Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: WTA Tour Season 2009
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 01:26 

Local Time:
|4. May 2024| 06:46
Bartoli has had a great start against world number 1 Jankovic in their fourth round encounter. Consistently hitting the lines; playing with both power and accuracy. Although she isn't one of my favourite players, it is nice to see anyone start a match as well as this.
A very strong contender in the top half of the draw in my oppinion (I think I said this a few days ago on the Aus Open thread too).

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 01:49 

Local Time:
Bartoli has taken the first set against Jankovic. :shock:
Scoreline: 6-1
Bartoli had two set points in the sixth game on Jankovic's serve, which would have given her a bagel set, highlighting how dominant she was throughout the set.
15 winners from Bartoli, and just 5 unforced errors. Jankovic on the other hand had just 5 winners, and 4 unforced errors.
At the moment Bartoli is able to hit winners from about anywhere on the court, and her winners off the return have been exceptional.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 04:05 

Local Time:
|4. May 2024| 07:46
That was quite letargic performance by Jankovic, especially in the 1st set. Her 2nd serves were donuts for Bartoli's return to eat, loopy forehands again proved to be absolutelly useless and her defense and court coverage didn't look particularly strong. All credit to Bartoli however, she was impressive off the ground.

edit: Can't believe Cornet lost. Can you say Safina the world number one?

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 10:52 

Local Time:
Her 2nd serves were donuts for Bartoli's return to eat

I didn't watch the match but thanks to your nice metaphor I'm having a good impression ^^

Can you say Safina the world number one?
:?
Safina probably can't:

"I played really like a junior today," she said, cutting herself no slack whatsoever. "I think it's just lucky that I went through. But really it's sad that I can do these kind of mistakes. Really, it's sad what I did today."

"My coach is telling me at 5‑4, ‘Hit the ball’," she said. "I telling myself, ‘Hit the ball’, and just arm doesn't go because my mind is just stupid."

BTW: Is anyone watching Dokic vs. Kleybanova? Very entertaining match, long ralleys, good shots and thrilling. I hope Dokic wins this =)

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 12:59 

Local Time:
Dokic won 7-5 5-7 8-6 :shock: :wav: :bananasrock: :bounce:

That was such a great and emotional match, amazing. One of the best women's matches I've ever seen.

In the 3rd set at 6-5 she returned a serve from Kleybanova and twisted her ankle. But she kept on fighting and fired by the Australian fans she finally advanced to the Quarterfinals against Safina :mrgreen:

Go Jelena!!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 13:02 

Local Time:
Dokic has gone through to her first grand slam quarter-final since Wimbledon 2000, beating Kleybanova 7-5 5-7 8-6!
She was on court for over three hours, and also went over on her ankle towards the end of the match, so I'm not sure what she will be able to bring to that quarter-final, particuarly since its against Safina, who clearly wants to improve her game for her next match.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 13:39 

Local Time:
|4. May 2024| 13:46
Today match is surprisingly good.

In the day session, Bartoli managed to pullout a huge upset against Jankovic. Even though I don't like Bartoli so much, she played well and control the game nice and smooth. She also played very consistent from the start of the game. Jankovic just can't handled it today.

And Dokic...

I think I begin to like her. She won all of her matches in tough 3rd setter. So I guess she will also have a hard time against Safina? I still hope she will advance through Semifinal. Both is my favorite player but for this time I prefer Dokic.

Life Is Tense When Daniela Hantuchova is The Main Hot Stuff Of Our Life.
Hahahahaha

Hey guys! Visit my blog if you have some times to spend okay!

Profile YIM

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 14:12 

Local Time:
|4. May 2024| 05:46
Dokic is going to climb a lot in ranks .. maybe to top 100 :D

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 14:17 

Local Time:
yes, the german commentator said before the match that reaching the QF means being back in top 100 =)

Site Admin
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 14:57 

Local Time:
I was impressed with Bartoli today. Which is a difficult thing to say when you really don't like the player. But she was playing great. Hitting winners from everywhere, and some great returns which I love in general.
I also liked her on court post-match interview, when commenting on her QF opponent.

I fell a sleep during the Federer match, so didn't watch Dokic, but what a success she has had here. She'll be top100 when the tournament is over, great work from her.

Can't believe Cornet lost. Can you say Safina the world number one?

I guess you don't like the idea of having Safina as number 1. Who would you then prefer?

Profile WWW

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 19:03 

Local Time:
Dokic vs. Kleybanova was one of the best matches I saw in womens tennis for a long time.
I'm so happy Dokic won that one. She really deserves it after such a hard time. Clearly one of my favourite players on the tour.
I think she has also good chances against Safina. Would be great if she could reach the the SF.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 19:15 

Local Time:
Dokic vs. Kleybanova was one of the best matches I saw in womens tennis for a long time.
I'm so happy Dokic won that one. She really deserves it after such a hard time. Clearly one of my favourite players on the tour.
I think she has also good chances against Safina. Would be great if she could reach the the SF.

I personally think she has the potential to reach the final. Safina is a winnable match, as is Bartoli, and Zvonareva is still someone who can fall to pressure and get frustrated if things aren't going her way (e.g. her Doha final against Venus), so a noisy, passionate Aussi crowd could well take Dokic all the way to the final, which I would love to see.
I have the same feeling that I had at the start of Indian Wells and Linz in 2007, when I felt Daniela was destined to win the title. I think Dokic could well go to the final here.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 21:54 

Local Time:
yes, the german commentator said before the match that reaching the QF means being back in top 100 =)

indeed .. "After years in the ranking doldrums - she sank to the 600s at one point - the former world No.4 is headed for a return to the Top 100 when the next list is released on Monday week."
font: wtatour

Site Admin
PostPosted: 25. January 2009 23:05 

Local Time:
Dokic hits very cleanly from both sides, not much variety in her game. 2nd serve is very flat, which is the reason for so many doublefaults. She always had problems with it. Afew times I was very impressed by the way she constructed points to approach the net and hit a volley winner. And Kleybanova? I remember her playing Daniela at Wimby last year, I saw that match via livestream, and couldn't believe how much her footwork and defense has improved. She also hits very nasty short crosscourt forehand although backhand is her stronger wing overall. Serve needs a lot of work. Considering her height it's atrocious.
I guess you don't like the idea of having Safina as number 1. Who would you then prefer?
Your are correct. Basically I would prefer anyone from the top 10 over her, even Serena.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 26. January 2009 02:37 

Local Time:
And Carla Suarez Navarro is in QF ! She won her match against the 21st seed Anabel Medina Garrigues , 6-3 , 6-2 ! :O
On the next ranking list she'll be already ahead of Daniela .. with the QF in the AO she'll have 1692 points , that will give her the 30th spot , pushing Daniela to 33rd .

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next