Roland Garros Women's Legends        Daniela/ Francesca Schiavone bt Lucie Safarova/ Nathalie Tauziat 6-2 6-3        Mixed Legends: Daniela/Guy Forget bt Francesca Schiavone/Mansour Bahrami 4-6 6-3 10-4        Mixed Legends: Tatiana Golovin/Sebastien Grosjean bt Daniela/Cedric Pioline 4-6 6-2 12-10        Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 386 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 01:55 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 04:04
As always,I enjoy these discussions Martin!I believe you, but the thing is that one-dimensional ballbashing is easily the most successful style of play. You don't need to have a perfect all-court game to win big. If you are not Hingis you are more likely to struggle with shot selection since you have many options how to play your game than be a really effective all-court player. I just don't think that one-dimensional ball-bashing is the most effective style for Daniela herself. I'll give you an example-Daniela tried to bash her way past Radwanska in Sydney and failed badly. A more considered approach,with effective forays into the net(88% success rate) brought victory at the AO last year.That wasn't my point. I was comparing women's tennis in last few years and 8-10 years ago.And my point was that Gimenez's supposedly ineffective tennis tactics brought Daniela great success 2 years ago,when I felt the standard of womens tennis was higher than it is today.But there are many other players who can whack the ball even harder. In 2002 there were only few players who could exploit Daniela's defense, 9 years later you have players like Wickmayer who can do it too and look where they are ranked.Daniela moved much better in 2002. Amongst other things,the problems of 2003 wreaked havoc on her movement.Well, yes. But it's also something that pushes her forward and motivates her. This attitude is perhaps the main reason for Daniela's remarkable work ethics and as such I can't complain about it, rather I will support it. It's also the reason she overtrained and put too much pressure on herself in 2003.I get what you mean, but you can't disregard their recent moves just because Jankovic's old schedule was beyond ridiculous. Interestingly enough,fans of Jelena are really getting stuck into Etcheberry on the tennisforum.com,blaming him for getting Jelena too muscly and therefore sacrificing her speed advantage.He''s also being blamed for Justine's retirement(wrongly in my view).So, you see that not everything was perfect in the academy.I was criticizing Panichi and his team here. Daniela herself has said her coach(Gimenez) warned her of the dangers of too packed a schedule and too quick a return from a bad injury. He was right,yet he gets the chop. Thankless job if you ask me!

Site Admin
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 02:51 

Local Time:
I forgot to mention one obvious reason why Daniela left Gimenez. He didn't want to travel with her.

I just don't think that one-dimensional ball-bashing is the most effective style for Daniela herself. I'll give you an example-Daniela tried to bash her way past Radwanska in Sydney and failed badly. A more considered approach,with effective forays into the net(88% success rate) brought victory at the AO last year.You could argue that ballbashing brought her success in 2002.
And my point was that Gimenez's supposedly ineffective tennis tactics brought Daniela great success 2 years ago,when I felt the standard of womens tennis was higher than it is today.I think it has more to do with confidence. Until that match against Hingis in Doha Daniela didn't show anything special despite being with Gimenez for some time already.
Daniela moved much better in 2002.This is where we should agree to disagree.
It's also the reason she overtrained and put too much pressure on herself in 2003.Truth, but I prefer it over watching rally like Nalbandian does or climbing mountains like Safin did when they should be practicing. Everything has its pros and cons.
Interestingly enough,fans of Jelena are really getting stuck into Etcheberry on the tennisforum.com,blaming him for getting Jelena too muscly and therefore sacrificing her speed advantage.He''s also being blamed for Justine's retirement(wrongly in my view).To me it seems that Jankovic developed those muscles too fast and has big problems to get used to it. As for Daniela, Etcheberry told her that his training methods won't affect her body proportions as much. Who knows what Jankovic and her team really wanted from him and what their deal was. I agree about Henin, imo she quit due to lack of motivation.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 03:43 

Local Time:
|15. June 2024| 21:04
Suprisingly, Daniela plays Cetkovska in the featured night match on the main stadium. On the plus side, that means I will get to see the match on television and I would suspect there would be a livestream on the internet as well.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 04:58 

Local Time:
Suprisingly, Daniela plays Cetkovska in the featured night match on the main stadium. On the plus side, that means I will get to see the match on television and I would suspect there would be a livestream on the internet as well.

wow didn't see that coming. Thanks for sharing

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
 Post subject: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 07:19 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 05:04
After 3 months Daniela split with Portas, slovak tabloid reported today. She is working with Thomas Högstedt now.

Last edited by MartinH on 17. March 2009 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 07:38 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 13:04

wow didn't see that coming. Thanks for sharing

Well i guess Daniela has some sort of recognition considering she's won the tournament twice before. That and some of the big name seeds have fallen.

---

I'm rather happy that i didn't have the time to sit through Daniela's game the other day. I dunno how well i would have coped, considering the scoreline and everything.

Needless to say it seems like the type of game judging by the statistics and the fact that she had set points in the first (i think i heard that? I might be wrong) that it was a game that she made harder for herself. But, and i always say this: a win is a win. I'm proud of Daniela's attitude this season, regardless of her results. She seems to be showing a lot of fight on court (some of the stuff we saw in 2007 and early 08) and i'm hoping that it's just a matter of time before she's getting some big name scalps. I was skeptical of whether or not she'd be able to really shoot back up the rankings (as opposed to slowly moving up), but if she's managing to fight like she is, despite the circumstances it won't be long until things fall into place *fingers crossed*

Onto the next round. I don't this one can be underestimated. Wins against big name players always, always give players a boost of confidence. Regardless of how they're fashioned. We thought Razzano merely capalised on Safina's poor form in Dubai, but she ended up making quite an impression. Hopefully Daniela can put in a good showing! I stand by my comments at the start of this tourney... i think Daniela might actually gain some points here :D

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 09:08 

Local Time:
I just watched the highlight of the match of Elena. Her opponent played quite aggressive, just like she said in the interview. Other than that, I don't see any thing so special that maybe a big danger for Daniela. Of course Daniela still has to play her best to get through bc as we can see, her opponent can really take advantage of an off-form top player.

The key for the next match is IMO to move her opponent as much as possible and don't give her time to dictate the point. Daniela has to be patient a bit, not try to go for crazy shots too often. If she just hangs out there and keeps fighting, I think she definitely has a chance.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 10:00 

Local Time:
Stadium 1 (from 11.00hrs)
1. ATP: Mathieu vs. Murray
2. ATP: Blake vs. González (NB 13.00hrs)
3. Ivanovic vs. Dulko
4. ATP: Karlovic vs. Federer
5. Hantuchova vs. Cetkovska (NB 19.30hrs)
6. ATP: Andreev vs. Tsonga (NB 21.00hrs)

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 11:40 

Local Time:
I forgot to mention one obvious reason why Daniela left Gimenez. He didn't want to travel with her.This surprises me.He did after all travel to Australia,Indian Wells and Beijing with her last year.You could argue that ballbashing brought her success in 2002.Not what I remember from that year at all. She approached the net far more regularly than she does know and even threw in the occasion serve-volley. Besides what Daniela does can't be described as ball-bashing,it's all beautiful timing and technique!I think it has more to do with confidence. Until that match against Hingis in Doha Daniela didn't show anything special despite being with Gimenez for some time already.Don't know about this. Good things were happening in the fall of 2006(excellent indoor season),and would have been even better if she hadn't become a complete headcase when it came to serving out sets in the US hardcourt series.This is where we should agree to disagree.I meant in comparison to what followed in the next few years.

BTW,Safin leaving the tour to go climbing mountains is the funniest thing he's ever done,and that's saying something!

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 18:39 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 05:04

That's great news. But just in case it's not on television, I hope someone can find a livestream for us.

EDIT: For what it's worth, Daniela's official website posted that her match against Cetkovska will start tonight at 7:30 PM. I'm not sure if that's Eastern Time or something else.

EDIT Again: Yeah, I think danielitsa's post confirms it's at 7:30 tonight, just not sure what time zone.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 19:31 

Local Time:
It's Indian Wells time zone. So Pacific? Not sure how you label them.

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 19:37 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 03:04
It's only right that Daniela's the main event of the evening as she's won this tournament twice as much as the rest of the draw combined.

You've got to respect Cetkovska as she had a good win against Dementieva. She was aggressive, went for her shots and did what she could to dictate the match and she took advantage of Dementieva's mistakes.
It is a little similar to Dubai when Daniela was expected to play one of the top players but instead faced a much lower ranked opponent. I don't think Cetkovska's as good as Razzano as Razzano had had quite a few good wins and performances against top players prior to Dubai while Cetkovksa's only other win against a top player was against Bartoli in Birmingham last year when Bartoli was losing a lot of early matches. I saw Cetkovska's match against Kateryna Bondarenko there and Bondarenko was the better player and controlled the match. Cetkovska seemed a decent enough player, but didn't seem to have any exceptional shots or weapons and she faded after losing the first set. That's the only time I've seen her play a full match so it is a very small sample size.

Anyone that can beat Dementieva can beat Daniela but I feel that a lot will depend on Cetkovska's reaction to that win. She could take a lot of confidence from it and play well; alternatively, she could still be on a high and not be focused or she could feel a lot of pressure as she had nothing to lose and no pressure against Dementieva but now there's expectation and scrutiny as she's playing a night match in a big tournament, so we'll see how she copes with it. Daniela loves the Stadium court at Indian Wells, so I'm sure she'll be up for this. Daniela can't be complacent and she has to be focused and play with intensity. It's really important that Daniela builds on the momentum from beating Wickmayer and this is a good chance for her to do so.

I don't think that we should assume that Hogstedt is going to turn Daniela into nothing more than a ballbasher. When Hogstedt was coaching Kiefer, Kiefer was pretty adept at messing up the opponent's game, although to an extent I think that's the sort of guy Kiefer is.
Also, what Hogstedt can do is get Daniela used to facing a lot of power in practice and give her the chance to try out different tactics and techniques in the face of big groundstrokes and power. It can give her the chance to try to serve and volley and approach the net against powerful shots, try things that spin and slice and also to practice her retrieving and movement against powerful groundstrokes.

The start time is the local time in Indian Wells which is in the Pacific time zone, so it's 7 hours behind GMT and 8 behind CET.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 19:59 

Local Time:
I hope that there will be a good live stream :) unfortenatly i think it will be 3.30 in the morning in germany, but it doesn't matter ^^ :D I want to see her live and not only following the sb...

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 20:01 

Local Time:
|16. June 2024| 03:04
It seems you can get ATP livestreams easily but the WTA livestreams are blocked. They really want you to subscribe to tennistv or eurosport player. Which is great but I can't get tennistv and I don't think eurosport player works on macs.

I discovered these stream which have Stadium court: . They're both showing the Murray match right now so I don't know if they just show ATP or if they'll show Daniela's match.

This might be worth trying:

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 16. March 2009 21:15 

Local Time:
This surprises me.He did after all travel to Australia,Indian Wells and Beijing with her last year.Is it surprising? Daniela often complained about it. She wasn't accompanied by any coach during US Open series 2007 for example.

As for today, a lot will depend on how Daniela deals with Petra's backhand slices as that is the shot she hits the most. Drive backhand is almost non-existent from what I remember.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 386 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next