Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: New Haven Open at Yale, New Haven
PostPosted: 19. August 2013 22:59 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 20:05
New Haven Open ‏@newhavenopen 1h
TUES OOP NIGHT SESSION: Hantuchova/Hingis v Black/King at 7 pm followed by Lisicki v Pavlyuchenkova. Tickets: #nho13

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 20. August 2013 16:08 

Local Time:
NEW HAVEN OPEN: Daniela Hantuchova won't slow down after latest loss

Published: Monday, August 19, 2013

By Henry Chisholm, Register Staff
/ Twitter: @NHRHenryC

NEW HAVEN — Despite losing her second consecutive match in straight sets, 13-year vet Daniela Hantuchova is still motivated to stay on the court. The 30-year-old Slovak fell to Simona Halep 6-2, 6-1 at the New Haven Open Monday. Hantuchova said Halep, who also defeated her in May, was just too good.

“She moves very well and she’s very solid,” Hantuchova said. “Today she was very solid. We’ve had close matches in the past and she’s got a lot of confidence.”

However, a loss is not discouraging to Hantuchova. She said her off-the-court endeavors give her the motivation to keep pushing. Like the foundation she started in Cambodia six years ago called The House of the Smile. She built a house that treats about 90 HIV positive orphans.

“I just want to make it grow and help as many people as I can,” she said.

On the court, Hantuchova’s been helping out WTA legend Martina Hingis. Hingis and Hantuchova are doubles partners on Hingis’ comeback tour. The two train together and Hantuchova said the newly inducted International Tennis Hall of Famer has still got it. After they won their first doubles match in San Diego in straight sets, it served as another motivational moment for Hantuchova.

“It was incredible,” she said. “We were looking at each other not really believing what was happening. It was like she never left the tour.”

Hingis’ spirit on her comeback tour has kept Hantuchova going, but the Slovak has goals of her own, too.

“I definitely want to be back in the top 10,” she said.

Hantuchova is ranked 46 in the world, her highest was No. 5 in 2003, and she last finished the year in the Top 10 in 2007 when she was No. 9.
She came into the New Haven Open after falling in the round of 16 at the Southern California Open. However, she won the title at the Aegon Classic on June 16 and said she can’t find a reason to stop playing.

“As long as I’m healthy and enjoying the game, why not?” Hantuchova said.

And regardless of the defeats, Hantuchova said she is just happy, and a bit surprised, she made it this far.

“When I started if somebody told me I’d still be playing tennis at 30 I would just laugh at them,” she said.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 20. August 2013 18:06 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 21:05
Well that interview has made my day despite them forgetting she'd taken a set off Petkovic so wasn't two straight set losses..

Daniela clearly still has the passion and accepts that Halep played too good this time. Daniela seems to be enjoying just being out on the court and her charity is getting more awareness due to her doubles with Hingis.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 20. August 2013 18:28 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 15:05
Guys, you think Dani read our mournful posts yesterday and thought she should reassure us?
Just noticed that Peng Shuai retired in the second set against Wozniacki. She and Hsieh, #1 seeds this week, are supposed to play tonight. That should be in doubt. It must be an injury/illness of substance, as Peng had trashed Caro in the first set. Now I know the rules that you never look too far ahead when Daniela is involved, but it does create some intrigue.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2013 00:20 

Local Time:
Doubles:

1-0, Daniela & Martina break to 40, Black served 2 DFs.
2-0, Daniela & Martina hold to 15.
2-1, King holds to 15.
3-1, Daniela & Martina hold to 40, were 40-15 up.
3-2, Black holds to 30.
3-3, Daniela & Martina broken to 40, were 15-40 down.
3-4, King holds to 40.
3-5, Daniela & Martina broken to 0.
3-6, Black serves out to 0.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2013 00:56 

Local Time:
2nd set:

0-1, Daniela broken to 40, was 40-30 up and served an ace on the first point.
0-2, Black holds to 40, Daniela & Martina had 2BPs. Black served a DF. Fourth straight 40 all game that Black & King have won.
0-3, Martina broken to 30.
0-4, King holds to 30, this match is fucking me off.
0-5, Daniela broken to 30.
1-5, Black broken to 15.
1-6, Martina broken to 15.

The two games that Black and King won in the middle of the first set were crucial in determining the match. I t could have been 5-2 for Daniela & Martina or at least 4-3 but instead it was 3-4 to Black & King and they went on to win 10 games in a row. Daniela & Martina also had chances at the start of the second but again lost the first two games to 40. Losing the deciding point in those 4 games was basically where the match was decided.

I really don't know what to say about this tournament. 7 games in singles and doubles and no momentum going into the US Open. Clutching at straws I'll say that Kuznetsova was thrashed by Halep in the 1st round of Rome and she went on to have a good run at Roland Garros.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2013 01:16 

Local Time:
What a disastrous tournament..neither singles or doubles is functioning and Daniela will probably have zero confidence going into the US Open...sucks

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2013 01:23 

Local Time:
I'm going to try my hand at this live scores thing. I see that Peng went out and tried it, but they lost.
Anyhow...

1st set
1-0 Daniela and Martina break at deuce.
2-0 Daniela and Martina hold to 15.
2-1 Black/King hold to 15.
3-1 Daniela and Martina hold at deuce.
3-2 Black/King hold to 30.
3-3 Daniela and Martina broken at deuce.
3-4 Black/King hold at deuce.
3-5 Daniela and Martina broken at love.
3-6 Black/King hold at love
5 straight games and nine straight points lost. Guess I'm not too good at this.

2nd set
0-1 Daniela and Martina broken at deuce.
0-2 Black/King hold at deuce (2 BP' s missed).
0-3 Daniela and Martina broken to 30.
(This is awful! 8 straight games lost. What happened to the team I saw in Carlsbad?)
0-4 Black/King hold to 30.
0-5 Daniela and Martina broken to 30.
1-5 Daniela and Martina break to 15.
(Very loud Bronx Cheer.At least they haven't mailed it in.)
1-6 Daniela and Martina broken to 15.

Aaaaaagh! I ain't ever doing this again. I wonder now if this once so joyously promising team will be history even before next week, much less after the Open.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2013 01:50 

Local Time:
New Haven Open ‏@newhavenopen 6m
#Hingis: Right now I take it one by one. We'll go forward and play the #usopen and the Asia tournaments #nho13

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2013 02:03 

Local Time:
Swiss Miss must be hoping the same thing as me, that it's always darkest before the dawn.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2013 10:11 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 16:05
I don't think this pairing is going to last much longer.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2013 11:39 

Local Time:
There are highlights of the match against Errani/Vinci available on youtube. Sadly Daniela was the weak link in the pairing-so many bad returns,even off Errani's joke serve.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2013 17:20 

Local Time:
Hingis-Hantuchova Lose In Doubles At New Haven Open

By LORI RILEY,
The Hartford Courant
10:57 p.m. EDT, August 20, 2013

NEW HAVEN — —
It seemed like a good idea to Martina Hingis back in July. She enjoyed playing World Team Tennis and exhibitions. Why not try another comeback, this time in doubles?

So Hingis, the former No. 1-ranked singles player in the world and a recent inductee into the International Tennis Hall of Fame, and Daniela Hantuchova partnered up and started back on the WTA Tour. They began in Carlsbad, Calif., in late July, then played in Toronto and Cincinnati. Their latest stop was New Haven on Tuesday night.

After a 3-6, 1-6 loss to Cara Black and Vania King, though, the thrill of being back on the tour was wearing a little thin on Hingis, although she retained a sense of humor about the situation.

"It's different when you're just there, practicing and playing, and you just watch the match as a coach," said Hingis, 32, who has coached several players this year. "It's different when you're out there week after week after week playing and training yourself."

She laughed.

"This week was pretty tough," she added. "I was home [earlier] and it was so nice. Being around the pool, in the Jacuzzi … but this is what I decided to do, so we'll see how it goes."

In the second night match, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova upset seventh-seeded Sabine Lisicki 7-5, 6-3, knocking the fourth of the top eight seeds out of the tournament.

Hingis, who was ranked No. 1 for 209 weeks and won five Grand Slams, including Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, retired in 2003 at age 22 because of foot and ankle injuries. She made a comeback in 2006, when she reached No. 6, but Hingis tested positive for traces of cocaine after Wimbledon and then retired again.

The last three years, she's played World Team Tennis for the Washington Kastles, which won the WTT title this summer, beating out Andy Roddick's Springfield Lasers.

Before this summer, she last played doubles with Hantuchova in 2007 at the U.S. Open, reaching the round of 16. The two will be back in New York next week.

Asked about the Open, Hingis laughed again.

"Well, right now, I take it one by one," she said. "After tonight's performance, it's like, 'Wow, did I really do that?' We will go forward and play the U.S. Open and take it from there."

Both Hingis — who won nine Grand Slam doubles titles in her heyday — and Hantuchova felt pretty good about how they were playing, up until Tuesday night. Actually, they felt pretty good leading 3-1 in the first set. Then things fell apart. Black and King, who had paired up right before the tournament and had never played together before, won the next 10 games.

"I think we can play much better than that," Hantuchova said. "We showed that in the last three tournaments."

"This one started out OK," Hingis said. "We played pretty solid. All those deuce points, one here and one there and all of a sudden instead of 5-2, it's 3-4 and it all turned around there."

They lost in the quarterfinals in Carlsbad and in the round of 16 in Toronto and Cincinnati. They beat Angelique Kerber, who was the No. 2 seed at New Haven (before losing Tuesday) and Petra Kvitova, New Haven's defending champion, in the first round in Toronto. Their last match was a 4-6, 4-6 loss to Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci — the top two doubles players in the world — in Cincinnati, but both players were happy with how they played.

"In Cincinnati, I've never seen Martina playing like that," Hantuchova said.

"I felt really good," Hingis said. "Coming here, I was so confident, maybe almost too like, 'It's all going to come by itself,' and it doesn't."

Asked if she was contemplating a return to singles play, Hingis snickered.

"Well, tonight is not the best night to ask," she said. "I always said, 'I don't want to play singles anymore, for sure,' and after tonight, it's definitely like 200 percent no way."

"You have to be so hungry. Sometimes I feel like my life has been so great. I'm very fortunate. You have to really want it. I think right now my life is so comfortable at home. Why would you want to suffer? Why would you want to put yourself into pain? In exhibitions, you prepare for one day, you arrive, you practice, you play and then you have one week to recover, where here, it's day in and day out. The grind of the tour, that's the difference. I probably underestimated that a little bit."

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 21. August 2013 18:28 

Local Time:
This interview is about as encouraging as being told I need to have my arms amputated. :cry:
I hope Dani has blown town and moved on to NYC. Because I don't know what's worse…this week's results or having to spend four more days in New Haven! ;)

Let's Go, Daniela!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. August 2013 05:34 

Local Time:
On Monday and Tuesday, we experienced some of the lowest lows as fans of Dani. But we have long since learned that you can't remain down with our gal for too long. She timed her announcement of the 2014 charity calendar just perfectly. Remembering who she really is and what she's really about has lifted my depressed spirits. Let us hope she can display the same sort of timing on court for the next week or two!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next