19. March 2024| 18:53
I left monitoring the tennis world because Ivanovic is gone and that I can't help to see Daniela always losing. But now that I realized that I still want to support her, this is what happened. Do you honestly think she can still make the 600? :( :( :(

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. May 2017 20:09 

Local Time:
Do you honestly think she can still make the 600? :( :( :(

The 600 career wins is something you and I want, and many of her fans want. Without knowing for sure, I don't think it means all that much to Daniela. I don't see her as a milestone chaser. She has totally proven that she is playing because she loves to and wants to. All I want for this wonderful human being is to get out of pain and let this fully heal. Then, if she still wants to play, that would be great. Logically, this should end up giving her nearly zero chance for 600, since it would likely require 2 more full seasons. But, we all know, never put anything past Daniela!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 8. May 2017 17:39 

Local Time:
Very sad about this...we may never see Daniela on court again :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

It's been one heck of a ride but I hope Daniela will be able to retire on her terms rather than because of an injury...

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 12. May 2017 04:28 

Local Time:
Anyone else take note of the Bouchard/Sharapova drama, then Bouchard beating Kerber, and realize how little we miss all the immaturity and silliness of the WTA tour?

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. June 2017 22:22 

Local Time:
According to twitter

DANIELA is RETIRING after the US OPEN

I hope it's not true :o :o :cry: :cry:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 18. June 2017 05:56 

Local Time:
From her FB and Instagram posts, eddy, Daniela is keeping quite busy, seems to be enjoying herself, and is heavily into promoting her energy drink. I might be surprised if she waits that long. It has to happen sometime.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. June 2017 17:54 

Local Time:
I think that particular rumour is a load of rubbish because it comes from a troll account. There is no other source. I don't know how much longer Daniela will be playing but that rumour is totally without credibility.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2  Next