Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 386 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells
PostPosted: 13. March 2009 01:29 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 02:37
^Good point. That's essentially the sacrifice the tour makes in exchange for shorter matches which increases the number of quality singles players who play doubles.It isn't happening. Those who don't wanna play doubles won't play it regardless of any changes WTA makes (except of combined singles & doubles rankings or equal prize money for singles and doubles). It might be a bit more plaesant for those who already play doubles, but in the end it makes no difference in terms of who plays and who doesn't.

It's is indeed happening, at least to a small extent. I looked up 18 players* who have been consistently in the top thirty over the last three years and compared their doubles participation before and after the rule change.

Since the rule change, the players have averaged 22 doubles matches per season. Before the rule change, those players averaged some 20 doubles matches per season. Nine of the eighteen are playing more since the change, four are playing at least 50 % more. As compared to six who are playing less, of whom two are playing much less. Three are basically playing roughly the same. If you remove the Grand Slams, the increases in participation become a bit clearer. This isn't a perfect study and it's not any kind of an overwhelming increase, but it's wrong to say that there has been no increase since the addition of no-ad scoring.

*Williamses, Serbs, Elena D, Vera Z, Sveta, Petrova, Bartoli, Daniela, Ai, Flavia, Schnyder, Mauresmo, Chaky, Kirilenko and Masha.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 13. March 2009 09:12 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 09:37

*Williamses, Serbs, Elena D, Vera Z, Sveta, Petrova, Bartoli, Daniela, Ai, Flavia, Schnyder, Mauresmo, Chaky, Kirilenko and Masha.

well the Williams's didn't even play much singles in the years prior to the new rule. Recently they've played more in both singles and doubles.
Then there's the whole olympics thing playing in as well for all players.
Masha is playing one! tournament in doubles, hasn't played since 2004 I think. And her playing indian wells has nothing to do with the rule. It is simply to test her shoulder.
With Ai, she has always been playing a lot of doubles and was ranked number 1 in doubles before the new rule. If she is playing even more now, I would guess it has more to do with the fact that she is getting a bit old in tennis-terms.

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 13. March 2009 10:49 

Local Time:
Very tricky match against Wickmayer. I remember the Fed Cup match,
where Yanina was 5-2 ahead at the first set but Daniela fought back to win it 7-6. Normally, Daniela wins again but Yanina def Magda in
a very convincing way and that worries me. We’ll see...

Site Admin
PostPosted: 13. March 2009 11:42 

Local Time:
It's is indeed happening, at least to a small extent. I looked up 18 players* who have been consistently in the top thirty over the last three years and compared their doubles participation before and after the rule change.

Since the rule change, the players have averaged 22 doubles matches per season. Before the rule change, those players averaged some 20 doubles matches per season. Nine of the eighteen are playing more since the change, four are playing at least 50 % more. As compared to six who are playing less, of whom two are playing much less. Three are basically playing roughly the same. If you remove the Grand Slams, the increases in participation become a bit clearer. This isn't a perfect study and it's not any kind of an overwhelming increase, but it's wrong to say that there has been no increase since the addition of no-ad scoring.

Maybe some of these women simply won more matches and some of them won less, maybe some of them were injured in previous years and couldn't play as much, or maybe their form in singles was much better than it is now and therefore they needed more rest than they need now and didn't play doubles, don't forget the Olympics like Christina wrote. There are more possible explanations.

I am more interested in knowing how many doubles tournaments those players participated in in the seasons prior and after the rule changes. That would tell us more.

Anyway, I think I am not too far from truth when I say that all these rule changes have had almost no impact on the popularity of women's doubles.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 13. March 2009 17:32 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 08:37
Big dissapointment with the doubles defeat, it would of been a good opportunity to gain some big points for the race and get some court time, and essentially confidence, but thats not to be. As for Wickmayer, Daniela can some difficulties in the FED Cup match a month or so ago, and I expect something the same, with the same outcome. Thats the hope anyway

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 13. March 2009 22:39 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 03:37
This is the 3rd time she's lost to a team with Rodionova in doubles. She lost to her in New Haven in a super 3rd set tiebreak.

Can't saw I'm a fan of the new doubles scoring. I went to the BJK cup in New York where the first two matches had this new "ad" scoring and it really took away from the game, IMO.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 14. March 2009 00:56 

Local Time:
This is the 3rd time she's lost to a team with Rodionova in doubles. She lost to her in New Haven in a super 3rd set tiebreak.

Can't saw I'm a fan of the new doubles scoring. I went to the BJK cup in New York where the first two matches had this new "ad" scoring and it really took away from the game, IMO.

cool, you went to NJC. I would have loved to have been there to experience the atmosphere in the Garden. It must have been amazing - esp. with both the Williams there

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 14. March 2009 05:15 

Local Time:

Maybe some of these women simply won more matches and some of them won less, maybe some of them were injured in previous years and couldn't play as much, or maybe their form in singles was much better than it is now and therefore they needed more rest than they need now and didn't play doubles, don't forget the Olympics like Christina wrote. There are more possible explanations.

I am more interested in knowing how many doubles tournaments those players participated in in the seasons prior and after the rule changes. That would tell us more.

Anyway, I think I am not too far from truth when I say that all these rule changes have had almost no impact on the popularity of women's doubles.

You're right in that this doesn't prove anything, but it does suggest some effect. I think it has made a small difference. If I have time this weekend, I'll do the same query for tournaments instead of matches. The way my spreadsheet works it was easier to run it the other way.

On another note, Daniela plays tomorrow on stadium court two at roughly 18:00 local time, 01:00 GMT.

STADIUM 2 start 11:00 am
[7] A Radwanska (POL) vs S Stosur (AUS) - WTA
[23] R Gasquet (FRA) vs M Llodra (FRA) - ATP
T Gabashvili (RUS) vs [11] J Tsonga (FRA) - ATP
[30] D Hantuchova (SVK) vs Y Wickmayer (BEL) - WTA
[8] G Simon (FRA) vs Y Lu (TPE) - ATP
L Hewitt (AUS) vs [17] F Gonzalez (CHI) - ATP

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 14. March 2009 22:42 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 07:37
After losing the first set 7-6(2) , Dementieva won the 2nd set 6-2 against Petra Cetkovska .
2-0 to Cetkovska in the 3rd set

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 14. March 2009 23:07 

Local Time:
Cetkovska serving for the match at 5-1. :o
And it's over after Petra saved two break points. Huge upset and huge break for Daniela if she can take advantage of it.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 14. March 2009 23:14 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 07:37
:o I must say that I'm shocked .
Huge , huge opportunity for Daniela to reach at least QF .
C'mon Danka .

Site Admin
PostPosted: 14. March 2009 23:15 

Local Time:
come on Daniela. Your chance to reach QF has just increased significantly.

Profile WWW

Site Admin
PostPosted: 15. March 2009 00:03 

Local Time:
I thought this would be a relaxed evening, that I wouldn't mind if Daniela lost to Wickmayer cause 2nd or 3rd round exit isn't such a big difference and now this. My heartbeat is so quick now. :lol:

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 15. March 2009 00:28 

Local Time:
OMG

That's definitely a huge upset. I didn't think Elena could win this Tournament, but i'd never thought that she would lose in 2R. Now i hope she can take advantage of that... That's a really big chance now...

*Nicole Vaidisova*Agnes Szavay*Tatiana Golovin*

*Daniela Hantuchova*Agnieszka Radwanska*Dinara Safina*
Alona Bondarenko*Iveta Benesova*Aleksandra Wozniak*
Elena Dementieva*Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova*Stefanie Vögele*

<3

Site Admin
PostPosted: 15. March 2009 00:41 

Local Time:
I thought this would be a relaxed evening, that I wouldn't mind if Daniela lost to Wickmayer cause 2nd or 3rd round exit isn't such a big difference and now this. My heartbeat is so quick now. :lol:

well for a seed I would say just one win is important since it is a difference between 5 points or 80 points. Had she played round 1, I would agree since it would only be between 50 and 80.

Come on Danka.

Profile WWW

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 386 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next