Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Brisbane International, Brisbane
PostPosted: 26. December 2013 14:42 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 12:33
Dates: December 29 - January 4, 2012 image
Venue: Brisbane, Australia
Tier: Premier
Prize Money: $1,000,000
Surface: Hard/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Cameron Pearson

Official website: www.brisbaneinternational.com.au

Last Appearance: 2012 Quarter-final. Lost to Lesia Tsurenko 6-3 6-4

Singles:
1R: [Q] Ashleigh Barty (AUS) bt Daniela Hantuchova 6-3 7-5

Doubles:
1R: [1] Kveta Peschke/Katerina Srebotnik bt Daniela Hantuchova/Sabine Lisicki 6-3 6-4

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Brisbane International, Brisbane
PostPosted: 26. December 2013 14:44 

Local Time:
Women’s Singles 2014

Serena Williams USA
Daniela Hantuchova SVK
Victoria Azarenka BLR
Magdalena Rybarikova SVK
Sabine Lisicki GER
Madison Keys USA
Maria Sharapova RUS
Francesca Schiavone ITA
Jelena Jankovic SRB
Stefanie Voegele SUI
Angelique Kerber GER
Andrea Petkovic GER
Caroline Wozniacki DEN
Elina Svitolina UKR
Carla Suarez Navarro ESP
Bethanie Mattek-Sands USA
Dominika Cibulkova SVK
Varvara Lepchenko USA
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova RUS
Kristina Mladenovic FRA
Kaia Kanepi EST
Kimiko Date-Krumm JPN
WC Casey Dellacqua AUS
WC Olivia Rogowska AUS

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 28. December 2013 04:50 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 07:33
Well, guys, the day we look forward to each year has arrived……not Daniela's first match, but the first day we can obsess over her draw. However, this year we are thrown a curve. Daniela got a qualifier. So Obsession Day must wait one more day. ;) For your sake I looked ahead, which is not my norm. 2nd round would most likely be Sharapova, then in theory, Wozniacki and then Serena. (Obsession is allowed for that!)
Daniela will pair with Lisicki, and they drew the top seeds, Peschke and Shrebotnik.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 28. December 2013 14:22 

Local Time:
|2. May 2024| 13:33
Overall it's a pretty good draw. Until we see who the qualifier is it's hard to work out Daniela's chances. Would actually love a 2nd round clash with Sharapova. They both have to get there first...

Interesting choice to play doubles with Lisicki. They partnered a few times a couple of years ago but was a bit of a disaster but they get along well and often practice together so could be the start of something more permanent.

I just want Daniela to at least get to the 2nd round so we can see her play and to stay healthy. Anything further than 2nd round would be a bonus.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 28. December 2013 18:17 

Local Time:
It's a decent draw. There are a few potentially tricky players in qualifying and as eddy said, we'll have to see who the qualifier is first. It'll be someone who's played on the courts and will be used to the conditions, but Daniela's been in Australia preparing so she'll be ready too.

Shazza's withdrawn from Brisbane the past couple of years so if Daniela can get to the second round then you never know what could happen but if Shazza's healthy then it'll be a very tough match for Daniela, if nothing else hopefully it means that Daniela and Shazza won't play a practice match later on in the month. It would be great for Daniela to get to the quarter-final here and defend her points from last year which should get her a seeding for the Australian Open, but if she goes out before that she probably won't get a seeding so a run here is important but we have to take things one match at a time.

We'll see what happens in the doubles. Daniela & Sabine get on well and could be a good team but they've got a tough draw against the top seeds.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. December 2013 06:34 

Local Time:
Daniela opens the season against Ashleigh Barty. She's got the home country advantage, being an Aussie. She's 17 yrs. old and ranked #188. Daniela has not faced her. To get here, Barty won 3 matches, the last 2 against our US Open friend Julia Glushko (belted her 6-3 6-2) and Kiki Bertens (3 sets, lost the 1st, 7-5 in the third). As always, she requires respect with those 3 wins making her a momentarily hot player, familiar with the courts, and in her case someone playing in her homeland. Daniela, from all accounts, has really busted her butt in the last 2 months, and I'd like to think that all that work would not come tumbling down with a loss to a player she is 155 spots higher than in the rankings, especially since she normally does very well in Brisbane.

Wozniacki is out with shoulder issues. See if that comes into play this week for Dani.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 29. December 2013 16:04 

Local Time:
Daniela has quite a good record against youngsters however Barty will have the whole stadium behind her. Really glad we should be able to watch the match.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 29. December 2013 16:48 

Local Time:
Daniela's the third match on Rafter, play starting at 11:30pm.

Alex made a lot of good points about Barty. She also got to the final of three of the Slams with Dellacqua in doubles, so she's also got to be respected for that.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 30. December 2013 08:31 

Local Time:
Not going well 3-6, Barty better pretty much in every department. Daniela many errors and looks very rusty..going for too much as ever...

So many errors off returns :oops:

It's like Daniela has forgotten how to rally in a point. not sure at all about Sanchez, he seems to have made her even more one dimensional.... :roll:

Well at least Daniela's not peaking too soon before the AO :? 3-6 2-3 Daniela hasn't had a break chance yet..a better game 3-3

Daniela breaks 4-3 comon!

Holds saving a break point 5-3 comon! So much better point point construction.

Serving for the set 5-4 broken to love woeful tennis, awful game, poor Daniela..I can't see her taking this to 3 sets now..

Momentum has completely gone 5-6..

Lost 36 57

:? Just wasn't good enough. So many errors and when finally got the momentum 5-3 up just completely lost all momentum.

Barty played solid but nothing spectacular. Was well played in from the qualifying matches. I guess at 17 years old you have no fear.

But Daniela's performance here was very worrying...she could barely stay in the point and so many return errors. Here serve was quite good but costly double faults at silly times.

I'm not sure what Daniela can take from this match other than she is far away from where she needs to be. there needs to be much more shape on her ball rather than just hitting a winner. She hasn't found the balance at all and 5-3 to 5-7 is unacceptable particularly as Barty didn't really step up and win those games, Daniela just handed them to her...very depressing as this would have been a good draw for Daniela, and a match against Sharapova would have been awesome.

To add salt in the wound there goes her AO seeding... :cry:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 30. December 2013 12:58 

Local Time:
I really don't know what to say about this, I'm a bit stunned. It's really difficult to come up with any positives and based on what eddy's said, Daniela seemed to play poorly and made a lot of mistakes. It seems like she was ball bashing and her shot selection seemed poor. When someone's really confident they'll be prepared to rally and play the extra shot but Daniela didn't seem to do that.

When she was 5-3 up in the second she should have taken it to a third set or at worst a tiebreak and I'd have to have favoured Daniela

Hopefully, this is Daniela's really bad performance out of the way and that she can do better in Sydney and the Australian Open. Daniela's resilient and strong and she'll bounce back but she'll have to play a lot better.

Shit happens. Barty was probably inspired by what's happening in the Ashes.

Thanks for the report, eddy, it couldn't have been good to watch.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 30. December 2013 14:46 

Local Time:
Watching parts of the match again it seems Daniela came out too full on at the beginning so when she tried reigning it in she couldn't find the balance.

I think Barty defended very well and some of her topspin shots were a bit lucky.

I shouldn't judge Sanchez too soon but I find his manner tpo intense. I think Daniela plays well when she has a calming influence and I just don't think it's a good match. Although she said she had a great offseason with him and her team so hopefully she's put the gremlins of this match to bed and can at least play better in Sydney. Especially returning serve and staying strong and secure in rallies.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 30. December 2013 15:50 

Local Time:
Why in the hell was Sanchez telling her to scream during that final coaching timeout? Idiot.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 30. December 2013 18:45 

Local Time:
Apparently he said it in the middle of the 1st set too.

I guess he just wants Daniela to be more bullish on court. I don't mind that attitude but there are different ways of showing it than grunting..

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 30. December 2013 19:21 

Local Time:
Daniela's doubles match is fourth on court 1 after 2 singles and another doubles. Play starts at 11 am.
Normally I'd feel that Daniela could salvage something from this tournament in doubles but she gets the toughest draw against the top seeds.

I've always felt that Daniela responds best to calm, methodical advice from a coach.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 31. December 2013 00:52 

Local Time:
Guys, something happened in my life today which I won't get into that makes this one a lot easier for me to swallow. If there were no coach issues or inexplicable defeats, we wouldn't know who we were rooting for! Perhaps Barty is the next big thing……maybe she knocks off Sharapova or goes on to have a big year from out of nowhere like Halep. If this is going to be a normal Daniela season, there will be a lot of good days as well.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2  Next